10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 1:25 PM by Wolfgang359

Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format

Wolfgang359

Hello,

I have a problem since years and so I use CS3 and dont want update to CS5.
      I want to know if my problem is solved at CS5 before I take my money.

It would be nice if you can check this for me.

My problem:

In the norm of the XDCAM-EX format (Sony Cam EX1 or EX3) there is a folderstructure where every clip is in an own folder. It is not possible to copy all clips into one folder. That means, if I have 580 clips in one project, then I have 580 folders with the XDCAM-EX folder-structure incl. metadatas.

Premiere CS3 works with this Format. That is not the problem.

I store the mainfolder with the 580 subfolders in the projectfolder. So I have all clips and all ressources in the projectfolder of premiere.
      But if I move the project to an other place and opens the project, the project asks me for every of the 580 clips manually.

If you have all videofiles in one folder there is no problem, because you give premiere the new one folder and the project loads.

But in the XDCAM-EX format I have every clip in its own folder. That means 580 clips in 580 folders. It is not possible to copy them in one folder without destroying the format. Premiere and all other programs need this structure and it works.

But it is not possible to move the project because I get questions some hours. I have to reference each of this 580 folders manually.

To move a project it is a normal operation in each production company.

I cannot have the project in the same driveletter in the same folder where I created it for my lifetime.

This is impractical. It may work for homeusers but in business there are circumstances that make it necessary to move the project.

The problem is, that premiere store the fileinformation with absolute pathinformation and not relative from the projectpath.

So if you work with the professional XDCAM-EX format you cannot move the project.

Is there a possibillity to change the storageinformation in premiere from absolute to relative path?

It woudl be very nice if one owner of an EX1 or EX3 can make a test.

Please make a new project in Premiere CS5, copy 3 clips in the new projectfolder (using the XDCAM-EX folderstructure) and import the clips in premiere.

Then close premiere and move the project to another place on your harddisk.

Pleas open the project and tell me if premiere asks for each clip (3 times) or premiere asks only 1 times and finds all 3 clips.

Very special thank for every help.
      This information is very important for me to know if it makes sense to upgrade to CS5.

Wolfgang

• 1. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          But if I move the project to an other place and opens the project

Why would you do that?

• 2. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
            jeremy d. Level 3

We use relative file paths now.

You can move the main folder, but don't destroy the file structure inside.

edit: be sure to review the limitations of the Trial version on the Adobe site before installing CS5.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

Jeremy,

Will PPro work with just fine the MP4 file from the BPAV folders? I was posting on another forum about how it's a good idea to keep everything in the BPAV folder and keep the folder structure intact, while another user posted that you really don't need any of those other files - PPro just now needs the video file itself. You won't have any of the camera metadata, but (his contention was) you don't need that all the time anyway. I haven't gotten around to testing it, and I figured I ask before I go mess with some footage.

• 4. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                jeremy d. Level 3

I haven't tried it with just the video files -- but I'm paranoid. I'm reasonably sure that the media files should be enough, but I haven't gone in that direction yet. I think that if you got rid of the xmp files, but left the folder structure in tact, you'd be ok (in our theoretical MP4-only universe), but if you extracted that media out, you'd need to relink to it once in its new location (which is the typical behavior in the case of moved assets, anyway).

Metadata is a good thing, and it's cheap.

• 5. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                  Eric Addison User Group Manager
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

jeremy d. wrote:

I haven't tried it with just the video files -- but I'm paranoid.

Metadata is a good thing, and it's cheap.

Agreed...thanks!

Now if I can get my wife off the phone, it's time to watch fireworks! Hope all us Yanks had a great 4th!

• 6. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                    jeremy d. Level 3

Enjoy.

We still have an hour of daylight left, maybe 2.

Eric Addison wrote:

Now if I can get my wife off the phone, it's time to watch fireworks! Hope all us Yanks had a great 4th!

• 7. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                      Wolfgang359 Level 1

Premiere Pro CS3 needs the full structure of the BPAV. To import the mp4-file without this structure is not possible. CS3 cannot read the mp4 without the metadatas. I dont know if that is also in CS5.

Jeremy,

thank you for your answer. My english is not very good, but I think you mean that it is possible to move the project, if all files (which the project needs) are inside the projectfolder.

Harm,

we discussed your question one year ago, and it was not possible that you understand it. You ignored at that time the need. You answered at that time with questions and say, "let the project on the original place". And now you do the same. You do not help with this approach.

I need it, believe me! But I can try the Explanation again.

The original project was created on a single PC in a folder on Driveletter C:

Now I use a Server-Network and it is not possible to use C: as driveletter.

Other reasons are:

The original projects was created on the PC of my friend. I take this project with me and on my PC I cannot create the same place for the project, because the driveletter in my network is used for an other purpose.

There are many other reasons why it is necessary to move the project. e.g. if you change your IT-Environment and much more.

Sorry for the first words of my statement. I remember to you. But I am not angry.

I hope you get the information as useful feedback.

• 8. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                        Wolfgang359 Level 1

@all

I have upload a structure with 3 clips in XDCAM-EX format.

It would be nice if anybody can check the following:

1. Make a new project

2. Copy my Folder with all subfolders without change into the projectfolder.

3. Import the 3 Clips of my folder into the project.

4. Close Premiere and move it to another place.

5. Open the Project again.

Is it necessary to refer to every of this 3 files or is it enough to refer 1 times

or is it not necessary to refer, because the clips are in the projectfolder.

Link to file premieretest.zip:

http://www.tondichter.com/tmpkld/premieretest.zip

Thx Wolfgang

• 9. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Wolfgang,

If you had your <projectname> in:

C:\<name>\<directory>\Projects with everything in subdirectories, including the BPAV folder,

make a trimmed project with project manager, then you will have an extra directory

C:\<name>\<directory>\Projects\Trimmed_<projectname>

Now copy this direcory to:

<drive_letter>:\<name>\<directory>\Projects\Trimmed_<projectname>

and you are ready to roll, if Jeremy is correct in the use of relative adressing and I have no reason to doubt his expertise.

• 10. Re: Premiere and Sony XDCAM-EX Format
                            Wolfgang359 Level 1

Harm,

thank you for your information. :-)

Wolfgang