10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 11:13 PM by pwillener

Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update

InspectorJon

The latest update will not install.  When I try to uninstall Acrobat Reader I get this message:  The installation source for this product is not available...  Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is no longer available.  How do I uninstall Reader?  I an running Windows XP SP3

• 1. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
          pwillener Level 8

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is no longer available from Microsoft, but there are countless downloads from 3rd-party download sites.

• 2. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
            InspectorJon Level 1

That worked, thank you.  I found it at www.softpedia.com › WindowsSecuritySecure  cleaning

• 3. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
              welersch

I am experiencing the same problem.

What program was used to uninstall Adobe Reader?  I tried Remove 4.1 but it didn't work.

• 4. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                pwillener Level 8

welersch wrote:

What program was used to uninstall Adobe Reader?

Please read the earlier posts; it's all there.

• 5. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                  mb300e4m

It is there? I cannot see an app name anywhere in the messages, only a web address which when opened lists hundreds of apps.

• 6. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                    welersch Level 1

Yes, ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ's reply to my query was not in the least bit helpful and I rersonally felt it was rude.  The name of the software that was successfully used was NOT there.

I was finally able to uninstall with a great deal of difficulty.  Thanks to some of Windows "features" it appears part of the uninstall difficulties are permissions issues.  Even though I am an administrator, I couldn't delete the Adobe files.  I had to take ownership of the files and even then I couldn't delete many of them.  It appears I was finally able to delete/corrupt enough that uninstall finally worked.

I don't know who's software is responsible for the uninstall difficulties.  It seems to me that it would be in Adobe's best interest to have software that properly uninstalls itself when the user wants to uninstall, regardless of corruption in the registry or distribution software.

Walt Lersch

• 7. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                      InspectorJon Level 1

I am the original poster the name of the software was in my original post.

OP: "The latest update will not install.  When I try to uninstall Acrobat  Reader I get this message:  The installation source for this product is  not available...  Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is no longer  available.  How do I uninstall Reader?  I an running Windows XP SP3"

The name of the software was also in ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ's reply.  If you do a web search for Windows Installer CleanUp Utility you will find lots of places to download it for free.

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ's reply was short and to the point.  I did not think it rude.

• 8. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                        mb300e4m Level 1

Thanks Walt, I agree with you, the answer from the upside down person

standing on his head was really stupid as well as rude.

I had a similar issue when I wanted to uninstall Microsoft Office 2010,

another Bill Gate's abortion. It took about a week of copying and deleting

over a hundred Registry entries before I could make it go away. The I had to

manually delete all the files too. The instructions to do it this way came

from Microsoft, would you believe. They ought to be doing time for fraud and

selling defective merchandise. I was really reluctant to move to Vista, and

I hate it, but had no choice, that's how my new PC came.

I guess I will have to manually uninstall Adobe Reader, fixing the registry

as I go; then I will install Acrobat 8.0. I have had no trouble with this

release on my other PC.

As far as who is responsible, it is a lack of cooperation between software

companies and the constant "rush" everything to market before "real" user

level testing is complete.

Best regards,

Peter.

• 9. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                          mb300e4m Level 1

Would it not have been a lot easier for all concerned if the app name was simply restated when the other poster asked about it. It would have saved a lot of back and forth. This is typical of many forum postings, it's a bit like a Beatles movie. It was not intuitively obvious. The posting said it was no longer available. This means "no longer" available, or does it mean it "is" available? Huh, what, when, why, why not?

• 10. Re: Cannot uninstall reader 9.3.2 or install update
                            pwillener Level 8

I don't know how I can make this more clear...

pwillener wrote:

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is no longer available from Microsoft, but there are countless downloads from 3rd-party download sites.

Microsoft has removed the utility from their downloads, but if you use Google, you can still find it on dozens of 3rd-party download sites.