3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2011 10:35 AM by Mikephotophoto RSS

Moving layers from one image to another in tabbed windows

Aegis Kleais Community Member

I don't know if it's currently possible, but I've tried every which way.  But I have 8 adjustment layers I want to move from one image

to another in the tabbed window interface.  Once selected, COPY LAYERS is grayed out.  I tried to ALT + DRAG them to the image tab I wanted to move them to but it never focuses the tab and I cannot move the layers over.

• 1. Re: Moving layers from one image to another in tabbed windows
          Reynolds (Mark) Community Member

You can do this. You need to drag the layers from the document window, and not from the layers panel. You need to wait (quite a long time) for the switch to take place.

Its not particularly intuitive, or well implemented function, because of the needless long pause. Its also not a Feature Request.

Its a function that becomes necessary only because of the poorly conceived 'tabbed windows' system. Necessary only for people that don't realise that this gunk can be switched off. Its the kind of feature that looks like it was implemented by someone with absolutely no idea how Photoshop has historically worked. ie fast. I suspect its just as stupidly implemented in CS5 as it was CS4, although I never tested it when trialing CS5.

• 2. Re: Moving layers from one image to another in tabbed windows
            Aegis Kleais Community Member

Well if I knew the feature exists in one way or another, I wouldn't have posted it in the Feature Requests.  It was because it seemed to be absent that I did.

I enjoy a tab-less experience, however I abhor how PSCS5 handles non-tabbed documents in Windows 7 taskbar.  it opens a unique block for each open document you have.  So if I have 20 images open as I'm slicing up a design, I have 20 Photoshop CS5 blocks at the bottom.

I don't like the Windows 7 "Taskbar Grouping" because when you click on Photoshop, it doesn't just go to Photoshop like it should, it instead opens up a menu for you to then select Photoshop (and focus it as wanted) or select an open image.

These all seem to be steps backwards...

• 3. Re: Moving layers from one image to another in tabbed windows
              Mikephotophoto Community Member

I know this Question is old but it came up after googling and I wanted to share the solution I found as I was trying to do this as well.

Select layers to be copyied
              Right click on layers

click Duplicate Layers

Select destination as what ever document you have open in PS
              Done

This works in cs5 not sure for older versions.