3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2010 5:45 AM by JETalmage

How do you make this graphic?

JohnnyRoden03

I saw this really cool graphic done by firmorama with a lot of nice 3D  swirls and stuff coming out the side and I'm really not sure exactly  which program or how they're doing it. I am trained in photoshop and  illustrator and I know there are probably a couple different ways of  doing it but they make it look like it's a brush or something. I  understand the guy is all vector and I'm sure if I sat in illustrator or  photoshop for a few hours to make one of those 3D swirl things I could  lol but I'm curious if there is a fairly simple way of doing it over and  over again. I just need a push in the right direction. Thanks!

Firmorama-Graphic-Design-2.jpg

http://vectroave.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Firmorama-Graphic-Design-2.jpg

• 1. Re: How do you make this graphic?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

well you might be able to make it a graphic style. You could probably duplicate the first one and alter it or make it  symbol break the symbol link and alter that art *** well.

Or use the symbol tools to recolor and resize etc.

• 2. Re: How do you make this graphic?
            John Danek Level 4

The entire illustration can be done in Illustrator.  I see a few basic shapes ( wave, bubble, etc. ) that can be duped and modified per the design.  It's not a quick process and there are quite a few manual edits like gradient meshes, gradients, and blends. Then, there are several elements that are semi-transparent which may or may not be layered.  But, overall there are several basic shapes making up the composite. Nice artwork.

• 3. Re: How do you make this graphic?
              JETalmage Level 6
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}I  understand the guy is all vector...

Do you know that for a fact? The character could just as likely have been painted in Photoshop or some other raster program. A technique I've used countless times in Photoshop is to:

1. Draw or import vector paths (the guy's jacket, for example.)

2. Load the path as a selection.

3. Remove a portion of the selection.

4. Lighten / darken the remaining selection to create hard-edged shades and tints for highlights / shadows.

The result is very "vector looking" but entirely raster.

My guess is that, if it was in fact done in Adobe graphics programs, the curly "objects" were probably painted in Photoshop. Yes, one could tediously build them using a bunch of grads, blends, mesh grads, raster effects for the soft highlights, etc., etc., but it would be simpler and quicker to make vector path selections in Photoshop and then airbrush the shading within the selections. I doubt that any 3D modeling was used at all.

Unless you know it for a fact, it wasn't necessarily done in Adobe apps. For example, Xara Xtreme is quick and easy for applying soft-edge raster live effects such as graduated transparency and feathering for highlights and shadows, in a vector environment.

JET