7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 12:08 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Help on help

GilesS Level 1

I've recently upgraded to CS5. When I first opened the help files the interface had, as I recall, options for selecting just help or for including forums and also for specifying, in a dropdown menu, whether I was interested in all products or any particular one from the suite. I liked this.

Unfortunately I saw an option somewhere which, I think (this was more than a week ago), said something about internal or external browser, or it could have been online or offline. Anyway, I clicked it and the whole help interface changed, not just for Illustrator but for the rest of the suite too. Now help opens in a browser that's working from my hard drive. It's specific to the product I'm using and has two columns: Adobe reference; and Popular resources.

I can't find anywhere to change the interface back to how it was originally - does anyone know how to do this?

Giles.

• 1. Re: Help on help
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It should be as you describe it the first time you opened it.

Like this

Screen shot 2010-06-30 at 6.53.56 AM.png

Can you show us what you are seeing there are two options one for help above and one for support center which looks like this

Screen shot 2010-06-30 at 7.02.17 AM.png

Oh, I think I know what happened

if you notice in my screen shots at the bottom left side it says feedback.

I think you may have hit that and that hides the help search on the left side if you now go back and click on the word searchat the top it will reveal the help section again with the drop down for the various applications.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help on help
            GilesS Level 1

Wade,

Thanks - your diagnosis is exectly right. Now that I see the screenshots you've provided it's clear that it's the left-hand panel that I'm missing.

However, I can't see where to click "Search" to get it back - my screen looks like this:

Illustrator-help-screenshot.gif

The only "Search" I can see is the deafult text within the search box itself (and that does nothing); was it the bar at the top of the left-hand panel that you meant? Because if it was, it vanished along with the rest!

I've tried clicking everything in sight and so far have nothing to show for it except a sore finger; any ideas if there's anywhere else where I can achieve the same effect?

• 3. Re: Help on help
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

There was an option to go on line there seems to be no way to get that back to off line once you check online.

But everything you want is actually there except for the interface.

• 4. Re: Help on help
                GilesS Level 1

Thanks - I appreciate your time and advice.

Weird state for Adobe to get into with there being no way back - I guess I'll just have to put up with my less-than-perfect interface.

• 5. Re: Help on help
                  Scott Falkner Level 5

GilesS wrote:

I guess I'll just have to put up with my less-than-perfect interface.

That’s a very flattering description of most of Adobe’s software.

• 6. Re: Help on help
                    Kirsti-CA Adobe Employee

First, thanks to Zeno Bokor for identifying the problem.

The left navigation pane wasn't visible because Help was being displayed in a browser instead of the new Community Help AIR app.

Giles had inadverntly changed his preferences from within the Community Help AIR app, so that it launched the browser version of Help.

If you're seeing Help in a browser instead of the AIR app and want to change it back:

(1) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Help (on a Mac go to Applications>Adobe>Adobe Help) and launch the Adobe Help. .

(2) Once the AIR app is launched, select Preferences in the Edit menu (Windows) orthe Adobe Help menu (Mac)

(3) In the General Settings pane, select "Open Community Help application" in the Accessibility mode. 

Giles noted in a separate post "I must have tried the "Open help in browser" option without taking in the adjacent advice: 'NOTE: If you open Help in the browser, you can switch to Community Help later. To do so, return to this Preference page by reopening the Community Help application from your hard disk.' Having missed that I guess I had no way of finding my way back from within any of the CS5 applications."

I'll take this back to the Community Help design team to see about getting a message about this to users.

Kirsti Aho

Adobe Learning Resources team

• 7. Re: Help on help
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Thank you Kirsti that we were definitely looking for this reset feature.

I think it would be nice if there were a way back without going this route.

Also I would like to note that most apps allow you to find the welcome screen once you dismiss it Photoshop does not offer a way back.