6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 3:07 AM by Tommy_TV

Footage too large for DVD by just a little..

OWoman Level 1

Is there a way to compress the AC3 a little more so I do not have to render my whole sequence again?  (32 hours).  My video is 4.573 MB and the audio is 138 MB.  Plus the menues in Encore (2 simple ones).

thanks

• 1. Re: Footage too large for DVD by just a little..
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It will fit nicely on a double layer.

• 2. Re: Footage too large for DVD by just a little..
            Harm Millaard Level 7

If you exported elementary streams, you could try a new export of AC3 audio only (which is much faster than both streams) and reduce your audio bitrate from 448 to maybe 224 Kbps. Otherwise, follow Ann's advise.

• 3. Re: Footage too large for DVD by just a little..
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several workflows that you can try:

1.) Ann's DVD-9 suggestion (my personal fav.)

2.) Export those elemental/elementary streams, as a DV-AVI Video-only, and the Audio-only as PCM/WAV. Import the DV-AVI into En as a Timeline and the PCM/WAV as an Asset. Drag the Audio-only file to the appropriate Timeline. Now, set up En to do the Transcode on its Automatic setting and there set your Audio Transcode to AC3. Let En squeeze it to fit the DVD-5. It does a good job, and if the settings affect quality too badly, it'll stop and warn you.

3.) Use DVDShrink to squeeze just a bit more out of the Transcoded material. When you have Transcoded properly, there may be JUST enough squeezing to get you onto a DVD-5, with little loss of quality.

Personally, I would try those suggestions in order, and I know that the DVD-9 will work perfectly, and may even allow you to bump your bit-rate up some in the MPEG-2, plus you can then use PCM/WAV for the best Audio.

One note: use Verbatim DVD-9's (SL), and burn about 2.4x. All DVD logo'ed players must play DL discs, BUT that is for commercial DL's. None is certified to play ANY burned discs, and some have more issues with burned DVD-9's, than DVD-5's. Still, if you use high-quality media, and a slower burn speed, you will get the highest possible chance of perfect playability. I have never had an issue with any of my test DVD players (plus 3 BD players), with any of my slowly burned Verbatim DVD-9's, and that test gear runs from a bargain-basement cheapie to some high-end esoterics. I have only had one client, who could not play one on their gear, so I just did a multi-disc DVD-5 set for them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Footage too large for DVD by just a little..
                OWoman Level 1

I would love to do dual layer but the fella I am doing the work for will be mass copying these (dance recitals)

so they have to be DVD-5.

2.) Export those elemental/elementary streams, as a DV-AVI Video-only, and the Audio-only as PCM/WAV. Import the DV-AVI into En as a Timeline and the PCM/WAV as an Asset. Drag the Audio-only file to the appropriate Timeline. Now, set up En to do the Transcode on its Automatic setting and there set your Audio Transcode to AC3. Let En squeeze it to fit the DVD-5. It does a good job, and if the settings affect quality too badly, it'll stop and warn you. 

Do you think this will give the same quality as Jeff's HDtoSD CS4 Media Encoder settings?

3.) Use DVDShrink to squeeze just a bit more out of the Transcoded material. When you have Transcoded properly, there may be JUST enough squeezing to get you onto a DVD-5, with little loss of quality.

Can I use DVDShrink on an .m2v file?

thanks

• 5. Re: Footage too large for DVD by just a little..
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Do you think this will give the same quality as Jeff's HDtoSD CS4 Media Encoder settings?

We are talking about two different things here. One is the down-rezzing of HD footage to SD for editing in an SD Project. The other is the Transcoding of the edited material for packaging into the DVD-Video structure, basically wrapping them in the VOB "container."

As far as ultimate quality goes, the higher the bit-rate (limits per the DVD-specs), the better the quality, but the larger the file, so space will become an issue here.

Now, there are MPEG-2 encoders, that can offer more passes to squeeze more from the file, and use the highest bit-rate for certain parts of it. ProCoder gets good marks, and the passes and prices go up from there. Hollywood uses some very specialized encoders, run by experts, who do nothing else all day, every day.

Can I use DVDShrink on an .m2v file?

I cannot tell you, but would assume that you can. Their site should have some recs.. I have only used it with straight DVD-compliant MPEG-2's (should just be an extension difference, but I do not know that for sure.) I tried it a few times, and was not that impressed, but others sign its praises and use it in their workflow constantly. Probably just OE on my part?

One last possibility would be to tighten the Duration of your Timeline, but I assume that you have the edit, just as you want it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Footage too large for DVD by just a little..
                    Tommy_TV

Create an .iso image of your DVD from Encore. (In the Build menu, select DVD Image in the 'Output' dropdown). Open this ISO in DVD Shrink and it will automatically (or manually if selected) fit the material to a DVD-5. If you have multiple titles within your project, you can individually change the compression, for instance keeping the main film uncompressed but slightly compressing trailers until it all fits onto a DVD5. It works extremely well 99% of the time. Deep anlaysis mode helps to keep quality

DVD-9's are very tempremental and won't play on all DVD drives and Set-top boxes in our experience.

Martin

Mint Copies