5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2007 9:22 PM by Newsgroup_User

Shockwave 10.2.0.023

Charles Parcell Level 1
      All,

The day has finally come! I can not tell you how excited I am about this monumental day!!

Adobe has just released an updated version of the Shockwave Player that does not contain a redirect at the end of installation!!!! NO MORE SHOCKWAVE.COM !!!!!!!

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/?promoid=BIOY
      or
      Full Installer
        • 1. Re: Shockwave 10.2.0.023
          Chunick Level 3
          that is a wonderful thing, however it does have, by default, the option to install Norton Security Scan checked for installation... an 'opt out' instead of 'opt in'... sigh! trade one evil for another, I guess.
          • 2. Re: Shockwave 10.2.0.023
            Level 7
            Chunick wrote:
            > that is a wonderful thing, however it does have, by default, the
            > option to install Norton Security Scan checked for installation... an
            > 'opt out' instead of 'opt in'... sigh! trade one evil for another, I
            > guess.

Norton Security Scan? I get the google toolbar "option" - did you happen to
            have the google toolbar installed already, so it tries to push something
            else on you?

Oh! I set up a virtual machine to test that, and it is indeed the case. I
            wonder what comes after NSS (which appears to need to download something
            like 37MB of updates)...

[Uninstalls SW player and goes to a site with SW content. SW installer
            language selection dialog appears under the browser (IE6/W2K). Grrrr.]

Well, it looks like there isn't anything else after the google toolbar and
            NSS.

Here's an idea: if Adobe took out the extra downloads and made the language
            selection dialog appear on top of the browser, it might be a viable option
            to use SW for commercial clients!

Andrew

• 3. Re: Shockwave 10.2.0.023
              Charles Parcell Level 1
              The payload has changed in this release of the player. The Google toolbar is out and Norton is in. Now, with that said, the folks at Adobe told me that if you had previously been given the option to download the Google toolbar, then you should not have asked to install Norton Scan. I have made them aware of this issue. But I could use your help.

Please use the Bug Report link in my sig to report that you were asked to install Norton even after you had previously installed SWP and had been asked about the Google toolbar.
              • 4. Re: Shockwave 10.2.0.023
                Level 7
                Charles Parcell wrote:
                > The payload has changed in this release of the player. The Google
                > toolbar is out and Norton is in.

Not in my experience. Now it's even worse: if it doesn't get you one way
                it'll try another.

> Now, with that said, the folks at
                > Adobe told me that if you had previously been given the option to
                > download the Google toolbar, then you should not have asked to
                > install Norton Scan. I have made them aware of this issue. But I
                > could use your help.

> Please use the Bug Report link in my sig

Errr....sigless to the newsgroup.

Environment: Fully patched IE6 on W2000 running under Virtual PC 2007 on XP
                Pro.

0) Uninstall Google toolbar, NSS and the Shockwave player.

1) Visit a site with SW content. Install the SW player, agreeing to
                everything. The Google toolbar is suggested; let it install it.

2) Uninstall SW player.

3) Visit a site with SW content. Install the SW player, agreeing to
                everything. /This/ time Norton System Scan is suggested.

4) Uninstall SW player and the Google toolbar.

5) Visit a site with SW content. Install the SW player; the Google toolbar
                is suggested again. Decline it.

6) Uninstall SW player.

7) Visit site again. The Google toolbar is still suggested, even though it
                was declined the last time round, so the uninstaller may be doing a thorough
                job (good!).

Occasionally the language selection dialog was under the browser; I
                discerned no pattern to that happening, but obviously QA will be doing a
                more thorough job than me... ;-)

Andrew

• 5. Re: Shockwave 10.2.0.023
                  Level 7
                  Andrew Morton wrote:

> Here's an idea: if Adobe took out the extra downloads and made the language
                  > selection dialog appear on top of the browser, it might be a viable option
                  > to use SW for commercial clients!

Hi Andrew,

That's not the way the Adobe Execs think. It's not
                  - What can we do to increase SW development?
                  but more likely
                  - What can we do to increase revenue from SW?

It seems that Macromedia and Adobe treat SW separate to Director. And, in this
                  point in time, SW revenue is most likely far greater than Director sales. We
                  had the Yahoo toolbar with SW for some time and that did not generate upgrade
                  development to Director. We then got Google, and nothing much changed. Now
                  Norton. We are getting a new Director from Adobe and hopefully they will show
                  their commitment to the product with future versions. As for Shockwave, all we
                  can hope for is a better SW install experience. It will never be perfect (clean
                  from all revenue making payloads).

regards
                  Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                  http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                  http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                  email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au