15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 5:43 PM by Michael J Ward RSS

Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

MaryFlower81 Community Member

Hi,

I recently shot a video, uploaded to my PC and it shakes alot and its not stabalized at all. Can I quickly stabalize the video in Premiere Pro CS4, if so how?

I was told you can do it by with Photoshop and then importing into Premiere Pro which sounds like a lot of work. I currently have Premiere Pro CS4.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

I would look into a 3rd party stabilizer, like ProDAD's Mercalli. It seems to do a great job for many users.

Doing this in PS with Rotoscoping will prove to be horribly labor intensive and exacting work.

Do you already have AfterEffects? AE has stabilization available, and that would save having to buy a program, like Mercalli.

Good luck,

hunt

• 2. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
            MaryFlower81 Community Member

Bill,

I just checked and I do have after effects. How can I use AE to stabalize my video?

• 3. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

There is a Stabilization in AE:

Source, Current Track, and Target controls (Pro only)

You use the Tracker Controls panel to control all types of motion tracking and stabilization. In this panel, you specify your motion source layer and motion target layer, choose the type of tracking you want to use, and set special tracking options. Once you have set all your parameters, you initiate tracking with the Analyze buttons and apply the tracking data with the Apply button.

Tracker Controls panel

A. Controls to create a new track, set the motion source and target B. Controls to set the type of tracking C. Controls to initiate, apply, and delete tracks

In the Tracker Controls panel, you control which layer you want to track, which tracking data you want to use, and the layer or effect to which you want to apply tracking.

Motion Source Specifies the layer that contains the motion you want to track. The menu lists all the moving footage layers in the current composition. If you selected a motion source or an effect point control of a layer before you opened the Tracker Controls panel, After Effects displays that layer for Motion Source.

Current Track Displays the track for the source layer that contains the tracking data. Every layer can have multiple tracks associated with it, allowing you to track more than one feature in a layer or to track the same layer using different settings.

Motion Target  Specifies the footage, still image, or effect that you want to animate. When selected, the tracker applies the tracked keyframes to the specified motion target layer to either animate or stabilize it. Change the target by clicking Edit Target and choosing a new target from the Layer pop-up menu in the Motion Target dialog box. The Edit Target button is not available if Raw is selected for Track Type.

Options  Opens the Motion Tracker Options dialog box, through which you can improve the accuracy of tracking and select third-party tracker plug-ins.

I have not used it, so would recommend that you ask for specifics in the AE Forum. Many there can step you through the process. I would just muddy the waters.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
                arneberg1

Hi

I use Premiere Pro CS3 v.3.2.0. Just bought Mercalli Expert hoping to salvage shaky footage - instead i got a headache:

When adding a Mercalli- or VideoShaker effect to a clip in my project, everything appears to work fine. But when exporting the project, the finished movie gets the “The video analysis must be executed again”-overlay.

This overlay does not appear in the Premiere Project monitor, and when exporting clean through the Adobe Media Encoder, it does not appear in any of the preview windows either. However, when I use the “Export to Encore” and choose “Settings”, the overlay appears in both the project view and in the finished view-window of the Media Encoder. However, the Premiere Pro Project monitor still does not show the overlay.

The overlay also appears when I export the movie directly to AVI, using “File > Export > Movie”. I have tried several different settings, both in the Media Encoder and in the direct AVI export, hoping to spot a possibility to get my project exported but to no avail.

I have tried installing the plug-in from a back up CD from proDAD, hoping that the problem might be caused by a faulty download. That wasn’t the case.

I have installed Mercalli SP2. Didn’t help either.

I have tried adding the effects directly to the clip in the time line and I have tried adding through the Effects manager-window. Same s*** (pardon my French :-))

I have tried exporting material that was pre-rendered in Premiere as well as materiel that hasn’t been pre-rendered – no difference.

Any ideas anyone?

• 5. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
                  Alan Craven Community Member

There are a number of service packs for updating Mercalli, available on the ProDad web-site - 19 is the latest.  I am not sure what you mean by SP2?

If you add transitions after applying Mercalli to a clip in your timeline, you will get the repeat video analysis message.  This is because the transition uses frames of video beyond those visible on the timeline to provide the "overlap" necessary for the transition, and these frames have not been included in the analysis carried out by Mercalli.

I assume that you have rendered the material before attempting to export?

When using Mercalli, I always place all of the clip that I want to stabilise on a second "Effects" timeline, then run Mercalli.  I then add any other effects that I want, colour correction etc., and usually a level of sharpening.  I then render and export this new clip.  You must include enough extra on the clip to provide the handles that you will need for any transitions at the ends of the clip.

I then import this new clip to my project and add it to the main timeline.  Doing it this way, I do not encounter any problems.

It could be argued that adding this extra export stage reduces the image quality, but I think that, compared to the inevitable hit generated by the stabilisation process, this is not significant.

• 6. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

To expand on Alan's comments, regarding Transitions, there is a need for Handles. As stated, these are not part of the Clip (until Transitions are added), because the Clip is initially limited to its In & Out Points. The exact same thing happens if one has Rendered the Clips on the Timeline, and then add a Transition - the red line appears above that area, where the Transition has been added. These will explain Handles a bit better:

Handles_01.jpg

Handles_02.jpg

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
                      arneberg1 Community Member

Alan and Bill

Thank you for taking time to helping me out here. Alan, by SP2 I refere to the "Service 1.0.19 [20 Oct 2009]" which is the only one I can find on the proDAD website. However, it seems that the "19" indicates we are talking about the same file.

Now, handles and transitions are not the problem at hand. To be more specific, this is what happens:

I have an .MPG-file, PAL, 25 FPS, 1440 x 1080, progressive. Originally it comes from a Panasonic camera that produces .m2ts-files that Premiere CS3 can't handle. So I have converted it through Nero Vision with the data i mentioned previously.

I create a Premiere project based on the HDV 1080p-profile with the exact same data as the .MPG-file and I import my .MPG-file in this project. I don't trim it, I don't add any transitions, don't tamper with duration, motion, opacity or anything else - I use the raw .MPG-file just as it is.

Then I add a Marcalli effect to the clip, I "Mercalli-render", lets Premiere render too, and finally I export it through Adobe Media Encoder. And alas: Now the "The video analysis must be executed again" overlay appears in the finished movie.

At no point do I see the overlay in the Premiere Project monitor-window, neither does it appear in the Media Encoders "Source" or "Output" windows - unless I choose "File > Export > Export to Encore" and then select "Settings" to open the Media Encoder window. In that case I get the overlay in both the "Source" and "Output"-window. But if I choose "File > Export > Adobe Media Encoder" directly, i don't get the overlay.

So even if I could find the time to carry out the daunting task of adding Mercalli effects individually to all the 226 raw clips my project consists of, it wouldn't help, because I can't seem to get rid of that b***** "The video analysis..." overlay. Grrrr...

Arne Berg

• 8. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

Arne,

Just a thought here. What happens if you Nest your Sequence into a new Sequence, and then apply Mercalli to that entire Sequence?

Sorry that I have not used Mercalli, so really cannot comment directly on its operation. Looks like Alan has, so he'll have much more useful info for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

Arnhe,

Yes Service Pack 19 is the latest - and it will be the last - update for Mercalli 1.  Mercalli 2 is just about to go on sale.  This comes with three versions: 32 bit for Premiere CS2,3,4, and 64 bit for Premiere CS5; also there is an excellent easy to use standalone version.  It is essentially the same as the original version, but is easier to use.

One possible explanation for the behaviour that you describe that I can think of is that you have not got Mercalli properly activated.  I remember that when I first bought it a couple of years ago. I had difficulty getting it activated. Activation is described in detail on pages 11 and 12 of the Mercalli manual.  You send off your personal details to Pro-Dad by email, and they send you an executable file which contains the licence key.  When you run this Mercalli is activated.

Have you tried contacting ProDad directly?  Service@prodad.com   I have always found them to be very helpful, though I have read elsewhere of people who found them to be less than helpful.

I have not used progressive clips, or clips converted in the way you describe, but if the clip is accepted by Premiere, and plays on the timeline, then it should be processed by Mercalli.  I assume that the clip is not red-lined before you apply the Mercalli effect?

When you have applied Mercalli and run the analysis of the clip, does the clip play correctly from the timeline, with the video stabilised, and no error message?  When you render the Premiere timeline, I assume that the red line clears and the clip plays correctly, with the stabilisation active, and no error message?

If so, and the error message only appears after you export the timeline, then Premiere is losing the preview files.  How many hard disks are involved in this process?  I assume that you have programs on C:\, video files on a separate hard disk, and ideally preview files on a third hard drive.  If you have the preview files in My Documents alongside the project file, which is the default location with Premiere I think, then it is possible that they cannot be read rapidly enough.

I have Premiere on drive C, Project file on drive D, Video files on drive E, preview files on drive F, and I generally export to F.  These are all SATA 2 drives, and I am using a 3 GHz quad core processor, 8 GB of RAM, and 64 bit Windows 7.

You will have to apply Mercalli individually to the each clip as it has to analyse each one separately since the unwanted motion will vary from clip to clip.  it is a time consuming process, and you cannot paste attributes from clip to clip -you are not doing this are you?  if so that is the cause of your problem!  Just a thought - I am sure you are not.

Try a new project with just a single clip, set up the preferences as I have described, apply Mercalli, run the analysis, render and export the clip.  That should then be OK.

• 10. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

Temting thought, Bill - but it appears to be just another way to obtain the same result. Still getting the overlay...

• 11. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

Like I said - just a thought.

Looks like Alan has added some particulars. Does anything there help?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

Alan

I filled in the activation form, mailed it to the proDAD-guys and they shipped me an activation file within 12 hours after that. The only problem I had with the activation was that my spam filter caught their mail, and I didn't find it until late last night... At first I thought - just like you - that the problem could be because of non-activation, but my version is fully activated now - and it still behaves as I have described. Just for the record I ought to add that I have also tried installing Mercalli from a back-up CD I ordered - just in case the problems occured because of a faulty download.

Yes, I have been in touch with the proDAD-guys about this, but so far I only got two things out of that:

1.: They pointed me to their FAQ page with an article dealing with the "The video analysis must...". Wasn't much help though, because the article only describes what to do if the overlay appears in the Premiere Project monitor-window. And the solution is to click a button I can't find in my version of Mercalli.

2.: They told me to upgrade to PP 4.2.0, which is only an option if you run CS4 - which I don't... I'm still in contact with them and still hoping for the best.

Yes, the clip is accepted by Premiere. It plays in the time line without dificulty - but it makes no difference wether the line is red or green when I apply the effect. Only difference is that if the line is green, it remains green after adding the Mercalli effect, which seems a little strange. I would have thought it needed to be re-rendered when adding an effect, but it obviously doesn't...

Yes, the clip plays correctly, including the stabilization effect, in the timeline - and no error messages either.

After working with Adobe products for several years I know the problem of working with Adobe products on the same hard disc so upon installation of Premiere some years ago, I divided the "presure" between several hard discs - very similar to your set-up in fact, so no "bottleneck" there either. I also use SATA 2 HD's and my processor is an AMD Athlon 64 dual core +6400 (3.21 GHz). I run Win 7, 64 bit version as well.

As for pasting attributes - I have not even reached that point yet where I would begin to think "Isn't there a smarter way..?" So no, I haven't pasted attributes. Right now it is all about getting something out of Premiere in a decent quality - and without the overlay...

Alan, please don't get me wrong, but i'm not the kind of guy that just rolls over and gives up when things don't go my way. If that happens, I try to "roll back" events to eliminate possible errors. In this case, I have already rolled as far back as to creating a new single clip project. And as you can see above, the problem shouldn't be caused by my HD setup. I've had far too many "heavy" PhotoShop-files craching on me to use the same HD for both programmes and "scratch".

What really confuses me here is that the overlay only appers in the finished file and when trying to export through "File > Export > Export to Encore" Otherwise I don't see it at all...

Oh, and thank you again for taking the time to try to help me out! I want you to know that it's highly appriciated!

Arne

• 13. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro

arneberg1 wrote:

2.: They told me to upgrade to PP 4.2.0, which is only an option if you run CS4 - which I don't... I'm still in contact with them and still hoping for the best.

There could be a possible problem here.  Mercalli would only work with the original CS4 when it was applied to the entire clip.  This was sorted with a service pack for CS4.1 in April or so last year.  I wonder if this made Mercalli unsuitable for earlier versions of Premiere.  A very long shot, but I really have no idea about this and I am clutching at straws.

Yes, the clip is accepted by Premiere. It plays in the time line without dificulty - but it makes no difference wether the line is red or green when I apply the effect. Only difference is that if the line is green, it remains green after adding the Mercalli effect, which seems a little strange. I would have thought it needed to be re-rendered when adding an effect, but it obviously doesn't...

I think this is the key to the problem.  When Mercalli is applied to a clip, there should be a red line, even if the clip was clear before.  When the timeline is rendered, the red line should turn green.  If this does not happen, then there is something wrong here.  You say "if the line is green, it remains green after adding the Mercalli effect".  This suggests that your clips have to be rendered to be accepted by Premiere?  Can you try to apply Mercalli to a clip which has no line over it on the timeline? Or alternativley can you render and export one of your source clips, import it to a new Premiere project and then try apply Mercalli to that.

What really confuses me here is that the overlay only appears in the finished file and when trying to export through "File > Export > Export to Encore" Otherwise I don't see it at all...

This must be happening because the preview files that are created when the clip is rendered are not being read by the export process.

As I say, I am clutching at straws here as I have never experienced any problem of this kind, or indeed any real problem at all with Mercalli.  also I have no knowledge of using CS3 - I migrated from CS2 direct to 4.  I know that 3 has significant differences between it and both adjacent versions.

You have tried a new project, and it could be worth clearing the media cache and preferences, as these often cause odd behaviour with Premiere.

I am sorry that all I am coming up with seem to be things that you have tried already, but the only thing that I can see about this is that the preview files are going missing somewhere along the line.

One final thought - when you export does the work area bar cover the entire clip?

• 14. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
                                    Greuter13 Community Member

When you exporting the timeline in another frame rate, premiere handles this as like a time-wrap. This will break the mercalli analysis.

You should/must export the video in the same resolution/fps as the project is created.

• 15. Re: Stabalize Video in Premiere Pro
                                      Michael J Ward Community Member

Copy the video you want to stablise

onto a new sequence then drag the effect

onto the  clip.  it should now work.