9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2007 8:57 PM by bregent

Help placing photos

Cattaneo
      I would like to place photos on different part of the screen, with small text caption under each of them. All I can seem to do is put images right next to each other, not on either side of the page, or with a space I set. There must me a more free form way to setup a page. Here's what I have done, but would like to improve on it by adding more images on the right side with captions. I don't want to use frames.

http://malawidrilling.syr.edu/malawitest.html

Thanks

Peter
        • 1. Re: Help placing photos
          Use tables, or divs.
          • 2. Re: Help placing photos
            Cattaneo Level 1
            I assume divs is divisions? Where is that located in the menus? I don't like tables, because you can see the frame of the table. I assume divs can be setup as a % of the width, etc? That way the page will display regardless whatever the users monitor resolution is?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Help placing photos
              Cattaneo Level 1
              Is it the same as Spry?
              • 4. Re: Help placing photos
                TC2112 Level 1
                Hello,

This might be a good place to start :

Intro to CSS Positioning

Take care,
                Tim
                • 5. Re: Help placing photos
                  joeq Level 1
                  I don't like tables, because you can see the frame of the table.

not true.
                  • 6. Re: Help placing photos
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >I don't like tables, because you can see the frame of the table.

You will only see the 'borders' of the tables if your tables if your borders are enabled, otherwise the tables can simply be used as a container. IMO, tables are much easier for a beginner to use for layout than CSS - but it's your choice. If you are going to be serious about web design, you really need to learn both.
                    • 7. Re: Help placing photos
                      Level 7
                      >>There must me a more free form way to setup a page.

Sorry, there's not. DW is an HTML editor not a drawing program. To be
                      successful you will have to understand both (X)HTML & CSS.

Think of an HTML page as an upside down Tetris game. In Tetris a shape
                      enters the page at the top and moves automatically to the bottom. It goes
                      where it wants unless you redirect it. In HTML a shape (rectangle) enters
                      the page as a div, table, paragraph, list, etc. & floats to the top (& left)
                      automatically. It will locate itself in its natural position on the page,
                      following the preceding element(s) unless you redirect it using CSS.

--

Walt

"Cattaneo" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:f9qoj3$hd6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I would like to place photos on different part of the screen, with small
                      >text
                      > caption under each of them. All I can seem to do is put images right next
                      > to
                      > each other, not on either side of the page, or with a space I set. There
                      > must
                      > me a more free form way to setup a page. Here's what I have done, but
                      > would
                      > like to improve on it by adding more images on the right side with
                      > captions.
                      > I don't want to use frames.
                      >
                      > http://malawidrilling.syr.edu/malawitest.html
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Peter
                      >

• 8. Re: Help placing photos
                        Cattaneo Level 1
                        How do I turn off the table borders?

If I right justify a image in the right side of a table, the text i would type below the image would be right justified too. That won't work. Is this where I could put a DIV to create a text box so i can left justify it under the image? I guess I'm not really sure how DIV and CSS are related. How do I create a CSS? First, how do I turn off table borders?
                        I'm going to take a class soon...
                        • 9. Re: Help placing photos
                          bregent Most Valuable Participant
                          >First, how do I turn off table borders?

By default, DW creates tables with a border width of 1. Just set it to 0.

>I'm going to take a class soon...

If you are talking about a DW class, don't bother. The problem most folks have with DW is that they start using it without an adequate knowledge of html, css, and page layout techniques. That's where you need to focus your attention. Once you know the foundation of building web pages, DW will be easy for you.