7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 1:56 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30

filmschooljefe08

I am trying to capture footage from my Canon Vixia HV30 into premier.  When I go to File--Capture it says that the capture device is offline.  I am using USB connection and on a Mac.

Anyone know what may be causing this problem?

• 1. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Capturing only works over fire wire. Never USB.

• 2. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
            filmschooljefe08 Level 1

I was hoping that wouldnt be the answer haha but thank you!  Guess I need to buy a cable this weekend. 

• 3. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would imagine that the USB cable is only to get stills from say an SDX card onto your HDD.

As Harm mentions, Capture (what you want) is only via FW.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
                lanstrad Level 1

Have the HV30 and I can confirm this works with FIrewire. Although I may have to

shut down cam and fire it up  from time to time so it will be detected... But when this happen, it happens just once when I begin the session (though it stay connected...)

However, if anyone can tell me if I can transfer still photos with USB without the apparently supplied CD software I never found in the box... For instance, maybe with Photoshop ? - My other solution would be to find a Mini SD adapter with USB connection, but I can't believe there is not a *direct* way to do it without pulling the SD card out ??

• 5. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
                  Scott A 1974

I have a similar camera (M31) and I think you may be going at this wrong.  I don't think your camera even has a firewire port.  It records AVCHD files.  Just copy the files through USB to a folder on your hd and import them into Premiere.  It is much faster to copy them as files than it is to capture them.  Will take a few minutes to copy the files as opposed to real time to capture.

• 6. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For the transfer of stills, via USB, I use a program, ThumbsPlus from Cerious Software, and it works fine. They update the camera modules often, so RAW from the newest Nikons, Canons, etc., are quickly supported. Though I have the appropriate software for each of my cameras, I find ThumbsPlus to be better, than what the mfgr. supplied. I even use it before Photoshop and ARC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Capturing video from Canon Vixia HV 30
                      Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Scott,

The Canon HV 20/30/40 is a tape videocamcorder , we have used it for 4 years , it has a firewire port for HDV capture to Premiere Pro on a PC and USB2 for transfer of still images at 1920 x 1080i and.to avi file clips as video..

The video is at 1920 x 1080p and stored at 1440  x 1080i and it anormorphically outputs the video as 16:9 for HD widescreen (PAL) , it can also be used for play back of tapes recorded in HDV standard from the Canon Professional Canon XL H1, XH G1 or XHA 1 in both 25F mode or 50i (see Canon's Manual Specifications p98 General Information. And can be used as a VTR for transferring H.264 mov  at 1920 x1080 from a Canon 5D mark II for presentation after editing in Premiere Pro on a , say a Sony Bravia Tv HD ,using an HDMI port from the camcorder on a pre-recorded high definition tape. The m2t file generated via Premiere Pro can be used to Export to Blu-Ray  in either H.264 or mpeg-2/HDV.

Ie., Unless this Vixia 30 is an intirely different unit to that sold in Australia.