10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 10:01 AM by glaustin

Moving to PremierePro

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guy

I've just bought CS5. I'm half way through a project that is on another, non-Adobe, editing programme but I'm thinking of re-creating it in Pr. The project is straight forward but involves editing several hours of an event (filmed using a Sony Z1E). So far I've captured about half of the clips (Mpg2) from the Z1 using the other capture programme.

My question is would I face a quality mismatch if I use the clips captured using the other programme together with the clips I'm about to capture using Pr or would it be best to go back to the begining and re-capture all the clips using Pr (which would be a good few hours work)?

I've used Pr CS4 several times recently and got on pretty well, so I don't think I'll have a big learning curve for this particular project (famous last words).

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Graham

• 1. Re: Moving to PremierePro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not knowing which program you used for capture, I can't say for sure, but it is very likely that you can just import the footage. Capturing is a digital transfer of data and it does not change anything. Try it to be sure, but my guess is that importing will work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving to PremierePro
            shooternz Level 6

A little test will soon tell you but I cant see any reason why there should be any difference between

them unless they are created as "intermediates" and not natively..

What is the other NLE that you used to capture the clips?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Moving to PremierePro
              glaustin Level 1

Thanks guys.

I'm using the old Ulead MediaStudioPro8 (a nice programme to learn NLE with but discontinued a while ago by the software killing Corel).

G.

• 4. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you know what format and CODEC Ulead Captured to? As Harm mentions (and Craig echoes) digital Capture is a byte-for-byte transfer, but some programs "package" the files differently, and some do processing, that might not be what you need, or want.

Knowing what you get from Ulead will likely answer the question. If needed, the great, free utility, G-SPOT will tell you all about those Captured files. Just install it, and Open one of the Ulead files in it. Post a screen-cap of G-Spot with that file, and someone here can tell you 100%.

Good luck, and you will love PrPro,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                  glaustin Level 1

Hi Bill

Many thanks. One difference will be PC hardware; the existing clips were captured on my old 32bit XP OS, while the outstanding captures would be made via 64bit W7 with a Nvidia FX3800 VGA card. Here's a screencap of an example capture file.

GSpotCodec.jpg

Yes, I'm looking forward to finally working with Pr full time and getting to grips with all its possibilities (and its relationship with AE).

Regards,

Graham

• 6. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The Z1 shoots standard def MPEG?  I would have thought SD would be DV for that cam.

• 7. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                      glaustin Level 1

I've kept the Z1 on its default HD setting and down convert to capture.

• 8. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

That downconvert approach is likely the problem. Either capture HDV and scale down during editing or have AME do it when exporting, or let the camera downrez and capture SD DV AVI.

• 9. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

See, I told you that that G-Spot screen would get you useful responses.

I agree with Harm. If you do down-rez in the camera for Capture, you want DV-AVI Type II, and not the MPEG-2, that Ulead got you. That material is highly-compressed and is GOP, which will both degrade the image n PrPro and will present a few other editing issues. Not sure if Ulead had the ability to Capture as DV-AVI Type II, but it's probably moot now. I would Recapture that footage, and not fight the MPEG-2's. You will benefit from doing so - trust me.

Also, look closely at Harm's suggested workflows. They will benefit you later, if you do wish to go HD for BD output.

Good luck, and thanks for the G-Spot screen-cap,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Moving to PremierePro
                            glaustin Level 1

Yes, Hunt, a very handy tool. Thanks again.

Ulead MSP8 launched at the front end of HDV editing (and didn't support the Z1 in HD). It was never updated, which is why there isn't a DV Type II option. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet next week and re-capture natively the clips originally captured via Ulead.

Working in HD will be new and I'm really looking forward to working with Pr and fully up to date technology for a change.

Regards & thanks again,

Graham