4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2007 9:47 AM by ntsiii

flex and sql server

Level 7
      Hi All,
      anyone has a link or example in how to connect flex 2 app with MS SQL server
      database?
      Thanks

JFB

• 1. Re: flex and sql server
          ntsiii Level 3
          What is your preferred server-side platform / language?

You understand that Flex cannot connect directly to any database, right?

I use .net to proxy all my data service calls, often using FOR XML [raw, auto, explicit] to retun xml from SQL Server, which I pass directly back to Flex using HTTPService and e4x xml.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: flex and sql server
            Level 7
            Yes Tracy,
            Can I see an example of .net using webservices?
            But this is just to get the data or I can update the data in this way?
            Normaly I used coldfusion and cfc's but no for this project.
            Thanks

JFB

"ntsiii" <tspratt@lariatinc.com> wrote in message
            news:faj1el$p13$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > What is your preferred server-side platform / language?
            >
            > You understand that Flex cannot connect directly to any database, right?
            >
            > I use .net to proxy all my data service calls, often using FOR XML [raw,
            > auto,
            > explicit] to retun xml from SQL Server, which I pass directly back to Flex
            > using HTTPService and e4x xml.
            >
            > Tracy
            >

• 3. Re: flex and sql server
              DominicV
              You can use web services to get data from SQL Server 2005 using SQL Server 2005 http endpoints see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345123.aspx
              • 4. Re: flex and sql server
                ntsiii Level 3
                Hey, that's right, I forgot about that SQL Server 2005 HTTP stuff. That might work for you.

I don't have any clean samples of the server code. And i don't use Webservice, I prefer HTTPService.

Oh, I do have a couple examples of using HTTPService with .net on cflex.net. No DB work though.

Tracy