7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 9:59 AM by nealeh

Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found

yeldahtron2

I have recently installed PRE 8 (paid single user) on my Windows 7 dual-core machine, and I have installed the 8.0.1 patch.  I can import, edit and render video and audio just fine.  I can save files as AVI and MPEG, but whenever I try to save a my movie as a Windows Media file, the rendering progress bar is displayed followed immediately by a pop-up entitled "Export error" with notification "Writer not found."  I have reinstalled PRE8, turned of my antivirus, but nothing seems to resolve this problem. I cannot seem to find any remedy on the web.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

• 1. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what operating system you have, but make sure you manually go to Windows Update and download even the non-critical updates. (If you're using XP, click the Custom button.) Also, go to Apple.com and make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime (which supports all video editing on personal computers).

If that doesn't fix it, you can do an easy workaround. Just Share/Personal Computer/AVI of your project, import that AVI into Windows MovieMaker and output your WMV from there.

• 2. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
            yeldahtron2 Level 1

As I mentioned above I am running Windows 7 (omitted above: 64 Home Premium Edition). I have all updates installed, and I have verified I have latest device drivers.  With regards to QuickTime, I am suffering from the accursed "Error 46: Could not load or fine Quicktime Active X control." So I am running withouy quicktime, but do I really need an Apple product to produce Windows Media?

I have tried to correct the Error 46 problem by using the "Subinacl/Reset" solution desribed in many places (e.g. http://research.gerger.com/?view=lab:en&aID=1006 under "Quicktime Annoyances"), but that solution isn't working for me.  I can see that the issue is with registry priviledges -- no one can read the QT registry keys once QT is installed ("Insufficient Priviledge"). I suspect this solution isn't working, because I never installed an account named "administrator" on my machine, and it looks like the reset.cmd script assumes that you have.

I sure hope I don't need Quicktime to produce Windows Media, otherwise, I have spent a lot of money on a tool (PRE 8)  that won't serve my needs.

• 3. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I've said, Quicktime plays an important part in all PC-based video -- and it's an important underlying techology for Premiere Elements.

It may or may not be what's at work in this particular case -- Windows 7 64-bit is still a relatively new operating system and it does regularly cause challenges for Premiere Elements that we hope will be patched in Windows 7 SP1. But if you can't install Quicktime, whatever is causing that problem may also be causing your export issues.

• 4. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I am not a fan of QT Player (even my Pro versions), but I have had a version installed for many, many years. I am currently using 7.5.5, which is still my "last known good" version, as several of the 7.6.x versions have caused problems with Adobe programs.

Is there a reason that you do not want to install the free QT Player?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
                  yeldahtron2 Level 1

It's not that I don't want to install the free QT player, it's simply that I cannot make the program work on Windows 7.  Once QT is installed, I get the famous "Error 46" error (cannot find Activex controls).  The issue is caused by the QT installer when run on Windows 7/Vista, wherein incorrect permissions are set on QT's registry keys (no one can read them).  I have tried to execute the corrective action identified on various websites (see previous posts), but they don't work for me.  I was hoping that I could solve my PSE problem separate from the QT problem, but it sounds like QT might be the root cause issue of my PSE issue.

• 6. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have forgotten - are you using a 64-bit OS? To date, QT is a 32-bit program. Now, many Win7 - 64-bit users have installed and run QT Player just fine. However, as you point to others with issues - not all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Cannot create Windows Media with PRE 8 - Writer not found
                      nealeh Level 5

If not something you've already tried, right-click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator'. That should allow the installer to add to the registry. If that still does not work download the (64-bit) iTunes & QuickTime installer from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. You can then uninstall iTunes leaving just the QT player.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children