6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 5:25 AM by k21volley

selecting a pen tool path

k21volley

I created a path around an object using the pen tool, how can i move that object onto a different background? Sorry kind of new at this :/

• 1. Re: selecting a pen tool path
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lowercase V will select the move tool (same as the top arrow in the tool bar on the left side of screen) This tool move the entire object.

Lowercase A will select the direct selection tool (same as the second arrow in the tool bar on the left side of screen) This tool will select and move one or more points of the path.

The move tool is black and the direct selection tool is white.

Not too sure what you mean by a different background. It is possible to create a new layer and place it below the other layers and put your backgound on it. Your path would then be on the new background.

Keep in mind that just because the background is white by default, does not mean the background is opaque. It is actually transparent. It looks white to make it easier to design.

• 2. Re: selecting a pen tool path
            k21volley Level 1

well basically what im trying to do is to cut out a person from a picture and then put just the person onto a map background, for lack of better terminology

• 3. Re: selecting a pen tool path
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, now your mentioning picture. To me that is like one from your camera. Thats called a pixel image or sometimes called a bitmap. Illustrator creates vector images. Vectors are points which are connected with an edge or segment. The distance between the two points are calculated mathmatically.

A pixel image is made up of well pixels. Each pixel can have its own value that determines its color.

When editing a pixel image is best to use an image editor such as photoshop as it has the tools needed to handle pixels.

The tools in Illustrator are meant to handle vector shapes and paths. However over the years both illustrator and photoshop have gained tools that kind of blur the distinction of what they do. In that sense, it is possible to crop, and drop shadows, even mask out an unwanted section of the photo. But its ability to mask an area, copy it and paste it into a new document is well very limited and is usually reserved for those that have no other way to accomplish this task. So, I am not going to say that it can not be done, but that there are easier ways to do it. Which included using the correct software.

• 4. Re: selecting a pen tool path
                k21volley Level 1

ok well thank you for explaining it. And i have also tried this from photoshop, but when i bring the cut out image from photoshop to illustrator, it has a white box around it, is there anyway to eliminate this?

• 5. Re: selecting a pen tool path
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The best way of doing this in photoshop is to first make the background layer in photoshop into a real layer or a transparent layer sas it is sometimes called.

You do this by clicking on the name of the background layer in Photoshop and then give it a name or leave the default name when the layer options dialog shows up.

Then erase the or remove the bckground of the image in PS

then save it as a .psd do not flatten it.

then place that .psd document into your ai document and the transparent background will be honored by AI.

• 6. Re: selecting a pen tool path
                    k21volley Level 1

thanks so much this was EXACTLY what i needed