21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2010 7:44 PM by Steve C2

Why am I creating an audible popping sound?

Steve C2 Level 2

Why am I creating an audible popping sound when I trim a video clip?  How do I eliminate the pop?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
          shooternz Level 6

Is the pop visible in the waveform when you expand it up?

• 2. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly where is this pop coming in?

What are the details of your Assets, both Video & Audio?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
              Averdahl Level 3

If you hear the popping at the cut point when you are playing back the Timeline:

Set the Timeline to Show Audio Time Units and place a short audio crossfade at the audio's cut point. Its ok if the crossfade is less than one (1) video frame. A very short one fixes the issue. (DeClicker fixes it sometimes as well, but not as good as a crossfade does.)

This happens because the audio waves dont "meet" each other at 0 dB at the cut point, it happens/is easier to hear when the audio source is loud and one needs good ears to hear it.

/Roger

• 4. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                Steve C2 Level 2

Thank you to all for your help.  I am replying to all in one response in attempt to reduce confusion.  I hope that it's okay.

1) Shooternz: No, the pop is not visible in the waveform.

2) Bill Hunt: The pop typically comes from the beginning of a video clip, where I had used the razor.  However, I have also noticed that it can come from

other places where I have not trimmed.  I think that the pop sound will occur when I hit the play button, though.  As a test, I have also cut a audio clip

in Adobe Audition 3 (which I use as my sound editor).  There are no pops when I play back either in AA or in Itunes.

Asset details: sound recorded with a Sony PCM-D50 at 48khz/24bits and either upsampled to 32 bits in audition for editing and then downsampled to

bits before being imported to PrPro CS5.  Generally, I ensure that the db level does not exceed -3db and it definitely does not exceed -3db at the         places where the pops are ocurring.  Audio is edited within AA, but is not trimmed there.  Video is from a Sony PD-150 using DVCAM tapes and

imported as avi. Audio and video segments are synchronized and then linked within PrPro. 

3) Averdahl: Exponential fade does the best of the three audio crossfade options, but it doesn't come close to eliminating the problem.  The problem that I am experiencing is not related to having good ears.  The pops are so extreme that I am concerned about the possibility of my speakers getting damaged.

Thanks again and I look forward to your suggestions.

Steve

• 5. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                  akribie Level 2

It would be worth checking that your audio doesn't have a DC offset, which is one possible source of pops like you describe.

• 6. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                    Steve C2 Level 2

Here's an update.

I created a new PrPro project and this time, I imported the unedited audio file.  The db level for the audio clip is low (perhaps -12 to -9db), according to the gauge in PrPro.

I get the loud pops regardless of whether I clip the audio or don't clip the audio.  The pops don't occur at the beginning of the audio clip, but occur later in the clip.  I repeated the test in Itunes and do not get pops there.

Any thoughts?  Does it make sense to uninstall and reinstall PrPro?

• 7. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                      Steve C2 Level 2

Another update...The popping sound also takes place in Premiere Elements 8.  So, I

doubt that uninstalling PrPro and reinstalling it will help.  Any suggestions are still appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

• 8. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                        akribie Level 2

It sounds more and more like an issue with your sound file rather than the software.

Have you looked at the audio file at maximum (sample) resolution on the timeline?  Is there any sign of a

glitch?

Does the glitch occur in the same place each time?

How big is a useful sample and can you post it to a downloadable url so we can have a look at it?

• 9. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                          Steve C2 Level 2

Hi Akribie,

The pops occur in the same places.  That is true for where I use the razor.  Whether the exact places for the other occurences, I can't be certain.

A further test produces an interesting result...I exported the video clip with the pops and played the exported clip.  There are no pops in the export.  Apparently, the pops only occur within the playback engine of Premiere Pro and Premiere Elements.  Any explanations for this?

Given the latest results, does it still make sense to post the audio clip to a url?  The audio needs to be played back within Premiere, apparently, for the problem to be reproduced.

• 10. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                            akribie Level 2

It's up to you.  It's always possible that it is a system issue on your computer that causes this.

I doubt it is a software problem with Premiere.

• 11. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                              Steve C2 Level 2

Akribie,

Why should we conclude that the problem is "system"-related?  I mentioned that the problem does not occur outside of Premiere.  Not with iTunes and not with MediaPlayer (for playback of the clips that played with pops within Premiere).

Thanks,

Steve

• 12. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                Steve C2 Level 2

Thank you to all.  I have a solution from Adobe Technical Support that addresses the problem.  I plan to post it, but I will first seek the permission of the support staff that supplied it.

• 13. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Please do post it. I cannot imagine that Adobe T/S would have any issue, but understand asking permission.

We'll all be looking for resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    Please do post it. I cannot imagine that Adobe T/S would have any issue, but understand asking permission.

Why would it be a secret?  (Is the Kremlin involved with the "popov" sound)

• 15. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Good one! Most here will not catch the joke. They are much too young.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                        Phil Griffith Level 2

It's been a while since he posted.

I'm thinking that the Adobe secret service has taken him and put him on a uninhabited island for the remainder of his years so as not to divulge any information! Of course there are plenty of beautiful women. Nothing but the best for a secret agent. 00CS5!

• 17. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm guessing a black Suburban with an "Adobe 3" license plate. Probably the Denali model, or similar.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                            akribie Level 2

I suspect something at your end because when only one person reports a problem, particularly when it relates to a specific source file, it is reasonable to start with the assumption that the cause of the problem relates to something on that particular system rather than exposing a generic problem with all systems.

Without more information, I would start by suspecting a CODEC issue or something subtle with the source file rather than a Premiere problem.

Of course, you may be the first to encounter a generic problem and prove me wrong, but history shows that the odds are in my favour.

• 19. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                              eckelsteve1 Level 1

I get this problem on FCP sometimes,  It would have to do with my preview settings.  So if I played a 32k audio file in a 48k timeline it would sometimes click.  When I rendered the sequence the click would go away.

There are also low frequency hums inherent in the original recording environment.  Air conditioning, fridge hums etc. These can cause click when editing.  I created in FCP a shortkey to add a 2 frame crossfade between audio cuts, frankly would to figure out how to have that in Pr.  I use that a lot, gets rid of pops, clicks & helps smooth out the cut when throwing in a word into a middle of a sentence or cutting out stammers.

• 20. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                                Steve C2 Level 2

Adobe-provided recommendations...

1. Re-create the Premiere Pro CS5 PluginCache.

The PluginCache is  a Windows registry entry that stores information
                                                about the status of  all native Premiere Pro CS5 plug-ins and third-party
                                                plug-ins.  Re-create the PluginCache to eliminate problems that damaged
                                                or  obsolete plug-in data might cause.

To re-create the PluginCache,  hold down the Shift key while you start
                                                Premiere Pro CS5, and then  release the Shift key when the Welcome to
                                                Adobe Premiere Pro window  appears.

2. To re-create the Premiere Pro CS5 preferences  folders:

1. Close Premiere Pro CS5.
                                                2. Rename the 5.0  folder (for example, to Old 5.0) in the
                                                C:\Users\[your user  name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro folder.
                                                3. Rename the  Styles folder (for example, to Old Styles) in the
                                                C:\Users\[your user  name]\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0 folder.
                                                4. Rename the  Layouts folder (for example, to Old Layouts) in the
                                                C:\Users\[your  user name]\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0 folder.
                                                5. Open  Premiere Pro CS5. The application will create new preferences
                                                files.

3. Update or reinstall QuickTime.

An outdated version of Apple  QuickTime or a damaged QuickTime file may
                                                prevent Premiere Pro CS5  from operating correctly. To update QuickTime,
                                                install the current  version available from the Apple website at
                                                www.apple.com/quicktime/download.

4. Please uninstall Audio Driver and install the latest version of
                                                Audio  Driver.
                                                5. Update Graphic Card Driver with the latest version.

My notes: I did not need to go as far as steps 3-5 and although my problem does not sound like it would be addressed by rebuilding the plugin cache or preferences folder, the loud popping sounds were eliminated or seriously reduced.

• 21. Re: Why am I creating an audible popping sound?
                                                  Steve C2 Level 2

Regarding Russians, etc., All that I will say is that

Adobe's recommendations are now "Putin".