26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2010 2:05 PM by Steve Grisetti

Target device isnt suiable for use!!!

jimris

Hi, help needed before I go mad!

I have an Acer M5640 computer, have 181GB of free space on my C: drive and have an NVIDIA G-Force 8600GS Driver.  I hae just brought Photoshop Elements and Premiere 8 and have created a dvd I am trying to export.  It gets though to 96% complete and then comes up with the message - target device isn't suitable for use. I have tried explring all the help pages and contacted support which was not overly helpful.  My disc drive is atapi and I have so far used TDK and Kodak DVD-R and DVD RW to try

So far I have done the following from vrious bits I have seen on support pages -

1.  Updated all my drivers

2.  Turned threaded optimization off

3.  Turned off GPU playback

4.  Defrragmented my hard drive

5.  Uninstall and reinstall Elements and Premiere.

6.  Tried wth nothing else running

7.  Checked my start up programs don't conflict

8.  Checked device manager for any conflicts - nothing.

9.  Increased my page file size!

10.  Gone through a support page document supplied - CPSID_51553

I have tried downloading to my documents as I have seen that suggested.  It does download but I get no audio - is that right.. I just get the slideshow?

I have eventually using anoher program been able to burn a dvd of my slideshow but obviously with no menus etc which ruins it really especially having paid good money for the product!

Please help a desperate man....

• 1. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest workaround is to burn your DVD files to your hard drive and then use the DVD burner software on your computer to move it to a disc, as described in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

If you'd like to figure out what's going on and how to fix it, just work through the troubleshooting steps on that FAQ and post your results for each step in as much detail as possible. We'll likely be able to figure out what's up and offer solutions.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
            jimris Level 1

Thank you, I have actually looked at your page that you have linked in your reply.  I was going to try and follow the steps but got stuck at the first hurdle, creating a pure avi project.  I opened my project in Premiere and clicked on the timeline panel but then when I go to file the export area is dark gray and so it won't let me export??

• 3. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE 8, nearly all of the older Export options have been moved to the Share Tab. That is where you will find what you are looking for. Export is now just still frames and Titles.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                jimris Level 1

Thanks for that, have got that and am giving it a go now... have done the following which I presume is ok - have shared as AVI for editing in premiere elements and gone for the PAL widescreen option.

• 5. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading and things to consider...

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
                  Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
                  Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0
                  #2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus a Microsoft note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

And another note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

• 6. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                    jimris Level 1

Hi

I have created an 'avi' project now following the steps you provided.  I did then have a go at burning to disk and have ahd some progress I guess.  I still got to the 96% and it then came up with the same "target device is not suitable for use" however it then auto launched Windows Media player and started playing the contents.  It should be noted though that it did not go to the menu it just played the images and audio???

I have since burned the project to a folder on my computer from the share option, doing it via m-peg  using the PAL widescreen settings.  It completes this successfully but when I go to open the file it opens with windows media player but just plays the slideshow of images... no audio and no menu??

Oh and just as another add on in case it makes a difference... even when using a brand new DVD-RW disk, having compiled the media and then beginning the burning disk 1 of 1 process, after 5% it comes up with the message "cannot erase disk".  When I click ok it does though carry on burning... until it reaches the dreaded 96% and the target device message comes up!

Any more help would be welcome

• 7. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you updated the firmware of your burner?

Is this an internal, or external burner?

If external, what is the connection type?

What brand of blank media are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!

Glad to hear you can successfully burn to a folder on your hard drive.

Try opening the files with your computer's DVD player software rather than Windows Media Player. This is the software that launches when you put a commercial DVD in your drive.

Use the Open Folder option on this software and select the VIDEO_TS folder you created when you burned to a folder. This should launch the DVD menu and play your files as if they were a DVD.

• 9. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                          jimris Level 1

Hi, my burner is internal and its a ATAPI DH16A3S cd/dvd rom drive if that helps.

I have used a mixture of TDK and Kodak DVD disks which is all I have at the moment.  I have noted from comments in the forums that there are better ones and so will be getting some new ones at some point soon.

Regards

• 10. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                            jimris Level 1

Hi, I think I need to run you through what I have done as I am a little confused now, sorry.

I saved my original project as an avi file which on its own is 3.33GB and plays ok but without any menu?

I then in my original project, deleted the video section and inserted the avi file which I think was what I needed to do and then re-saved the whole project giving a new Premiere Elements Project which is 5.68MB in size.

This slideshow plays with menu in the preview and all works well.  I then 'shared' it to my Pc as an m-peg file and it creates a 706MB m-peg video clip.  When I go to play that it plays the slideshow but with no audio and no menu?  So I am struggling and don't undersstand when you say burn the video-TS folder im afraid?

When I burn this slideshow to a dvd thats when it does the go to 96% and then hit the 'target device is not suitable'

My default dvd player is windows media player which I have checked for updates and is up to date.  It is that which launches when I put in a dvd?

Sorry to be a pain.

• 11. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's go over a few of the basics first.

PrE is part NLE (Non Linear Editor) and part DVD/BD authoring program. The first part, the NLE part, is about editing Video files. The second part, the authoring, is for creating the structure for a DVD-Video, or BD.

In the NLE part, regardless of what you might have done towards the authoring part, like Chapter/Menu Markers, or Menus, when you Share/Export, you are ONLY dealing with AV part of the Timeline, and will end up with only an AV file. In your case, this the DV-AVI file. It will NOT have any of the navigation, or the Menus, and will ONLY be the AVI file alone. This is the same if you choose MPEG, or WMV, or MOV. It will ONLY be the AV file without Menus or navigation.

Now, when you are done editing the Timeline, all you have to do is establish the navigation (the Chapter/Menu Markers) and then add the Menu Set, where PrE will create the necessary Menus and then link their Buttons appropriately for navigation. This is what you Preview. From this point, you have two choices to Burn to DVD: you can Burn to Folder, which will create a VIDEO_TS folder with the necessary DVD-Video files, including the Menus and navigation, in a series of IFO, BUP and VOB files, or you can Burn to Disc, which will write that same VIDEO_TS folder, plus those files, to a blank DVD disc. With BD (Blu-ray Disc), you only have the ability to Burn to a blank BD, and not to Burn to Folder.

In your stated workflow, if I understood it properly, you went through an extra step - Sharing/Exporting to the MPEG-2. That process comes in automatically, when on chooses Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder. That MPEG-2 file, which is automatically created in the Transcode phase of authoring, will then be wrapped into the VOB containers, and will likely span multiple VOB's, depending on Duration. In authoring, the Menus and navigational instructions will also be wrapped into the first VOB. [That is why one can ONLY have up to 1GB of Menus on a DVD - that is the max size of a VOB, and these parts of the structure cannot span VOB's, like the MPEG-2 can.]

Now, if one has chosen the Burn to Folder option, and has the resultant VIDEO_TS folder and files, they can do two things: that folder can be played in a DVD software player, like CyberLink PowerDVD, or one can then use a burning utility, like the great, free ImgBurn, to do a physical Burn to Disc for playback on a computer, or on a set-top player, hooked to a TV.

Hope that is helpful, and good luck.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!

First, I assume when you say you're exporting and MPEG that you mean you've created DVD files using Share/Disc/DVD with the Burn to Folder option. This is the only way to make DVD files. Otherwise you're just producing a single MPEG file.

Then, when you use your Windows Media Player to play your DVD, make sure you're the VIDEO_TS folder -- not selecting an individual file.

You need to be able to choose the option to play a folder rather than a file.

It could be that Windows Media Player does this. It's never been my experience.

But if you can't get it working, here's a free DVD player app you can load on your computer and it will work. Just remember that you need to play the FOLDER, not the individual files.

• 13. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

At one time, WMP could play a DVD VIDEO_TS folder. At a point, MS decided that any burned DVD was pirated, and decided that ONLY commercially produced DVD-Videos should be allowed to be played. Note: though they look alike, a real DVD-Video (pressed, replicated from a glass master) is different from what we burn, which is actually a DVD-ROM. Now, I use the term DVD-Video to refer to either a replicated disc, or a burned disc, but they are structurally different.

There was a cottage industry in plug-ins for WMP, to allow one to play burned DVD's. I do not know what MS's position is now, or what WMP can/cannot do. I do not bother trying to use it to play anything, but straight AV files, and then will usually choose VLC Player or MediaPlayer Classic HC, as I find either to be better.

I use CyberLink's PowerDVD (I have the free version that comes with many multi-drives, and also the full, commercial version), but also recommend the freeware, MediaPlayer Classic HC. Either will play the VIDEO_TS from a disc, or from a folder on the HDD.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                    jimris Level 1

Gents

Thank you for the continued support.

I have now realised I have not actually been 'burning to folder', merely making an m-peg file.  When it gives the option of burning to dis I was not using the drop down menu that then shows the folder option.  Am having a go now, will let you know

Ta

• 15. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you are on track now. Please report your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                        jimris Level 1

Bill

I have successfully now properly burnt to a folder which now has within it a openDVD folder and a video_TS folder which I presume is correct??

I have dowloaded the imageburn software and so when I open that I click on the video DVD button which I presume is correct?

However, when I go to add the folder "video_TS" I get a message that says - "This file appears to be pre-authored video DVD.  Adding to a video DVD will re-author and lose all menus and possibly re-encode the movie.  You can burn as authored using a data dvd or you can burn as authored to a data dvd using the ISO/joliet filesystem ".  It gives me two options, burn as authored or re-author?

I am lost and confused again now im afraid.

• 17. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This FAQ Entry from ImgBurn will be very useful for your purpose.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                            jimris Level 1

Have I downloaded the wrong software... when I go to the imgburn site it offers ISO Burnere software which is express burn... when I open that there is no build option which it seems to require in the link you provided??

• 19. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                              jimris Level 1

Bill

Sorry, had got the wrong software... now downloaded the proper imgburn and am working through the link you sent.

Thanks

• 20. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the ImgBurn site starts with ImgBurn, and then has a mile of ads for other software, only to get back to ImgBurn about 2.3 of the way down the page. That is the price of "free" software. Scroll way down until you get the Download button for ImgBurn.

Not sure what all the other software is, and it probably changes fairly frequently, as different companies buy the ad space.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck!

Also, be aware that the "error messages" in ImgBurn (the REAL one... ) have an interesting sense of humor. Do not pass over any error message, without reading it fully. I think that you will get a laugh out of most of them. They do tell you what you've done wrong, but in a, well less "dry" way, than say MS, or Adobe. I get a real kick out of them. Also, the program will try to help you out, and does a good job of that. Along the way, you might get something like, "I see that you do not know what you are doing. Move over, and let me do this for you. Just step back from the keyboard, and I'll tell you when to press something... "

Enjoy,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Until he makes a change to his web site, here is the direct link

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

• 23. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                                      jimris Level 1

Bill

What can I say... my hero.... I am now the proud owner of a dvd that actually plays and works properly with menus etc

Many many many thanks for your time and support

Have a great weekend!!

• 24. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                                        jimris Level 1

Steve

My problem is now sorted thanks to the help Bill and you have supplied me so a massive thanks

Have a great weekend

• 25. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, but I think that the kudos go to the others, who addressed most issues much earlier, than did I.

The good news is that you have that DVD!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Target device isnt suiable for use!!!

Glad we could help, Jim!