8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 10:48 AM by jtwilson77

Wish list for AE CS6

jeromeOlivier Level 1

Been using AE CS5 and loving it, but wish there were a couple of more features...

-- shadow color for 3D lights.  not only control the color of the light, but of the shadows they create (like in Lightwave and other 3D packages)

-- more user friendly expression library.  gimme easy to apply presets with sliders!

-- openCL acceleration for us non nVidia folks.

I'm sure there are others, but just hope this reaches the right eyeballs...

• 1. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The right eyeballs aren't on this forum. They're here: feature-request form

For more information about the best ways to communicate with the After Effects team about various kinds of things, see this post.

• 2. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Each of your requests is a good one, but I wanted to make sure that you know of the features that do exist that get you partway to what you're asking for:

-- more user friendly expression library.  gimme easy to apply presets with sliders!

Be sure to check out the animation presets in the Behaviors category.

-- openCL acceleration for us non nVidia folks.

I think that you may be confusing After Effects with Premiere Pro. It's Premiere Pro that uses CUDA acceleration, not After Effects. After Effects does use OpenGL to accelerate some things.

> -- shadow color for 3D lights.  not only control the color of the light, but of the shadows they create (like in Lightwave and other 3D packages)

You can control the color of a shadow by either passing the shadow through a colored layer or by affecting the Material Options properties of the layer receiving the light.

• 3. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
              jeromeOlivier Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Each of your requests is a good one, but I wanted to make sure that you know of the features that do exist that get you partway to what you're asking for:

Thank you!

Be sure to check out the animation presets in the Behaviors category.

I have and am already using quite a few in my current compositions, but would still like way to control, through the GUI, multiple expressions at once (like frequency, or fall off, etc.).  If there's a way to do this already, please point me in the right direction.

- openCL acceleration for us non nVidia folks.

I think that you may be confusing After Effects with Premiere Pro. It's Premiere Pro that uses CUDA acceleration, not After Effects. After Effects does use OpenGL to accelerate some things.

Huh!  Silly me.  I thought AE used CUDA to accelerate renderings...  Shows how my imagination runs circles around me.

> -- shadow color for 3D lights.  not only control the color of the light, but of the shadows they create (like in Lightwave and other 3D packages)

You can control the color of a shadow by either passing the shadow through a colored layer or by affecting the Material Options properties of the layer receiving the light.

Like, oh my God!  I never thought of that.  Insert color solid layer, make shadow only, set light transmission to 50% and make layer above it casts no shadows, set light transmission to 100% and bingo, tinted shadows.  So cool!

Thanks, Todd.  I shall drink my next glass of wine in your honor.

• 4. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
                Oralsky2010 Level 1

First, the next generation of Adobe After Effects should do more with enhancing the working environment which Motion 4 did.

When a user opens the application, they just want to think of how to make their creativity comes truth with flexible and easy-to-use tools. Not too complicated like the ones in AE right now. Full black solid appearance theme like the gray one in Photoshop (without Windows Aero theme in the title) that may save some spaces for menu bar and look cooler. Using tabs to work with multiple AE files in just one window like Photoshop. Improvement in Drag-and Drop or multi-touch screen. The feature in AE is cool but they somehow hidden and hard to find or use. Let bring them in the front with easy-to-understand icon and able to expand them by click and hold to show more options that related to main feature. Thumbnail view should be better than the list or menu view in filter effects, presets, animations, and 3D text style built inside AE divided by tabs (Drag and Drop should be applied for these thumbnails). Windows 7 came with their redesigned taskbar that can feature as the progress bar and tasking menu for each application that has the icon on it. Think about using these two features of the new taskbar, user will be able to do simple tasks in AE by just right click and choose the task on the icon in the taskbar or get informed about rendering process without staying in AE windows by progress bar feature in Windows 7's taskbar.

Second, there are many plugins available for users to buy but they're so expensive. Buying After Effect like buying a house without door, appliance, or some other necessary things. After Effects should rather bring more tools, effect filters, or creative features than focusing on creating just one or two significant features. We need to think about renewing the old creative stuffs in AE like brand new built-in Particle System, Lens Flares improved with more types of len or color of light, Easier 2D/3D reflection/lighting/shadowing, Painting Brush (3D stroke type) or easy Extrude 3D Text/ Object with more animations and presets than the current version. Each of them should be organized and listed in the thumbnail view. Users will be able to do the drag-and-drop operation on this. How about the behavior with the physic ability like gravity,wind for objects or smart objects that have the physic ability? That would be great. The power of AE in the future needs to focus on 3D movie making aslo, althought there are set of features that allow us to do that, but not fully supported. If needed, they could make the specific mode for 3D movie making only in individual window.

Third, the acceleration of performance is really big step. 64-bit support is a very good thing for AE, but since many releases of AE I haven't seen such the improvement like startup speed and stability. AE in the one that has slowest startup speed among with its friends like Photoshop, Flash, or Dreamwaver and somtime crashes. The Team needs to think about that.

Fourth, I also suggest a feature called "Realism" that will be able to make or organize the colors, lights, or even edges of every 2D/3D objects in a composition or each composition and help them look more realistic with just a few clicks.

Hopefully, my suggestions will help Adobe improve their next AE. CS6 should be the greatest development with Additions, Accelerations or Enhancements among its previous versions. By that way, there will be more users will think of buying or upgrading to new CS6. That's what I and other users are looking for.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As I said earlier on this thread, the best way to send feature requests using the feature-request form.

• 6. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
                    peedy.tv Level 1

Facebook Group:

After Effects CS6 - I don't want new features, just

MAKE IT FASTER!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192703277422971&ap=1

• 7. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
                      nazim2000 Level 1

i wish that ae goes bilengual for arabic, hebrew ....... that what alot of people miss

thx

• 8. Re: Wish list for AE CS6
                        jtwilson77 Level 1

Can we Pleeeeaaase get the full free transform for masks in AE? I am a visual effects artist and if we could skew, warp, etc with masks/ mask points (scale is all that is offered now) that would increase timing on Roto significantly

This is all I really want in an update. Flesh out some more of the basic manual functioning, maybe make actionscript edting a little more user friendly as well.