10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2010 4:12 PM by kglad

Buttons invisible?

bronzino1

Using Flash CS5 for the first time today. I followed these directions to the letter to create a Button as a Symbol in my *fla file:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Flash/10.0_UsingFlash/WSd60f23110762d6b883b18f10cb1fe1af6-7dc0 a.html

Up, Down etc. are set to "visible." I have other layers but the button layer is on top.

Yet the button does not appear. It works (I have it set to link to a URL), is clickable etc. but you cannot see it.

I'm sure it's a very simple issue but neither a Google search nor a search of this forum was revealing.

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Buttons invisible?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

what do you mean by, "Up, Down etc. are set to 'visible.'"?

• 2. Re: Buttons invisible?
            bronzino1 Level 1

In the referenced article, it has directions for setting the Over, Up, Down and Hit states of the button. Each of those states has a "visible" checkbox in the sidebar, and in my case, each state (keyframe?) has visible "checked."

• 3. Re: Buttons invisible?
              bronzino1 Level 1

I think I am on to the problem but not sure how to put it completely to bed. The problem seems to stem from the fact that my non-button layers are new flash layers created by importing a Photoshop PSD file. If I import them as keyframes rather than Flash Layers, they do not obscure the buttons. I do not understand why this is, however. "Move to back" should allow the buttons to be seen regardless.

• 4. Re: Buttons invisible?

what are you calling the sidebar?

• 5. Re: Buttons invisible?
                  bronzino1 Level 1

The properties area associated with each button state.

• 6. Re: Buttons invisible?

go to your buttons timeline.

click on the up frame.  is there a "visible" checkbox in the properties panel?

while the up frame is still selected, click on the on-stage object.  is there a "visible" checkbox in the properties panel?

if you click elsewhere, do you see that checkbox?

• 7. Re: Buttons invisible?
                      bronzino1 Level 1

Just for clarity's sake, the "buttons" I am using are the ones that come  pre-packaged with Flash CS5 as "components." You can choose to treat  them as a movie clip (component) or as a button (instance).

If it is treated as a button, there is no "visible" checkbox in the property form at all. If I classify it as a movie clip, there is a "visible" checkbox and it is checked.  But either way, the button disappears behind any graphics I place on the stage (in layers).

I really appreciate your help. Would it be easier if I linked to the clip on the web? If so, I will shoot it up to my website asap.

• 8. Re: Buttons invisible?

ignore everything above (and, in the future, if you're discussing a component specify that -  it changes everything).

drag a new button component to the topmost layer and don't change any of its default settings.  retest.  do it appear where you expect?

• 9. Re: Buttons invisible?
                          bronzino1 Level 1

Oh dear, I did just figure out the problem. I did not realize that the order that the layers appear in the Timeline is also the order in which they are stacked in the playback. I just assumed that when I selected an object in a layer and selected "bring to front," I was moving the entire layer to the top.

It was your comment about "drag[ging]... to the topmost layer" that tipped me off. That's not in the article I cited.

Thank you so much for putting up with questions from a noob, kglad. I really appreciate it.

• 10. Re: Buttons invisible?

you're welcome.