2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2010 1:35 PM by gGoblin

Playback in OSX 10.4 perfectly!! Upgrade to 10.5 & playback gone?!?

gGoblin

No joke.

So I'm running a trial version 2 months ago on my machine at work to prep for my CS5 launch presentation. Everything worked splendidly!!! Mercury playback was sent to us from heaven dripping with angel sweat, a miracle sent from on high! Truly a remarkable game changing development. Light years beyond my expectations!!!

FYI I was running it on a 2 x 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 16GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM & ATI Radeon HD 4870 running 10.5.whatever.

I was amazed at how well the playback worked with 4k files, raw camera data, HD, SD and effects all piled on top of one another... It was shocking!!!

2 weeks ago I install another trial version on another machine since the trial on mine was up. This time on a 2 x 2.93 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM & ATI Radeon HD 4870 running 10.5.whatever... once again everything worked better than I had ever imagined!! This is looking to be a huge game changer for our post dept.

Last week all the machines get upgraded to snow leopard OSX 10.6.4 and the last machine had 10GB more RAM added to it and now playback has come to a screeching halt!!! I WAS DUMBFOUNDED, SPEECHLESS, AND LIVID!!! How is this even possible?

Someone please explain what happened and what we need to do to get the playback back.

BTW I already know the answer "Get a supported Nvidia card." That's bogus... it worked perfectly before why not now?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Playback in OSX 10.4 perfectly!! Upgrade to 10.5 & playback gone?!?
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

If I had to guess, I think it's related to the display driver with 10.6.4.  Try backing off to 10.6.3 & let us know if that has any impact.

• 2. Re: Playback in OSX 10.4 perfectly!! Upgrade to 10.5 & playback gone?!?
            gGoblin Level 1

Thank you for your prompt response...

Come to find out my user profile did not have write permission to the scratch disk at it's root level. Our IT admin logged in as an admin and gave the users permission to write to it, prior to firing up premiere. Everything worked as expected when logged in as an admin. We then switched back to my user profile and violå it worked unexpectedly!!!

That was the problem, my user profile did not have root write permission to the scratch drive premiere was writing preview files to.

I was wrong... our IT informs me that he thinks an admin user needs update Premiere with the most recent update then open a project to start Premiere 1st in order to correctly set up the hardware configuration.

Thanks again Wil!

And thank you Jesse!!

Message was edited by: gGoblin