1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2010 6:21 AM by Steve Grisetti

Help! Video plays fine in organizer, shows up red in sceneline

deanna_martin

Hi there -- I'm new to premiere elements 8 and I'm trying to include a video clip in a sceneline. It's an .MP4 file from a digital still camera that also shoots video (a sony cybershot). When I look at the video clip in elements organizer, it shows up fine and plays with both audio and video. Looks great. Then I go to premiere elements and try to drag the video to the sceneline or to even click on the video clip for it to play. The video shows up as a block of red -- no image other than solid red. The audio still plays, but all I'm seeing is red (literally and figuratively at this stage...very frustrating). Anyone know why this might be happening or what can be done to fix it? In pre, the video can be seen in the media section on the right of the screen. But it turns red as soon as I drag it to the sceneline or click on it to play.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help! Video plays fine in organizer, shows up red in sceneline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, update to the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com.

Then go to the ATI or nVidia sites and make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

It's possible this may fix it (depending on which camera it came from and how your system is set up. But, if it doesn't, you may need to convert the video file to a more standard format.

I'd recommend you convert that .mp4 to another format before you bring it into Premiere Elements. Video from still cameras usually does need to be converted before Premiere Elements can work with it.

The best program for converting mp4s is Quicktime Pro, which sells for $29 on Apple.com. It will convert it to a DV-AVI (if you're working on a standard definition project) and I believe it will also convert it to a HDV-quality MPEG (if you're working on a project for BluRay).