3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 11:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Weird 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz audio sampling

Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Can anyone please advise...

After many years of editing with Premiere, I have not noticed until today a problem dropping a 44.1kHz mp3 track into a 48kHz timeline.

The music track plays correctly when previewed in the source monitor, but lowers in pitch when played from the timeline.

I resampled the file in Soundbooth by saving as a WAV at 48kHz, but, once back in the PP timeline, the pitch appears to be even lower than when played at a 44.1kHz file.  Naturally, the piece plays correctly when dropped into a 44.1 sequence but I can't edit at 44.1 becase of all my other material is recorded at 48.

In all these years, I have never had to resample music to play in Premeire.  All that's changed is that I have installed CS5 and (but removed) the K-Lite codec pack.

Can anyone help please.  Is it something that has always been there, and I've never noticed.  I really can't believe that to be the case!

• 1. Re: Weird 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz audio sampling
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not heard of similar. Personally, I never use MP3 (except for tiny SFX files), and always convert to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit in Audition. That WAV is what I Import and have never had an issue. MP3's (and AIFF's) are notorious for causing issues. That is why they never get Imported.

Now, with your conversion, did you do the Save_As PCM/WAV, or back to MP3?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Weird 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz audio sampling
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Hi Bill

I saved them back both as 16 and 24 bit PCM/WAVs.  I finally had to ask the client to resubmit them as 48kHz WAV files which, naturally, solved the issue.

I thought that Premiere made an attempt to resample audio files which differ from the targeted frequency of the project.

As I said in my original post, in my 12 or so years editing with Premiere, I have not been aware of encountering this before!

All very strange.

• 3. Re: Weird 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz audio sampling
              the_wine_snob Level 9

J-MS,

Normally, PrPro does do a good job or resampling to 48KHz 16-bt, and then conforming to 32-bit, floating point for editing. Sometimes, however, the "magic doesn't work." It is often something about the particular files, that seem to be at fault.

Glad that you got it sorted to complete the job, but sorry that I cannot pin-point why it did not function, per usual.

Good luck,

Hunt