5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 1:43 AM by RoboAsh

How can we change Topic Names Generated after linking a document

SanduSangee

Hi:

I linked a document and generated a topic in RoboHelp for HTML. The topics are generated with some names and i am not able to rename them after they are generated.

I tried doing this as per help

Define the topic name pattern for generated topics

When you set heading styles for pagination, the heading text is included by default in the filename of the topic file created in RoboHelp. For example, suppose you define Heading 2 for pagination. If the Word document has two Heading 2 topics, “Introduction” and “Beyond basics,” the topics are created as files named introduction.htm and beyond_basics.htm. The result is intuitively named HTML files that indicate the topic title. In addition to this default scheme, you can define more naming conventions. If, however, the Help system uses sequentially numbered files, such as helptopic001.html, helptopic002.html, and so on, you can define the pattern to support that convention.
      1. Do one of the following:
        • Select File > Import > Word Document.

• Select File > Link > Word Document.

• Select File > Project Settings.

2. In the Conversion Settings dialog box, select Other Settings.

3. In the Other Settings tab, set the topic name pattern.

Topics are named according to the selected pattern. You can select one of the following or create a topic name pattern.

Uses the topic title text as the topic filename.

<$filename_no_ext>-<$paratext>

The name of the converted HTML topic contains the following:
      • The name of the Word source file without its extension

• Hyphen as the separator

• Paragraph text used to demarcate HTML topics

For example, a Word file named “Chapter.doc” with “1-Introduction” as paragraph text is converted to an HTML topic named “Chapter-1-Introduction.”

<$filename_no_ext>-<n>

The name of the converted HTML topic contains the following:
      • The name of the Word source file without its extension

• Hyphen as the separator

• A sequential number

For example, “Chapter.doc” is converted to an HTML topic named “Chapter-1.”

<$paratext_no_num>

The name of the converted HTML topic contains the paragraph text used to demarcate the HTML topic, without numbering. For example, paragraph text “1.Introduction” is converted to an HTML topic named “Introduction.”.

<$paratext>

The name of the converted HTML topic contains the paragraph text used to demarcate the HTML topic. For example, paragraph text “Introduction” is converted into an HTML topic named “Introduction.”

But, still its doing the same. Can anybody help me .

1. How can i generate what i need .

2. or How can i rename the topics which are genrated.

When i import word document, i can rename the topics. But, when i link them. They are readonly.

Thanks

Santhosh

• 1. Re: How can we change Topic Names Generated after linking a document
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

You haven't said which of the options you were trying to use and what filenaming you were trying to achieve.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: How can we change Topic Names Generated after linking a document
            ckf619

Peter,

I am having the same problem as the person in the original post.  I would like the topic name to be <$filename_no_ext>-<n>.  But RH8 continues to name the topic with the paragraph text.  There must be a way to change the topic title.  I just cannot figure it out.  Please help!

Cindy

• 3. Re: How can we change Topic Names Generated after linking a document
              RoboAsh Level 2

I verified it at my end and found that at times the "other settings" are lost if only other setting are updated but this behavior is a bit random.

I have a workaround for this issue :-

1. please link the document first

2. Open the File->project setting dialog and click Edit button for Framaker setting (this wont cause any issue as you wont be using these settings)

3. In "conversion setting" please update any "other settings" and then click OK

4. Now on the other setting for word documents will get retained and after this it will always be retained for even the new projects.

5. then OK on project setting dialog and can verify it by reoprning these settings

Hope this helps

Ashish

• 4. Re: How can we change Topic Names Generated after linking a document
                gerardlynch

Hi Ashish,

I was pointed to this thread by Peter from my posting here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/853538?tstart=0 

Thanks for your workaround - this does seem to keep the settings retained.  Can this be reported to Adobe as a bug?

However - my problem is still not resolved, as the section number from the Word document is still retained in the topic name even when <$paratext_no_num> is selected.    The other options such as <$filename_no_ext>-<$paratext> do seem to work so I think the option is being selected correctly with the workaround of also changing the Framemaker conversion settings at the same time, but it does not remove the section number.   As I indicated in the above post, it does not seem to work in the Import case either.

So, even though it is now retained, the <$paratext_no_num> option does not seem to work correctly?  Or perhaps I do not understand what it should be doing?

I would like to not have these section numbers in the document so that if new sections are added all of my map ids mappings will not be removed due to the topic names changing.    I can work around this by temporarily changing the Word document heading styles to not show section numbers in the source document, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do this (and I would like to not have to change the source document at all, as this seems the purpose of the Link function).

Thanks,

Gerard

• 5. Re: How can we change Topic Names Generated after linking a document
                  RoboAsh Level 2

Hi Gerard,

I have reported the word mapping issue to Adobe myself.

For the topic name pattern "<$paratext_no_num>" it works for FrameMaker documents because autonumbering (no_num stands to remove this) is a separate part in style in FrameMaker, It is not designed to work for Word document - the dialog being the same for Conversion setting for word and FrameMaker so it is shown in both, but all the other options stand relevant for word and works properly.

But I would suggest you to log a feature request to Adobe for this feature.

Hope this help