4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 8:01 AM by YKCreativeArts

Image linking - Apply to all - Repair?

pbenedetti

When you open an illustrator file and there are several images that need to be linked, illustrator asks whether you want to replace them...

There is also a box option to check that says "apply to all"

Why when I use these options does illustrator still make me link each image individually?

Is there a fix for this or a preference somewhere that I am missing?  I'm still using CS4 BTW.

Thanks in advance for any help...

• 1. Re: Image linking - Apply to all - Repair?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This should only occur if the stuff is really scattered in different directories on different drives. As far as I understand it, the routine scans all folders below the topmost folder/ drive of the hierarchy that was used to replace the first image, but never outside it. so if the first image is in folder /XYZ/ABC, but other images are in TUV/XYZ/ABC, only XYZ and below will be covered. I still believe it is not working correctly and should not suffer this limitation, but for the time being I'm not aware of any way to change it otehr than keeping everything in the same place, that is a dedicated project folder.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Image linking - Apply to all - Repair?
            YKCreativeArts Level 2

I agree with Mylenium. Apply to all is only applicable in case where missing files are supposed to be replaced with same name files and all the missing files are in the same folder hirarchy.

• 3. Re: Image linking - Apply to all - Repair?
              pbenedetti Level 1

Thank you both...

I understand what you are telling me.  I understand about having images in the correct folder.  What I don't understand is why it happens when I link to a particular image (with those options checked) and the image does not update every instance of that image within the file. If I click 'repair' and check 'apply to all' - navigate to the image - select it - then shouldn't it update every instance of the image within the file?  If not then why have the 'apply to all' option? If this is an illustrator issue I'm very surprised since for the most part illustrator is pretty user friendly and logical.

• 4. Re: Image linking - Apply to all - Repair?
                YKCreativeArts Level 2

Yes, you are correct. But I am seeing this issue in my CS3 too, are you not? Which version are you using?

I recommend you reporting this issue to Adobe via https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform , so at least we have fix for it in future.