12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 2:03 PM by the_wine_snob

CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality

Wilder169

Hey guys,

I'm new to Adobe Forums and I'm not the sharpest at Adobe Premiere but I have been using it for years. Recently I upgraded my Camcorder to a Sony HDR-CX110 Handycam, its format is 1920x1080, 30 fps, HD 1080p, MTS raw file. I've tried numerous ways of exporting and have uploaded to Facebook only to find the video become choppy and not smooth, with less quality. I did however find one format that played excellent but the file size was not to bad, but big enough to only allow 10mins video to be uploaded without any flashy effects. I'd problay get around 8mins with alot of effects. My old MiniDV Camcorder could export files at half the size but it isn't HD allowing me up to 20mins of Video. I understand HD has to be a bigger file where its a better picture but there has to be a way to get the file size smaller with almost the same quality. Any help with this would be great! Thank you.

• 1. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
          shooternz Level 6

Just so you know...applying effects to your movie does not add to the eventual size of the file once exported.

There is no way that a computer on the Internet  can stream video as if it were playing back from your camera (for example).

It is streamed from heavily compressed files.  This means a quality loss.

So what you are looking for is a "compromise" that will take trial and error to achieve based on some known presets that work.

So...What are the specs for a movie upload to FaceBook ? (and I presume it streams from there)

• 2. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
            Wilder169 Level 1

This is all the information I could gather on the website. Which one of these would you recommend for loosing the least amount of quality since there is no choice but to loose some as you said before. Thanks for the tips so far. I appreciate your quick response. CS5 has a lot of these export formats but I'm sure you already know this.

• The video is under 1024 MB and under 20 minutes.
            We currently only support the following extensions:
            • 3g2 (Mobile Video)
            • 3gp (Mobile Video)
            • 3gpp (Mobile Video)
            • asf (Windows Media Video)
            • avi (AVI Video)
            • dat (MPEG Video)
            • flv (Flash Video)
            • m4v (MPEG-4 Video)
            • mkv (Matroska Format)
            • mod (MOD Video)
            • mov (QuickTime Movie)
            • mp4 (MPEG-4 Video)
            • mpe (MPEG Video)
            • mpeg (MPEG Video)
            • mpeg4 (MPEG-4 Video)
            • mpg (MPEG Video)
            • nsv (Nullsoft Video)
            • ogm (Ogg Media Format)
            • ogv (Ogg Video Format)
            • qt (QuickTime Movie)
            • tod (TOD Video)
            • vob (DVD Video)
            • wmv (Windows Media Video)
            • 3. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, not much to go on there.

For HD material, many here recommend the WMV HD, then FLV and then H.264 in MP4 wrapper for YouTube. Other than the file size and duration, I'd guess that FaceBook is very similar, and that they also heavily compress with re-encoding, just like YouTube.

Ann Bens has offered some specifics to the WMV HD (IIRC) settings for YouTube. I do not have one of her replies bookmarked, but if you do a Search of this (or the CS4 and older) forum, for "youtube+WMV" and then Filter on People = Ann Bens, you should find it several times. Look for later ones, as YouTube loves to change the specs. often, so what worked for a user a year ago, might well be useless, or nearly so, today.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                Wilder169 Level 1

I'll give these ideas a shot for sure. Thank you for the help. While I have you here, instead of making a new discussion maybe you can help me with one more question. As I said before I have CS5, and I have a Digital camera along with my Sony Handycam. The Digital Camera records in 720p HD 30 fps 1280x720 its a Canon SD780 Powershot.

The problem, when I import the .mov files it records in, I only get the video on the timeline and no Audio in the audio section. I get the sound, but its all in one for some reason. Meaning I can't edit the Audio, or cut it up because the Audio and Video are all in one if you follow. I really hope this doesn't mean I can't edit my videos audio separately. Any help would be great, thank you again!

• 5. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Wilder,

Let's put one of the new features of CS5 to the test. In CS5, if you drag your source file to the New icon, it will create a new Sequence for you, to the specs. of the file. Let's see how this works with your footage. Did you get the playback then?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                    Wilder169 Level 1

Sorry if this is naive, but what new icon do you mean? Also, I always was able to get playback, I just couldn't separate the Audio from the video on the timeline. The only way I have found to do this, is to export it to a mepg file then import it back into CS5, only then does it separate the Audio from the Video on the timeline like all other videos. Maybe you know exactly what I mean, an this new icon is the answer. I look forward to your response.

Thank you again.

• 7. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Project Panel (unless CS 5 moved it), there is a little icon at the bottom of the Panel. It's been historically a little dog-eared "page." It is used to create many different "New" Assets, like Black Video, SmartSound music, Sequences, etc.. In CS5 it now creates a Sequence, not with the dialog screen of details, but just by dragging an Asset to it.

If it has been moved about, or if the graphic has been changed, someone will correct me.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                        Wilder169 Level 1

Untitled.png

If you can see, the bottom writing says "No Audio in Audio 1" the top writing says "Audio and Video are in one".

I looked for the button you addressed earlier but to no luck. If you are on the same page as me after looking

at this picture, can you give me some more details on this button you speak of?

Thanks again for the patience.

Wilder

• 9. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the look of the Project Panel in PrPro 2.0. It should be similar in CS5, with maybe some additions, and perhaps a little placement differences. The New Item icon is circled.

New_Item_Icon_01.jpg

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                            jeremy d. Level 3

Are you sure that the clip you're dragging in has both audio and video?

Seems to me that there are certain formats that split the two into separate media in the Project panel.

• 11. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                              Wilder169 Level 1

Yes it does have both Audio and Video. Like I said before, I had to make the .mov into a .mpeg file in order to get the Audio to appear in Audio 1. I still hear the sound, its like the Video has the Audio all in one. Hunt I found the tab but making a new sequence doesn't really help me where the sequence I'am using works perfect with other formats. If there is no solution I can just export the .mov files into a .mpeg, then reimport the .mpeg to do the editing.

Thanks for everyone's help and sorry I took up your time!

• 12. Re: CS5 HD Exporting for Facebook Without Loosing Quality
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Is the Audio in your MPEG, also MPEG Audio? Many Adobe products have issues with MPEG Audio. I would look into doing a conversion to PCM/WAV Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt