11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 2:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Jerky playback in PP

DimmuJed

My playback had been fine till recently. Now when I playback any file on any SSD or HDD it is jerky.

It will play audio fine, and play the video fine, but every few seconds it jumps back a split second, and then catches back up.

It was working fine prior to today.

My system is decent enough to handle it too,

i7 940 (3.4GHz)

8 GB Ram

8800GT Nvidia

160GB SSD as main drive.

Help!

• 1. Re: Jerky playback in PP
          DimmuJed Level 1

This even happens on titles with text only.

Seems to have started after the 5.0.1 update. Fix? Work around? Way to roll back?

Also does it in converted playback...ugh

Just uninstalled 5.0.1 and reinstalled off my discs. Still having the same problem...ugh!

• 2. Re: Jerky playback in PP
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your Sequence Preset and what is your source footage?

Do you have a red line over your Clips?

If so, what happens if you Render (hit Enter)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Jerky playback in PP
              DimmuJed Level 1

If I hit render it does the same thing. My source and my sequence match up.

The thing is, this even does it on projects I've already encoded and finished, that it hadn't prior.

Could it be a codec issue? I've unistalled all the codecs I've installed recently and that hasn't fixed the problem.

Could it be a Flash problem?

I'm so frustrated. I've been trying to fix it for 3 hours...

• 4. Re: Jerky playback in PP
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Could it be a codec issue? I've unistalled all the codecs I've installed recently and that hasn't fixed the problem.

Could be, but without the full details of the source footage, it would only be a guess.

Which CODEC's did you install? I hope that it was not something like K-Lite CODEC pack, or anything with FFDShow. Do you have FFDShow installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Jerky playback in PP
                  DimmuJed Level 1

it was the k-lite pack... and ffdshow was installed too... is that a problem? ive always used those b4...also all the files i edit are mp4 or avi at 29.97 fps. usually from sd to hd 1080p. though like i said it even does it on titles with no actual video on a brand new project even

• 6. Re: Jerky playback in PP
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

K-Lite is like a light knot around your neck and when you add fast forward to the show, you may show symptoms like choking or worse.

Your hardware is good enough to handle editable material with relative ease, so either your material is intended to be watched and not edited, or you still have trouble with remnants of these codec packs. In the last case a fresh install of OS and programs may be your best bet.

Two lessons to be learned from this experience:

1. Never install codec packs, unless you are absolutely sure, confirmed by multiple other users, that it is safe and you really need them. Examples of safe codecs are Lagarith, Cineform, Morgan and Mainconcept.*

2. Use G-Spot or MediaInfo to determine the codec used in the source material and post a screenshot when you have questions about a problem.

* Even these codecs may initially cause problems in a new 64 bit version.

• 7. Re: Jerky playback in PP