11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2010 7:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere Elements 7

jetanddug

My Canon camera does HD movie in .mov format.  I have saved these to my computer which is running Windows 7.  Elements 7 is supposed to be compatible with .mov files however, when I try to import any .mov files to it, I get the message "this type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed.  I have made a number of movies in this program using mpeg and avi files with no problem.  Can anyone advise me how to solve this problem please?  Please don't tell me to find the answer on the net because I'm 'hopeless' with surfing the net and can never work out how to download or what options to choose!  

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Well, MOV is like AVI and WMV, in that it is but a wrapper. This ARTICLE will give you some background on that, plus tell you how to determine what is inside the wrapper.

Now, with MOV files, it is likely to be H.264, a popular HD CODEC. Do you have the latest version of Apple's QT Player? If not, I'd download that, as it should install the H.264 CODEC.

For some background on CODEC's, take a look at this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is this video by any chance from a still camera?

If so, you'll need to convert the footage to more traditional DV-AVIs or hi-def HDV before you can edit it in Premiere Elements. Quicktime Pro will do this for you. It is available from Apple.com for $29 and I highly recommend it.

But you usually can't edit video directly from still cameras in Premiere Elements.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jetanddug

What is the name and model for the Canon from which your video comes? And, to what mode do you have the Canon set for recording?

And, what are you setting as the Premiere Elements 7.0 project preset (new project dialog)?

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                jetanddug Level 1

Thanks Bill, I downloaded the latest version of Quicktime and my problem is solved

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                  jetanddug Level 1

The camera is a PowerShot SX1 IS.  I was shooting in widescreen HD movie mode.  However, I've downloaded the latest version of Quicktime as suggested by Bill Hunt and my problem is solved. 

Thanks for your efforts

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                    jetanddug Level 1

Thanks for the information. My camera is primarily a still camera, however, downloading the latest version of Quicktime solved the problem.  I can now import the .mov files direct to Elements 7.

Cheers

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news and thank you for reporting.

PrE interfaces much more closely with QT, than does its "big-brother" PrPro, so updating that often fixes seemingly unrelated issues.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                        P_Forrest Level 1

The Canon (still) digital camera free software "ZoomBrowser EX" that comes with the camera will also convert those HD MOVs to AVIs.  That's what I do, but one must NOT use the default video AVI conversion settings.   One has to use the best quality AVI conversion settings.

Petey

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

For others with that, or a similar Canon, can you please list the settings that should be used? I had not heard that, but feel that others will benefit.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                            P_Forrest Level 1

I have a Canon SD780 IS digital camera that I bought in 2009. My older Canon digital camera gave up the ghost and it saved videos in .AVI format.  The newer Canons with HD video save in .MOV format.  So, I had to figure out how to convert that with the Canon ZoomBrowser EX software without using QuickTime Pro (that I have).

1.  Open the ZoomBrowser EX (6.3)
                            2.  Select the .MOV video you want to convert
                            3.  Click on the "Export" button on the left side bar
                            4.  Click on the "Export Movies" button
                            5.  Select "AVI (MotionJPEG) from the "Save image type" pulldown menu
                            6.  Click on "Next"
                            7.  Select the "No change" radio button
                            8.  Select "30" Frames/second"
                            9.  Put the Image Quality slider to "High"
                            10. Keep the audio on "Automatic" unless you want CD quality (16 bit 44.100 kHz Stereo) - I believe the new Canons this year have stereo sound.
                            11. Click on "Next"
                            12. Add a name in the "Prefix" box and select the "Assign Sequence No." radio button
                            13. Click on "Finish"

These settings will stay as a default for the next time.  That is handy.

Petey

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

Thank you for your time. That info will definitely be useful to others, and we can link to this thread, to point them here with similar Canon cameras.

Appreciated,

Hunt