7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2010 7:22 AM by AnthonyAndrews

Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?

AnthonyAndrews

I completed editing a video using PE8 and successfully burnt a Blu Ray disk on my computer.  I wanted to make more copies using normal DVDs (the disk burner can do either type of disk).. The program renders the video again and then starts to burn a disk but stops at 1%. Should I burn any DVDs first and then go on to Blu Ray or is this problem unrelated to the order in which I tried to burn the disks?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How long is your BluRay video project?

BluRays hold 25 gigs of data. DVDs hold 4.7 gigs. In other words, you'll only be able to fit about 10 minutes of a BluRay video on a DVD.

Are you saying you're going through the whole encoding process again from the same project to burn a DVD after you've made a BluRay?

That's probably not the best way to do it.

A better way is to output an AVI from your video project (Share/Personal Computer/AVI), then open a new project (using DV settings) and place the AVI on the timeline.

You'll need to put in menu markers and recreate the disc menu -- but you'll much more likely be able to produce a successful DVD from it than you will from that hi-def project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not clear on exactly what you wish to do either.

As Steve asks, are you Burning a BD Project to DVD, or are you wishing to take your BD Project and then down-rez that from HD to SD to Burn to DVD in SD?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
              AnthonyAndrews Level 1

Hi Steve, Thanks for your help.

The project runs for 40 minutes.  I assumed that by selecting DVD, encoding it again and selecting 'fit contents to available space' that it would compress to fit on a DVD.  However your suggestion of outputting an AVI file and working from that sounds much better.  I'll do that tomorrow (time difference - I'm in Australia) and report back how it goes.

This should probably be a separate question, but I've been told that converting AVCHD to AVI prior to editing is a good way to go as it is less compressed and processes faster. Is this a PE8 option?  I've heard it can be done on Edius.

• 4. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
                AnthonyAndrews Level 1

Hi Bill,

Just to clarify things, yes I want to make SD copies of the same project onto DVDs for friends who don't have Blu Ray players. Could I also ask - if I've started to burn say 2 disks and then decide more are needed, is there a way or adding extra copies without going through the whole encoding process again?

• 5. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As AVCHD is HD material, you would probably be best served to convert to HDV, which is the native HD format/CODEC for PrE.

As for forcing the program to down-rez for DVD, Steve's suggestion is the best. Once one gets into the "authoring" phase, they are using the Sonic Authorcore modules in PrE, and one should be feeding those the material, that is needed, as they do not do any "editing." It's the same if one is using PrPro, which includes the stand-alone authoring program, Encore. When doing authoring (the process of producing a DVD, or BD), one should feed Encore the proper files to begin with.

Good luck, and let us know how the DV-AVI Type II file with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, works,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's easy with DVDs. Just select the option Burn to Folder on the Share/Disc menu.

This creates a VIDEO_TS folder. Just use your DVD burner software (Nero, etc.) to burn that VIDEO_TS folder to a disc and you can produce as many copies of your DVD as you want! (Best of all, it only takes about 10 minutes per disc.) Make sure you select the option to burn a playable disc rather than  data disc if you're using Nero!

With BluRays it's a bit harder, since there is not BluRay Burn to Folder option.

However, you should be able to burn just one master BluRay disc, copy its files to your computer and then use your burner software to make copies of it.

• 7. Re: Preferred order for burning Blu-Ray and DVD disks?
                      AnthonyAndrews Level 1

Thanks for all the advice. I outputted the AVI as suggested, created a new project and burnt it successfully. The only thing different I noticed on playing back the disk on my television or computer was that the picture size fills only about 3/4 of the screen as compared to a full screen image when burning Blu Ray or DVD disks directly from PE8. Is this to be expected or did I use a wrong setting somewhere?  I noticed on project settings it says the frame width on the AVI file is 720 wide and 576 high which is smaller than the frame size of 1920 wide by 1080 high on the original project. I should mention I am using PAL and a Sony HDR-SR7 camera to create the footage.