5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 11:08 AM by stinky dondzil

reader update error

MarianWaddell

Am running windows 7, have reader 9.3.2 installed, when first tried to install update, got error 1310  error writing to file x86, tried turning off my AVG fire wall, but got same message, next turned of antispam and then got error 1321 insufficient privileges to modify file C etc. I am the administrator and only user of this computer.

• 1. Re: reader update error
          pwillener Level 8

MarianWaddell wrote:

error 1321 insufficient privileges to modify file C etc.

I would be interested to know the "etc." part in the message.

In the absence of details I can only suggest to remove the existing Reader installation using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.  This tool is no longer available from Microsoft, but you can use Google to find hundreds of alternate download locations.

• 2. Re: reader update error
            MarianWaddell Level 1

I just retried to update Adobe Reader, I turned off the firewall and set antispam to much lower. I use AVG. I again got the error message 1310. Here's the entire message - Error 1310 error writing to files: C:\Program files (x86)\Commom files\Adobe\Acrobat\Active X\AcroPDF.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory.

I hate to continually uninstall programs and then reinstall as this causes so many registry errors.

Marian

Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 19:56:12 -0600

To: [email address deleted by host]

Subject: Adobe Reader reader update error

• 3. Re: reader update error
              grich@insight.rr.com

I encountered a similar error and reacted the same way you did by turning off

security without success.

After disabling both the firewall and the antivirus for 15 minutes, I restarted my computer and then successfully performed the update.

So for me, completely disabling the firewall and antivirus security and then restarting my computer worked for me.  After the update successfully installed, I immediately enabled my security.

Maybe that technique will work for you too.

• 4. Re: reader update error
                pwillener Level 8

Registry errors?  Please elaborate.

• 5. Re: reader update error
                  stinky dondzil

I'm getting Error 1310 writing to file: C:\Program Files (x86)Adobe \Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe. Verify you have access to that directory.     Of cource I do I'm the administrator silly. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. and tried downloading twice after simply restarting the Computer. I really hesitate to turn off my firewalls and Antivirus SW just to download an update and uninstalling and reinstalling the necessary files should be a function of the update.

Unless someone has a more common sense suggestion I may just stick it out untill the correct patch comes out.