Thanks for reporting this. I've notified the Engineering team, to see if they understand what's happening here, and will let you know.
I have the same issue. The log files contains the following exception (maybe it helps):
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designview.DesignViewPart.createPlayerCanvas(DesignViewPart.java:15 8)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.designview.DesignViewPart.loadDesignViewSwf(DesignViewPart.java:195 )
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignPart.startDesignView(MXMLDesignPart.ja va:203)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor.initializePlayer(MXMLDesignEdit or.java:1411)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor.initializeDesignView(MXMLDesign Editor.java:1576)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.mxml.editor.design.MXMLDesignEditor.setFocus(MXMLDesignEditor.java: 1736)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.editorcore.editor.CodeAndDesignEditor.pageChange(CodeAndDesignEdito r.java:546)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.editorcore.editor.CodeAndDesignEditor.setActivePage(CodeAndDesignEd itor.java:683)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.editorcore.editor.CodeAndDesignEditor$1.clicked(CodeAndDesignEditor .java:454)
at com.adobe.flexide.editorcore.ui.controls.AbstractButton.sendClickEvent(AbstractButton.jav a:41)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.OS.CallNextEventHandler(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.OS.SendEventToEventTarget(Native Method)
at com.adobe.flexbuilder.standalone.FlexBuilderApplication.start(FlexBuilderApplication.java :109)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLau ncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.jav a:79)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
I was having the same problem but seem to have found a workaround for it.
When I discovered the problem I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Builder 4 and then re-applying the 4.0.1 update, only for the problem to
When I tried again I noticed that the uninstall left some material in the Flash Builder 4 folder, namely the SDK folder containing the Flex 3.3.0 SDK I had added to my Flash Builder. This 2nd time I removed this folder and the outer Flash Builder 4 folder that had been left by the uninstaller. I again reinstalled Flash Builder 4 and the 4.0.1 update and this time the problem did NOT recur! I then reimported the Flex 3.3.0 SDK and Flash Builder 4 continues to work OK with no sign of this previous problem.
So the workaround is:
1) Run the Flash Builder 4 uninstaller
2) Remove anything left by the uninstaller
3) Reinstall Flash Builder 4
4) Reapply the 4.0.1 update
5) Import any additional SDKs etc. as needed
The above has worked for me on 2 different Macs, hopefully, it'll help some others!
that worked for me. Thanks a lot. It's just sad, that you have to complete deinstall it ...
I'm glad it worked for you. Hopefully Adobe will produce a proper fix sometime soon!
The Engineers looking into this determined that the problem was with some of the VC9 runtimes not always getting installed reliably via the Microsoft merge modules we're using to deliver them. They're of the opinion that these are bugs with the merge modules themselves, that can only be fixed by Microsoft.
Assuming they are correct about the root cause, then a faster workaround (without requiring uninstall/reinstall of FB) would be to download the VC9 redist package from here and install it:
Thanks for the update but my problem was on a Mac not a PC and so the Microsoft solution won't work and is almost certainly not relevant!
71 Leconfield Road, Loughborough, Leics. LE11 3SP, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1509 268843
Thanks for the info about Mac versus Win here - you're correct of course that the microsoft merge modules can't really be the problem on OS X. It's uncertain whether this is part of the problem on Win, or if it's something else entirely.
Re-reading the diagnosis from the Engineers, they provided more info than I had assimilated: they believe that another source of this problem is with trying to update the Player and Adobe Player for Embedding (APE) while it's in use. This would explain why it might have failed during the initial installation, but would succeed on subsequent installations.
Hi, just to be complete: I also use a Mac. Maybe Windows is innocent - this time (^_^) The OS version is 10.6.4 at the current patch level and fixes. So long, Gregor Féng
For tracking this down, it would help to know if everyone encountering this had run the Updater to patch FB 4.0 to FB 4.0.1, or if you had downloaded the full installer for FB 4.0.1?
Hi, I didn't find a full installer for 4.0.1, so I installed the version I got with the Order and applied the same patch installer. The only difference is, that between installation and patching, FlashBuilder was this time not started. Greetings, Gregor
I used the updater, not a full 4.0.1 installer
Thanks to both of you for this info about having patched. This will help us narrow down what's holding these libaries open.
I encounter the exact same problem.
I am on Mac, 10.6.4 used the updater for 4.0.1 and can't use Design-mode anymore ...
An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
We have yet to reproduce this error internally, but according to Gregor's note earlier, he was able to avoid the problem by making sure Fb wasn't running when the Patch was applied. The patch should automatically ask you to quit Fb before it proceeds, but if it doesn't, please try quitting Fb, and perhaps count to twenty before allowing the Updater to continue, as extra insurance that any libraries in need of replacing have time to unload fully.