2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 6:13 AM by srd49

Basic Collision - How? :(

littlehappyboy

Hey, I´m new on programming in action-script.

I know another progamming langue.

But, anyway. How do i do this?

if left key is pressed and place is free to the left. THEN do: Move to left

in my old programmin langue it was like this:

if keyboard_check(vk_left) and place_free(x-10,y){

x-=10;

}

But how do i do it in flash? (if left key is pressed and place is free to  the left. THEN do: Move to left)

Help plz

• 1. Re: Basic Collision - How? :(
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there's nothing like a place_free() in actionscript.  you can check if an object is at that x,y but that won't necessarily be what you want.

• 2. Re: Basic Collision - How? :(
            srd49

Hi,

For Flash to know the left key is pressed, you need to create a listener. Check this website http://flash-creations.com/notes/asclass_key.php that is quite useful.

Is it like a puzzle game you are doing?

if your "places" are say a 10x10px square, on a line of 9 squares, i would create an array with 9 values, 0 being free, 1 occupied.

placeArray = new Array(0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1);

which means that the last square is occupied and all the others on the left are free.

The way i'd do would be:

state that your original object position is in square 9 (which is really the index 8 on the array, as the array index starts at 0)

when the keylistener knows that the user presses the left arrow, check the value of placeArray[7], if it is 0, then move object._x -= 10.

I then update the array so that placeArray[8] = 0 and placeArray[7] = 1.

Hope this helps

Sandra