5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 7:30 PM by chengyon

Installing an extension _just_ for Photoshop x64 (or i86)

ilvar Level 3

Hello folks,

As part of our product we are installing a Photoshop panel (using XManCommand.exe command line utility from the Adobe Extension Manager CS5 suite). While in the Extension Manager there are two separate entries for Photoshop 64 and 32, it seems that this command always installs the panel for both platforms. Our installer natuarally allows the user to install the product for each platform separately, so I wonder how can we install the panel just to either 64 or 32 bit version of Photoshop?

Ditto for the uninstall.

Thanks in advance!

ivar

• 1. Re: Installing an extension _just_ for Photoshop x64 (or i86)
          chengyon Level 1

You can specify different 'product' tag in MXI to install extension for Photoshop 32/64 separately.

The following 'product' tag in MXI will install extension for Photoshop 32 only.

<product name="Photoshop32" version="12.0" primary="true" />

The following 'product' tag in MXI will install extension for Photoshop 64 only.

<product name="Photoshop64" version="12.0" primary="true" />

Best wishes,

Yong C

• 2. Re: Installing an extension _just_ for Photoshop x64 (or i86)
            Shane Li Level 1

Thanks for the information!

I am actually looking for install a flash based Create Suite Extension (as defined in page 5 of Packaging Extensions with - ADOBE® EXTENSION MANAGER CS5), with use a completely different "manifest" xml instead of MXI. I can only specify either "Photoshop" or "Photoshop Extended" as a whole, but not the actual version of 64 or 32 bit.

Is there any similar mechanism to specify the same information, but for a Create Suite Extension instead?

Thanks,

Shane Li

• 3. Re: Installing an extension _just_ for Photoshop x64 (or i86)
              chengyon Level 1

May I ask why you want to distinguish PS 64 and PS 32 for Creative Suite Extension? As far as I know, Creative Suite Extension should not care about the runing environment: 32bit or 64bit.

As you mentioned, currently there is only "Photoshop" or "Photoshop Extended" in manifest.xml, so Photoshop doesn't distinguish 32 and 64 for Creative Suite Extension. Hence, after the Creative Suite Extension is installed, both Photoshop64 and Photoshop32 would load this Creative Suite Extension.

The only way is to ask that Photoshop team to provide additional entries in manifest.xml so that Extension Manager can distinguish PS 32 and PS 64.  If Photoshop can provide like "Photoshop32" , "Photoshop64", "Photoshop Extended 32" and "Photoshop Exteneded 64", Extension Manager would be able to distinguish 32 and 64.

Note:

If you only want that extension is listed under Photoshop32 or Photoshop64 in the Extension Manager UI, there is one workaround for this. But note even that extension only occurs for Photoshop32 or Photoshop64,  both Photoshop32 and Photoshop64 would load this extension.

• 4. Re: Installing an extension _just_ for Photoshop x64 (or i86)
                Shane Li Level 1

Because we use the Creative Suite extension as a user interface panel for our C++ plugin. While the Creative Suite Extension is architecture independent, our C++ plugin is not. User may choose to install to either 32 bit or 64 bit Photoshop, but the Creative Suite Extension will always install to both.

If user choose to install the plugin only for 64 bit Photoshop, it makes no sense that the GUI Panel is installed to 32 bit as well. Unfortunately, I did not find a way to work around this. I guess extra entries in the manifest will be a good solution.

Cheers,

Shane Li

• 5. Re: Installing an extension _just_ for Photoshop x64 (or i86)
                  chengyon Level 1

Thanks for explanation. It is definitely a good requirement. Extension Manager will try to evaluate and implement it in the next release.

Currently, is it possible to have a universal hybrid extension for both 32 and 64 Photoshop? If user have both 32 and 64 PS installed, user may want to have extension for both. And on Mac, Photoshop is an universal build which contains both 32bit and 64bit binary, so I think it may make sense to have a universal exension for both 32 and 64 bit.