14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2010 12:35 PM by the_wine_snob

One giant clip to be edited down

filmschooljefe08

I have a HUGE raw footage clip that has over 100 scenes in it and over 45 minutes long.  I want to be able to create individual clips for each scene.  Right now I am editing it in the source window and making in and out points for each clip.  I have only done 10 clips and I am already about to go crazy.  Is there an easier way to cut my large movie into smaller clips? 

Thanks

• 1. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Some easier workflows would be to Capture with Scene Detect on, resulting in many Clips from that tape.

Many users prefer either ScenAlyzer for SD Capture, or HDVSplit for HD Capture, over the Capture module in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If its DV use Scenalyzer to cut into clips if its HDV use HDVSplit.

• 3. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
              filmschooljefe08 Level 1

The footage was from a friend who sent it to me as the large file.  I basically recived it as a 45 minute long movie.  Is there any way to get seperate scenes from a file like that without having to manually do it?  Or at least a faster way then in and out points in the source window? 

• 4. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Is this material SD, or HD. I believe that ScenAlyzer can also do the Scene Detect after the material has been Captured. Not sure of HDVSplit, but I'll bet that Ann can tell us both.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Get the original tape from your friend and recapture using Scene Detect.

• 6. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                    filmschooljefe08 Level 1

I am on a Mac and it appears that scenalyzer is windows only, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

And my friend lives 1,000 miles away currently so it may be hard to get the tape.

So from what it sounds like I wont be able to get individual scenes from the footage I have.  If this is the case then am I creating the individual scenes the most efficient way?  I have a master in the project window that I then open up in the source window and from my master I create in and out points for the scenes I want, then click and drag the scene over into the project window and rename it.  If there is another way that may be easier I would be grateful. 

• 7. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I am on a Mac and it appears that scenalyzer is windows only, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry. I had not seen that. On the Mac, I would only guess that something similar might be available, but I know so little about what is available for the Mac, that I cannot help. Might take some Googling, or maybe a Mac-user will drop by with a rec.

If there is not similar for the Mac, then it might just be your existing workflow. Warning: make sure to ONLY drink decaf.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                        Level 4

Hi,

Hmmm...so you are basically going from source monitor in out points to project panel and making subclips , renaming and dragging them down to timeline ?

What you're doing in essence is making what used to be called a " print " in film...getting the good stuff out of the whole thing...

Then you'll use THAT stuff to make a rough or final cut...

Maybe do this instead....make several sequences called " print1-1st-10minutes", "print2-2nd-10minutes", print3-3rd-10minutes, etc ....

Then you'll also have a sequence called "roughcut"....( eventually you will take the best parts of the prints and put into roughcut sequence...)

Instead of making subclips ( where you have no handles to expand the video toward head or tail....for minor adjustments later )...just drag the in out points to your "PRINT" sequences, without renaming....

Since it's in 10 min sections it won't seem quite so retarded....tedious...etc...the timecodes can be your " filenames" in essence...no need for subclips.

As you take the "PRINT" sequence stuff into your "roughcut" sequence raise that video clip up one level of video on the timeline of the "PRINT" timeline..so you know visually what you've USED ....dont have to scrub through the whole thing to find new stuff...easy to see what you moved into "roughcut" just by looking at the video tracks...  video 2 is used already, video 1 is not used yet...

Rod

• 9. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                          Level 4

ps

when you say GIANT...do you mean something like THIS ? !

rodan6.jpg

Rod

• 10. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I wondered how long it would take for Rodan to make his appearance...

Hunt

PS - to the OP, I have searched for some Mac utilities that will allow one to process longer AV files, and either with some form of Scene Selection, or maybe just a timing thing, say cut at every 10 mins. runtime, but have not come up with anything yet. Good luck.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                              filmschooljefe08 Level 1

Well thank you for all your help.  I will try to just make 10 minute cuts as Rod had suggested.  Hopefully that will make it a little easier!

Thanks again

Jeff

and ps

I mean Giant like this

stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpeg

• 12. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                                Level 4

LOL....not only GIANT , but good eatin at the campfire !

• 13. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. Considering the various things that "monsters" fell to, I could see a gang of Girl Scouts with sharp sticks and Graham Crackers, doing this fellow in. Kind of like the common cold with War of the Worlds. A campfire would be like kryptonite to that guy.

Hunt

• 14. Re: One giant clip to be edited down
                                    Level 4

--------------

Girl Scouts with sharp sticks and Graham Crackers, doing this fellow in

------------

and Chocolate !!!    mmmmm