7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 8:39 PM by BecStar99999

Simple Banner Help

Stan Difruscio

I've watched hours of Flash Catalyst tutorials on Lynda.com and Adobe.tv, but in all the video tutorials they show how to transition from one page to another based off an interaction by a button state.

What I'm trying to achieve is a simple Banner slideshow that transitions through each Page (6 Pages in total) every 8 sections. I also have buttons down in the bottom that you can click to transition between the banners (which work). What I can't seem to get working in the time is just the simple transition between banners automatically based of a timeline.

In my 'Interactions' panel, if I have it set to 'On Application Start' - 'Play Transition to State' - 'Banner 2', and run the Program, my animation will transition from Banner 1 to Banner 2. I can't figure out for the life of me how to get it to play Banner 2 to Banner 3, and so on.

If someone can walk me through this or point me to a tutorial that does simple page transitioning, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Simple Banner Help
          Tanya Heins-2I5OoU Level 3

I think you would have to pull your Flash Catalyst project into Flash Builder to setup a timer for the duration to "show" each state before transitioning to the next.

See this discussion on labs for the "timer" feature request in Flash Catalyst:

http://na5.brightidea.com/ct/ct_list.bix?tag=&c=DA4859AD-8934-4F93-983A-4219E2DD9275&tab=0 &status=&cat_id=0466D0F2-C50C-4D6A-8149-B96090171CC6&page=2&txtKeywords=&status_tab=

Not quite what you are looking for but here is a quick example that changes the state each time the user rolls over the banner.

http://numen.squarespace.com/storage/fc_examples/Banner.fxp

T

• 2. Re: Simple Banner Help
            Bear Travis Adobe Employee

This is something that should properly be done in Builder, but can be mocked up in Catalyst. You can check out this issue in the FAQ here.

-Bear

• 3. Re: Simple Banner Help
              Stan Difruscio Level 1

Tanya Heins wrote:

I think you would have to pull your Flash Catalyst project into Flash Builder to setup a timer for the duration to "show" each state before transitioning to the next.

See this discussion on labs for the "timer" feature request in Flash Catalyst:

http://na5.brightidea.com/ct/ct_list.bix?tag=&c=DA4859AD-8934-4F93-983A-4219E2DD 9275&tab=0&status=&cat_id=0466D0F2-C50C-4D6A-8149-B96090171CC6&page=2&txtKeyword s=&status_tab=

Not quite what you are looking for but here is a quick example that changes the state each time the user rolls over the banner.

http://numen.squarespace.com/storage/fc_examples/Banner.fxp

T

Thanks for the quick reply.

That discussion about the "timer" feature is a little disappointing as it's over 6 months old and this feature hasn't been implemented into a Flash Catalyst update. I wonder what exactly the "pending" status means on the posted idea and whether it's being worked on. Seems like a feature that should of been somewhat essential from the get go to implement, telling from the number of posts I've dug up on it now.

That example requires user interaction like you said, but thanks for posting it anyhow.

• 4. Re: Simple Banner Help
                Stan Difruscio Level 1

Bear Travis wrote:

This is something that should properly be done in Builder, but can be mocked up in Catalyst. You can check out this issue in the FAQ here.

-Bear

Thanks. The first part is a bummer since I have the "Design Premium" suite. Should of weighed my options a little closer on the "Web Premium" suite. Never thought I would need Flash Builder when Flash Catalyst looked so promising to hide me from the code. It's also a pain that you can't edit the code in Flash Catalyst in Code View. wowy.

The "dirty way of looping an Action Sequence" on that FAQ page you created seems like quite the hack route to go no offense. It's definitely hard to wrap your head around two separate work spaces now if you have to move half your photoshop file to create a separate video file and apply all the effects. Only to import it and then create all the interactions. It's definitely confusing to layout a project imo.

Flash Catalyst sure makes this hard.

• 5. Re: Simple Banner Help
                  Tanya Heins-2I5OoU Level 3

Interesting FAQ that Bear posted.  Here is an update to that banner file.  I tried out the Catalyst option using a 3 second flv movie asset to control the automatic transition to the next state.

• 6. Re: Simple Banner Help
                    karenaronov

Hey Stan,

I've been trying to do the same thing as you. I've also watched hours of tutorials in both Lynda.com and AbodeTv but I can't seem to find a solution. I also read other people's replies to your post but it seems no one has a solution that can help us using Flash Catalyst. Please let me know if you've figured out how to change from one stage to another without using any user interaction. I really hope this can be solved using Flash Catalyst.

Sincerely,

Karen Aronov

• 7. Re: Simple Banner Help
                      BecStar99999

Hi guys - this is how I created a work around that does not require you to have any specific length of animation figured out... Ie you can automatically transition to any other state after any time period. Also this approach does not require Flash Builder.

I created a video file 10px x 10px in size that lasted a few frames (so essentially when played it had no length of time to it). I imported it in on my artboard but off to the side so I wouldn't have to worry about making it transparent etc I turned off the video controls (although as it is off the side of the artwork you cannot see it anyway. I attached a "on play complete go to state". In my time line, I then placed a "Play Video" action on the frame where I wanted the transition to happen. So for example, if I wanted state 1 to stay for 100 frames before automatically advancing to state 2, I would put the "Play Video" action on frame 100.

You can then repeat this process, using the same small video clip for as many different state transitions as you need.

I hope this helps - I certaintly spent many hours pulling my hair out traying to figure out a way to make it work.