17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 3:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Video & Audio Tracks

cgnet Level 1

How many audio and video tracks does Adobe Premiere Elements offer? Is it like Adobe Premiere Pro cs4?

• 1. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There has to be a limit somewhere, but I have never heard mention of it. IIRC, PrPro can handle 99 of each, but I am sure that the exact figure is around my library somewhere. If I can track that down, I'll list it.

Maybe Steve Grisetti has run across an upper limit?

How many of each do you need?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
            nealeh Level 5

In PRE7, from the default project, a maximum of 100 audio and 100 video tracks can be added. Giving 103 of each.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thanks. I see that I was not THAT far off, but it's nice to know the official number.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

As the politicians so often say "I would like a recount!"

First let us clear the playing field of the Narration and Soundtrack in the count and direct this to the video and audio tracks. And, I will confine by comments to Premiere Elements 7.0 since you mentioned that version.

1. If you read the Premiere Elements 7.0 Help PDF, at one point it says "The number of tracks a project can contain has no limit..."

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7f83 .html

2. If you go to the Edit Menu/Project Settings and the Default Timeline, you can set no higher than 99 video tracks, no higher than 99 audio tracks

(that is a total figure, not 3 + 99 video and 3 + 99 audio)

3. If you go to the Timeline and right click to the left side of a video track there and select ADD TRACKS, you can type in no greater than 100 video and/or 100 audio (with the options of before or after the last track). Let us focus in on after the last track.

a. If you start off with the default Timeline = 3 video tracks and 3 audio tracks and you use the Timeline ADD TRACK feature typed in with the greatest number possible to type in, namely 100, you end up with 103 video tracks and 103 audio tracks.

b. HOWEVER, if you start off with the default Timeline = 4 video tracks and 4 audio tracks and you use the Timeline ADD TRACK feature typed in with the greatest number possible to type in, namely 100, guess what, you end up with 104 video tracks and 104 audio tracks.

c. I did not continue this exercise beyond that.

For me there is no practical point in this matter since I will never get my projects needing more than 3, may 5, video/audio tracks. I would however like to meet the person who will. It is not my intent to split hairs as they say, but rather to suggest that maybe we should demand an Adobe recount.

Before tonight I would have answered the question posed as 99 video tracks and 99 audio tracks. But not now....rather to infinity or until my computer exploded with the overload????

ATR

• 5. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're right, Tony.

Although the program is capable of 99+ audio and video tracks -- it's pretty unlikely your computer will be able to work with even a dozen tracks of video without lugging.

But the potential for 100 tracks of audio and 100 tracks of video is certainly present in the program.

• 6. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

This was an interesting one. I have always taken for granted max 99 video tracks and max 99 audio tracks per project, but never checked it out first hand...for me, no practical reason to do so.

So Neale's Premiere Elements 7.0 103 video tracks 103 audio tracks report sparked my curosity gene to take a look at this. Based on what I observed in my mini tests on this, it looks like Adobe may have called it when it wrote in its Premiere Elements 7.0 Help PDF "The number of tracks a project can contain has no limit..."

But we all agree that, although Premiere Elements 7.0 max number of video and audio tracks were designed with "has no limit", a given computer environment was not. I have not looked at this in Premiere Elements 8.0 yet, but I suspect the same situation applies.

ATR

• 7. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In all of my Projects, the "record" has been 48 Audio Tracks and 33 Video Tracks, though not in the same Project. Even with dual-21" monitors, that proved a bit tough (lot of scrolling) to keep up with. In my case, this was in PrPro, where I could, and did Rename each Track, so that I could keep up with where I was, and what I was doing. Unless it has been added, I do not believe that PrE has a Rename function of Tracks.

But at the very least, we have some numbers, up near the top of the count, so that we can shoot for some max number.

Now, to the OP:

Do you need more than 99, or 103, or more, Tracks? If so, I'd also point out a feature in PrE, that might be helpful - Show Audio Tracks Only, or Show Video Tracks Only. That would possibly help one keep things straight and not "split" the Audio to be with the Video, per the combined view.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I need for you to reconsider the part of your comment that I have typed in bold print.

"In my case, this was in PrPro, where I could, and did Rename each Track, so that I could keep up with where I was, and what I was doing. Unless it has been added, I do not believe that PrE has a Rename function of Tracks."

It is my recollection that you do have Premiere Elements 4.0, if not Premiere Elements 7.0 or Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Maybe you never tried to change the track names in Premiere Elements 4.0, but....

Based on my Premiere Elements 4.0, 7.0, and 8.0/8.0.1, you can change video and/or audio track names in these versions of Premiere Elements. You right click the video or audio track name and select Rename which is at the top of the list of track options.

ATR

• 9. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                          nealeh Level 5

Pedantically my comment was correct,

In PRE7, from the default project,

as the default project is for three tracks of each.

I've taken it to a conclusion. I created a custom preset with the default set to the maximum of 99 video and 99 audio tracks. To this can be added another 100 of each, giving 199 of each in total.

tracks.png

I have not been able to create a preset with more than 99, nor have I been able to add more than 100. So it seems to me that, in PRE7, 199 is the maximum.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

You are correct, and I appreciate your pointing that out to me. You are also correct that I have PrE 4. As I am using it on a tiny 17" high-rez laptop, I probably just missed hitting the Track Name box correctly. Sometimes, things (like vertically expanding a Track) are a bit of a "pixel hunt" on this display. Just did, as you suggest and hit it on the third try!

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

One hundred - ninety nine. That should keep one busy for a bit!

Now that ATR has pointed me to the Rename function in PrE (even my old version), I wonder if I could make up 199 names...  times 2?

Hunt

• 12. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Thanks for the recount. As of this moment I am also stuck at max 199 video and max 199 audio tracks for a Premiere Elements 7 project, using the various routes mentioned in your comments and mine.

Your follow up and interest were much appreciated. If I ever find a way to go beyond 199, I will post...but right now not looking likely.

ATR

• 13. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I found your information on your Premiere Pro video and audio track usage very interesting. Your concentration sounds outstanding to manage all that.

But when it comes to track naming I wonder how useful it is...finding a track by number versus name. I would think number, but....

ATR

• 14. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For me, having to keep a list of Video Track 23 = Track Matte 2, and Video Track 9 = Second line of Title 06, is a bit tough. That is why I name the Tracks, so that they DO make sense to me. As some of my Timelines are a couple of hours long, one most often will not be seeing what is on each Track.

It's the Same with the Audio. Why should I try to remember that Audio Track 4 is "Loon on lake," or that Audio Track 9 is "Frogs close to mic?"

No, naming works perfectly for me, when I have more than just a few Tracks.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at a rather simple little Project. Note that many of the Tracks have nothing on them, at the point of this view. I still know exactly what is on them, whether I can now see them, or not. Also, when I go to Audio Mixer, there is no guesswork, as to which Tracks I am adjusting - the name is right there in front of me. Hope that this helps to explain why I name my Tracks:

Named_Tracks_01.jpg

Just animate some Titles (PSD's from PS, where each line, or maybe even letter, is on a separate Layer), or add more SFX, that might need to be edited separately, and the confusion compounds.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                                        nealeh Level 5

I expect that by hacking the .prel file it may be possible to exceed the 199, but if it cannot be done within the project I don't count it as an acceptable method. In practical terms if anyone needs 199 or more tracks then Premiere Elements is not likely the best software choice.

Here's a nightmare scenario - running an AVCHD 5.1 project with 199 tracks on a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a 50GB hard disk

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Video & Audio Tracks
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a nightmare scenario - running an AVCHD 5.1 project with 199 tracks on a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a 50GB hard disk

I do not even want to think about that! Go away!

Hunt