9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2010 8:18 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 transcoding error

eevans26

I'm having an issue burning my latest project to blu-ray.  At the 33% - 35% completion mark, PE7 fails and returns a "transcoding error - PE failed to return a video frame."   I've gone through my content multiple times, and the timeline is fluid and complete.  When I preview the movie on the title composition page, it plays without error.

Any suggestions on how to figure out which video file is corrupt? Does the completion percentage correlate with the length of the timeline? i.e. - if my movie is 12 minutes long, and my transcoding error is at 33%, should I be looking around the 4:00 minute mark?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: PE7 transcoding error
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These notes are from the Encore forum, so may not help... but may also give some ideas

Long File Names Cause Crashing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
          And #4 Here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558?tstart=0
          And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641?tstart=0

Encore Tutorial http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/05/encore-tutorial/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE7 transcoding error
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your comptuer?

Which project preset did you select when you started your project?

Is there anything about your set-up that could be contributing (i.e., are you working off a second or external hard drive)?

What is your operating system and what are your computer hardware specs?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE7 transcoding error
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Failure to "Return a Video Frame" is almost always due to a gap in the Video of your Timeline. These can happen due to many causes, and do present errors, usually with Transcode.

Zoom your Timeline's horizontal view to max, and step through it, looking for gaps. Even a one Frame gap, can cause the errors. If you cannot find it, then with the Timeline zoomed in, hit Home, then PageUp (ore PageDn from the End), to step through the Clips. The CTI should jump cleanly from Clip to Clip. If it seems to hiccup, or pause, before jumping, you have likely found your gap.

As PrE uses a 2-pass Transcode, both passes, or 200% = 100% on the little progress scale. Also, with Burning, there is a a bit more work, than just the Transcode, so the math is imprecise. However, 50% = one completed pass of the Timeline. A figure of 35% of the total Transcode should be about 70% of the Timeline's Duration. That would be the area that I would concentrate on, but remember, there are some other operations involved, so your numbers might only be a rough estimation. I wish that the progress bar listed the exact Frame count.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE7 transcoding error
                eevans26 Level 1

The camcorder is a Sony HRD-SR10 camcorder.  My computer has 90GB free on the hard drive, is a 3.2 GHz dual core processor with a blu-ray burner and 4GB RAM.  I have successfully burned 15 minute blu-ray movies via PE7 on this computer before.  As for presets, I cannot recall exactly, but they remain the same as the settings I used in my previous movie.

I went through every frame of the timeline, and it is without a single gap.  Here is the only thing I can speculate:  I have two sequences in my 12 minute movie where I scroll through high resolution still photos (10+ megapixel and over 4 MB per shot).  I have read in the forums that I should down-size these shots, as they can cause a transcoding error.  I will attempt this shortly (when I can find the time with my work schedule).  My only hesitation is that I have done the same still sequencing in the past with high-res photos, and it never caused a problem.

Thank you for your help.

-Evan

• 5. Re: PE7 transcoding error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Evan,

If you have Imported large still images, you are both sacrificing quality and are bogging down your system/Project unnecessarily. This ARTICLE will give you tips on Scaling your images in PS/PSE, prior to Import. Note: it was written with SD DV Projects in mind, so with an HD Project, the numbers will go up to accommodate the larger Frame Size in the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 transcoding error
                    eevans26 Level 1

Hunt -

Thank you for the tips.  I will try scaling down the photos and see where that gets me.

Evan

• 7. Re: PE7 transcoding error
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Evan,

I wish you good luck, and hope that that fixes things.

Especially with multiple stills, it is easy to get a tad too quick and leave a gap. Even at max Zoom, a 1-Frame gap can be very, very hard to spot, and that's why I do my PageUp/PageDn step through, looking for those little guys.

Also, if you edit with Snap ON, which is usually the way that I do it, then it is possible to "shear off" a Frame from some Clips. This ARTICLE, while talking about Orphans specifically, will point out what can happen, when butting up Clips. One might end up with Orphans within the Timeline, or little gaps, rather than Orphans out beyond the intended end of the Timeline. Just something to consider.

Much luck, and please report,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE7 transcoding error
                        eevans26 Level 1

Bill -

The problem ended up being the high-res. still photos.  I scaled down the photos from 4+ MB per shot to around 300 KB per photo, and that solved the problem.  Thanks again for your help.

Evan

• 9. Re: PE7 transcoding error
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Evan,

Great news. Glad that you got that sorted, and also that you reported what worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt