6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 6:30 AM by Steve Grisetti

Some serious help needed please

my menace

My system:  Toshiba Satellite windows 7 32 bit, intel core2 duo, 2gb of ram, 225 gb of free space on main HDD

I'm new to adobe premiere so please be kind, I recently installed Premiere Elements 4 on my Toshiba laptop, I'm running Windows 7 and I can't use Premiere for more than 3 minutes at a time without it crashing, it won't render videos without crashing and it just generally won't do anything without crashing.  I need some help trying to figure this out, I've tried and tried and can't find any help anywhere so I'll turn to you guys.

• 1. Re: Some serious help needed please
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you've got all of the Windows Updates (including the non-critical ones) and you've got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, your problems are most likely related to your source video.

What type of camcorder are you getting your video from and how did you get it onto your computer?

Meantime, to help get you up and running, I've created a series of free Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials for videomaker support site Muvipix.com. I've also got more advanced tutorials and books available on Muvipix.com and Amazon that will help you with further training.

• 2. Re: Some serious help needed please
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you running in XP compatibility mode?

Are you Administrator so the program has FULL access to the hardware?

Use the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to determine the CODEC inside your file

• 3. Re: Some serious help needed please
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There could be several reasons for the crashes. Let's start with gathering more info. This ARTICLE will give you an idea of what will be important, and also how to gather some of it. I see that John T. has already mentioned G-Spot, and it is very useful for determining nearly all data from AV files.

Next, my older Toshiba Satellite came loaded with so very much bloatware, that it would hardly run. It took about two days of cleaning to get it going. This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up a computer for an editing session. With Win7, do look down the list, and read Black Viper's Win7 tune up tips. There are also a lot of FAQ Entries in the PrE FAQ sub-forum, accessed to the right of the main forum page, and I recommend reading over those too.

If tuning up your computer does not help, this ARTICLE will give you tips on tracking down clues as to what is happening with the computer and the program, before and during a crash.

Some very good initial maintenance steps would be to install the very latest audio and video drivers (my Toshiba had proprietary video drivers, and they never issued any new ones - not an easy thing to work with), and to also update Apple QuickTime Player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Some serious help needed please
                CruelRhetoric

right out the box I had problems with Adobe until I replaced the .dll files they recommended... it had the same erratic behavior.  After that they instructed me to update windows, which I did and Elements have never crashed again.  I don't know however how to get those .dll files again, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

The package name was

Pre_8_new_dll_files

• 5. Re: Some serious help needed please
                  my menace Level 1

The files I'm working with are .mod's and .vob's, the .mod's came from my JVC Everio Camera, and after doing a little more digging I learned that these files are import only for PRe, is this what's causing my problems?  I can work with the .vob's off of a dvd disc without any problems.

I worked around the .mod's by renaming the extension .avi but the playback in PRe was choppy although it never crashed

A couple more questions

Are you running in XP compatibility mode?

how do I determine that?

Are you Administrator so the program has FULL access to the hardware?

yes, or at least I should be

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

The package name was

Pre_8_new_dll_files

anybody have any idea at all how to find these?

I've also been slimming down the computer via the articles posted and it seems to be helping, thanks so much for the quick replies I really appreciatte it, any other info would be extremely helpful, I'll try to post more info as I go along but after reading a few of the articles in this forum I feel like my head's going to explode (been awhile since I've studied like this).

Anyways thanks so much for your help and should any other questions arise I know where to go

• 6. Re: Some serious help needed please
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As it says at the top of this forum page, go to the Premiere Elements Help menu and choose Check for Updates. This will load the 8.01 patch that will fix many of your problems.

Issues with MOD files are well documented and, unfortunately, pretty universal among all video editors. They're just tough files to deal with! The FAQs to the right of this forum offer some solutions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428054?tstart=0

As for VOBs, converting them before you bring them into Premiere Elements is always the best solution.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Otherwise, make sure your project is set up with the DVD project presets whenever you work with these video types. (As I say in my books, you can only set  your project settings when  you first begin a project.)

And remember, whenever there's a red line on your timeline above your clips, press the Enter key to render the files. (The red line will turn green.)

(One advantage to converting your files to DV-AVIs, as I recommended above, is that you'll need to do a lot less rendering.)

Assuming you've got your system updated and stabilized, per my initial post, these solutions should fix virtually all of your problems.