7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 12:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Why do I have to transcode twice?

Gary Agoura

I am new to Premiere CS5 and Encore CS5.  I have an 18 minute video, so I did the "Adobe Dynamic Link" > Send to Encore.  I then did a build which did a transcode that took about 15 minutes or so, then it created the DVD.  Took out the DVD and played it on the TV and everything looked cool.

I then wanted to make a copy of the DVD so I tried with NERO to copy.  Got a read error.  I then tried to load the Encore project to burn a new DVD.  Nothing exists so I have to start the process all over.

Why can't I save the transcoded info so I don't have to do the whole process all over again?  I know I'm missing something but I don't even know where to start.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Why can't I save the transcoded info

You can, if you save the Encore project.  Seems like you didn't do that, though.

• 2. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If one does the additional "copies" when doing the initial Burn, there is no need to Transcode but once. If one later revisits the Project, then it WILL be Transcoded again. I am not sure what the deal is, but Encore does not keep track of the initial Transcode files, after you have done that first burn. You do not even need to close the Project/program, just do 2 DVD's, one at a time. I am a bit surprised, that Adobe has not linked better to those Transcode files, but it's been that way for a pretty long time. Might just be a weakness in the Sonic AuthorCore, on which En is built - might not be an Adobe issues at all?

If Nero could not do the copy, there are at least two possible reasons for this:

1.) a weakness in Nero - instead, use the free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the DVD to DVD Copy

2.) one used an inferior brand of blank media, or burned at too high a speed. I strongly recommend Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media, and to burn at less than the max speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
              Gary Agoura Level 1

I did save the Encore project and then opened it when I realized that my copy was not up to par.  Maybe I missed something.  I am encoding now and will check the settings once it finishes.

• 4. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
                Gary Agoura Level 1

I am using non name brand media and I suspect that could be the problem with the read error.  Funny though,

it plays on the TV just fine but the copy was unusable.  I do have some TDK DVD's that I can try.

• 5. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

TDK was once a respected brand. However, it seems that they have adopted the Memorex business model  - buy the very cheapest media available and relabel it with the TDK logo. There are many media identifier utilities (think that Nero & Roxio each has one), but the free ImgBurn, will tell you who made that media and even the lot number.

I strongly recommend Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blank media, and burn at less than max. speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I never "burn" from EN, I "build" to a folder.  I do the transcodes prior to building.  The transcodes are saved (CS3 and CS4).

I can't test at the moment, but are you saying that a) if you "burn" EN deletes transcodes?  and/or b) if you transcode while building to burn, EN does not save the transcodes?  Neither of those makes sense to me.

• 7. Re: Why do I have to transcode twice?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanely,

If one Burns to Disc in CS2 Production Studio (my version), and have 1 Copy set, and then decides to do another, Transcoding takes place again. If one chooses 2, or more, Copies, then En does only one Transcode.

If I need multiple Copies, I do so from within En at the same time, just swapping out blank media, or I Burn to Folder and use ImgBurn.

If I have already done one Burn to Disc, I will use my "master" and just use ImgBurn to do the Copies with a direct Burn from one drive to another. I do not even need to copy over files to the HDD, as ImgBurn does it directly, burner to burner.

Hope that is what you are asking about,

Hunt