10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2007 12:55 PM by Wayne_1977

Is a clean install really this hard?

Wayne_1977
      Hi folks,

I installed Flexbuilder 2 over my existing Eclipse installation, choosing the "plug-in" option rather than a complete install. But I couldn't debug: it claimed I had to install FlashPlayer 9 (yes, it was already installed and working) or Flexbuilder needed re-installing. (I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP, fully patched). I tried re-installing Flexbuilder but the install process quit when it saw the existing installation. Due to deadlines, I elected to make due with Alert.show() rather than the integrated debugger. Man, does that slow you down!

But now the deadline has passed, and I have a few minutes to uninstall and reinstall things. So I uninstalled flashplayer, the flex plugin, elcipse (just by renaming the directory - it doesn't seem to have any windows hooks). Then I reinstalled Flexbuilder, using the Complete option rather than the plug-in option.

After spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how open an existing project from a clean install (I couldn't find anything in the docs on that), I'm now in a different mess. When I run the project from within the IDE, it launches Firefox against the wrong directory path - it seems to have an extra "/bin/" in the path. Anyone know where I fix that?

I can repair the broken path in the web browser to get the app running, but as soon as I do, I get this error message:

Error: Unable to load style(Error #2035: URL Not Found. URL: blue.swf): blue.swf.
      at ()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\styles\StyleManagerImpl.as:842]
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction()
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
      at ModuleManager.as$117::ModuleInfoProxy/ModuleManager.as$117:ModuleInfoProxy::moduleEventHa ndler()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\modules\ModuleManager.as:1025]
      at flash.events::EventDispatcher/flash.events:EventDispatcher::dispatchEventFunction()
      at ModuleManager.as$117::ModuleInfo/errorHandler()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\mod ules\ModuleManager.as:686]

There are no references to blue.swf in my app so I really have no idea where this is coming from.

It also can't find the debugger, and asks me if it's running on the local machine or a remote machine. wtf? (Windows Firewall is turned off). Doesn't matter what I say, it doesn't like it and I have to hit the cancel button. Then my app comes up with missing controls and assorted broken functionality.

I must say that my experience with this product is poor and getting poorer. Can someone help me out of the corner I'm painted into?

Many thanks,

ws

p.s. Typing long posts like this into such a small window is also very annoying.

• 1. Is a clean install really this hard?
          levancho Level 3
          assuming : you are using basic Flex Project with not web Server?
          bin path is specified in : (right click on project --> select properties . in dialog click on Project build Path --> look at Output Folder .
          2) you can Also Configure Run properties by clicking : "down pointing arrow" next to green Play button and selecting "run ..." on EClipse GUi and in Dialog you will understand all configurations are there, including a url etc ...
          3) are you running sample application? if so does it have modules in it?
          if so (small bug: if you have module (mxml) file open and active, and you tried to run application, flex builder will try to run that module swf file isntead ob main application file.
          3) regarding debugger : try to download debug versions of flash player from adobe site and manually install them. after that make sure to close all browsers and lunch debug session from within Flex Builder.(click on bug icon )

• 2. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
            Wayne_1977 Level 1
            The project I'm working on is of the type Flex Data Services, rather than basic. I have weborb 3.2 and IIS 6 running on my local machine, and wish to develop and debug locally. Does that change any of the advice you gave in your post?

Also, FlashPlayer was installed via the Flexbuilder install. Would it not install the correct debug version of Flashplayer?

Thanks,

ws
            • 3. Is a clean install really this hard?
              levancho Level 3
              then you have to access flexxapp through IIS url instead of file so that means during build you have to make sure buit swf files etc get copied under IIS web root directory , one way to do is to specify that directory as output folder (instead of bin) in (right click on project --> select properties . in dialog click on Project build Path --> look at Output Folder .
              and specify a IIS url for "Output Folder URL" something like http://localhost/appname .

Regarding Flash debug version Player : I manunaly installed it from adobe for both firefox and IE and it worked right away.
              • 4. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
                Wayne_1977 Level 1
                Thanks - I changed the Project Properties | Flex Build Path | Output Folder to point to the IIS's web root, and that broke things even further. Now when I bring up the project properties the Output Folder is blank, and no matter what I set it to, it remains blank on subsequent invocations. Although the swf file lands where I've asked, this diaglog box shows a blank Output Folder. Worse, the little drop-downs beside the Run and Debug icons on the top bar no long drop down. Clicking on the run or debug icons produces nothing other than some flickering in the project navigation pane every few seconds. No browser is launched, and nothing else happens.

grrrrr

I also tried installing the flash player debug version. The adobe website didn't bother mentioning firefox, so I'm assuming I should install what they called the "Netscape Compatible" version. Is this right?

Thanks for your help,

ws
                • 5. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
                  Wayne_1977 Level 1
                  Well the situation has changed - now I'm back to where I started!!

I changed the Output Folder URL to point where it should. Now the Debug and Run buttons work. But I get the same error I was getting before this whole install/reinstall debacle started:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Flex Builder cannot locate the required version of the Flash Player. You may need to install Flash Player 9.0 or reinstall Flex Builder. Do you want to try to run your application with the current version?

I've checked and the file does not exist anywhere in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\... tree.

What to do now?

Thanks,

ws

• 6. Is a clean install really this hard?
                    levancho Level 3
                    Debug : before Installing debug versions of flash player : Uninstall flash player completely from remove/programms.

Eclipse : .project does it say something like that ?

<projectDescription>
                    <name>myproject</name>
                    <comment></comment>
                    <projects>
                    <project>my-refferenced-projects</project>
                    </projects>
                    <buildSpec>
                    <buildCommand>
                    <name>com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.flexbuilder</name>
                    <arguments>
                    </arguments>
                    </buildCommand>
                    </buildSpec>
                    <natures>
                    <nature>com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.flexnature</nature>
                    <nature>com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscriptnature</nature>
                    </natures>
                    <linkedResources>
                    <link>
                    <name>bin</name>
                    <type>2</type>
                    <location>D:/path/to/your/app/server/web/root/</location>
                    </link>
                    </linkedResources>
                    </projectDescription>

did you tried changing <location>D:/path/to/your/app/server/web/root/</location> manualy?

not very familiar with weborb but I guess it acts as server for flex (to compile mxml files maybe ?) ( I use tomcat)
                    this case not sure how weborb setup works regarding: being integrated with IIS.

also very important after you build flex app what do you se inside IIS web root directory I eman what files?
                    • 7. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
                      Wayne_1977 Level 1
                      I removed the Flash player via Add/Remove programs, then installed the debug version I downloaded from adobe. You didn't indicate whether I had chosen the correct download (as per my last post), so I'll assume it's correct. The message window from the install said this:

Output folder: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
                      Extract: NPSWF32.dll... 100%
                      Extract: NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe... 100%
                      Extract: flashplayer.xpt... 100%
                      Created uninstaller: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe
                      Completed

NPSWF32.dll landed in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash, rather than Program Files\Mozilla\PlugIns, which is obviously wrong. I copied it over, and that solved the bug about "can't find npswf32.dll". Any idea why this gets installed in the wrong directory? Is something else configured wrong?

With that somewhat solved, we're back to the first problem - when the application launches, I get this message pop up:

Error: Unable to load style(Error #2035: URL Not Found. URL: blue.swf): blue.swf.
                      at MethodInfo-636()
                      at ::ModuleInfoProxy/::moduleEventHandler()
                      at ::ModuleInfo/errorHandler()

And finally, and new error: "Send Failed". This error pops up as soon as I try to do something with my app that calls the back end (weborb) server. I pointed to a different server and got the same error, so it's a problem on this client. This problem didn't start until I uninstalled and re-installed everything this morning (see my first post for details). Now this error is sooooo generic I have no idea how to debug it. Along those lines, are you an Adobe employee levancho? I'm wondering if you might be able to bring in someone with a bit of weborb experience (although I doubt it's related, since this worked fine on my previous install).

In case this helps, here's my .project file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                      <projectDescription>
                      <name>sp6</name>
                      <comment></comment>
                      <projects>
                      </projects>
                      <buildSpec>
                      <buildCommand>
                      <name>com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.flexbuilder</name>
                      <arguments>
                      </arguments>
                      </buildCommand>
                      </buildSpec>
                      <natures>
                      <nature>com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.flexnature</nature>
                      <nature>com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscriptnature</nature>
                      </natures>
                      </projectDescription>

Thanks for all your help,

ws
                      • 8. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
                        levancho Level 3
                        I am not an employee, but there is a user here: Peter Flynn, which is one of the engineers of Flex Builder as I understand, he does come around often .

FYi I just found this article regarding blue.swf
                        http://nwebb.co.uk/blog/?p=81

• 9. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
                          Wayne_1977 Level 1
                          Cool - thanks! That problem is now fixed!

Last one remaining: "Send Failed" Any ideas? Like I said, this worked before my uninstall/reinstall.
                          • 10. Re: Is a clean install really this hard?
                            Wayne_1977 Level 1
                            I found the remaining piece of the puzzle - Eclipse whacked my /bin directory when I was messing with the Output Folder setting. Having restored that, I'm now up & running. Thanks for all the help levancho !!

ws