3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2010 7:25 AM by Huntrex

What kind of de-interlacing does Premiere do?

Karel Bata Level 1

I was told some years ago that de-interlacing was meant to get rid of jaggies when displaying on progressive scan monitors and involved throwing away a whole field (half the lines!) and replacing the gaps with a copy of the other field. So a repeated Field 1 (or 2) would be all you saw. I always thought this method of junking half the image was incredibly wasteful (or maybe it was just explained badly to me!) and when the issue cropped up today I wondered if matters have improved since, so I did a bit of Googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing#Deinterlacing_methods describes several types of de-interlacing

So which does Premiere apply?

Is it possible to change it?

Is this the same with AE?

Are there plug-ins that do a better job?

Cheers!

• 1. Re: What kind of de-interlacing does Premiere do?
          dradeke Adobe Employee

So which does Premiere apply?

Is it possible to change it?

Is this the same with AE?

Are there plug-ins that do a better job?

Cheers!

Premiere Pro will provide de-interlacing when you're encoding a final output file where you've got this choice in your output codec.  It does not have any de-interlacing options (to my knowledge) during playback and editing.  IOW - the codec is the codec...

• I don't which version applies here, but I would guess either selective blending or motion detection
          • not to my knowledge
          • I don't know but would guess yes
          • almost certainly yes, depending on what you are looking for.  I'd probably look at RedGiant's InstantHD to start.

Sorry this answer isn't particularly helpful.

Dennis

• 3. Re: What kind of de-interlacing does Premiere do?
            Huntrex Level 2

Premiere uses better quality deinterlacing algorithms when "Use Maximum Render Quality" is checked in the export settings dialogue box, but it does take longer to render.

Clips can also be deinterlaced in the timeline by:

1. Right clicking a clip

2. Go to "Field Options"

3. Select "Always Deinterlace"

Update: You can also chose which fields to use when previewing in Premiere (does not affect output). Right click the program monitor, go to "Fields" and select the desired option.