11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 10:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs

tkripala

While editing in Timeline mode, the program hangs and I am unable to recover. The actual editing action I'm working is adding a title screen to the second video track and then I attempt to add another clip into Video Track 1. The preview playback screen turns white and the cursor turns into the Windows 7 wiaitng circle cursor. The program never returns to a usable state and after some time, Windows 7 prompts me to either terminate the program or continue to wait. This has been happening with both Background Rendering on and off. This has been happening everytime I use the application.

My system is a Core i5 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 4GB memory and a separate 1.5TB drive that I assigned for use strictly for Premiere Elements. My graphics card is an ATI HD5750 and I have the latest ATI drivers (Catalyst 10.6) and Quicktime 7.6.6. All of my clips I'm working with are DV format captured from a camcorder. Clips playback fine in WMP, Quicktime and VLC.

Any tips or suggestions? Anyone experienced something similar and figured out a solution?

Thanks!

TK

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you be more specific about the camcorder the video came from?Many camcorders are "DV" -- but that doesn't mean that they produce DV-AVIs. And is your project set up for the DV format? The test is, when you place your clips on the timeline, is there a red line on the timeline above them? If so,  you do not have a good match between your source video and your project settings, and that could be contributing to your instability.

What camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

Meantime, make sure you've got even the non-critical Windows Updates (go to Windows Update manually).

Also, make sure your external drive is formatted for NTFS rather than FAT32 and that your project file and your supporting video are in a folder on that drive and not in the main drive directory.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the questions that Steve poses, can you give us the full details of your system's I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free space on each, controller type, and how you have them allocated. It appears that one of your HDD's is external. Is that correct? What is its controller type, USB 2.0, perhaps?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
              tkripala Level 1

I'm using a Canon HV20. I'm not sure exactly how I captured the video via IEEE1394 (I think I tried several different apps including Premiere Elements but it was around 6 months back and I can't remember which one was successful). All of the scenes were from the same tape but I saved them into separate AVI files when I captured. I was able to use Premiere Elements to quickly create a test project using all of the captured scenes before on the same system without any transitions or effects and exported the project into a Flash video. (I'm now starting to be a little more creative and add some transitions and titles to the same clips). I don't have access to the raw clips right now but I'll check and post the AVI file specs later as well as the project settings.

My system is up to date with all of the latest Windows update. My drive is an internal 1.5TB SATA (formatted as NTFS) and I have configured Premiere Elements to only use this drive for all project, temporary, scratch, source and output files.

Thanks!

TK

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
                tkripala Level 1

My system is an Intel P55 (DP55WG) with a Core i5-750. The system drive (C:) is a 1TB SATA with 70% free space. The data drive (E:) I use with Premiere Elements is a 1.5TB SATA with 1.2TB free. Both drives are connected to the internal SATA controllers. the motherboard drivers are all up to date.

Thanks!

Tarun

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tarun,

Thank you for the I/O info. I see nothing wrong there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs

The HV series can capture as either hi-def HDV or, by using the DV Lock switch, as standard-def DV-AVIs.

Are you saying you captured it with the DV Lock on as standard def DV-AVIs?

If you captured hi-def HDV as AVIs and used it in a DV project, that could be trouble.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
                      tkripala Level 1

Hey Steve! The tape was recorded with SD video and I did set the output of the camcorder to output DV instead of HDV (since the original content was recorded in DV).

Thanks!

Tarun

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs

Hmm. In that case, I concur with Hunt. I just don't see anything that could possibly cause the problems you're describing. You're using the most efficient video format in a system with lots more power than is required and a fully updated operating system.

Unless there's something you're leaving out of this equation, there's no reason you should not be having perfect results.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Just as a comment, your ATI Catalyst 10.6 is the one recommended by the hardware guru, Harm Millaard, who uses all ATI cards.

Nothing wrong there.

Right now, I am puzzling over what is causing your issue.

Cannot recall if I posted this ARTICLE up-thread, but it might give some tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session. With Win7, be sure to see the link to Black Viper's page (down-thread).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
                            tkripala Level 1

I think I have isolated the cause of my problem to my hard drive itself. I'm not a 100% sure of it but I think that Premiere Elements was trying to do some disk I/O and the I/O activity would hang. I had been hearing some periodic clicking sounds coming from my drives and on an off chance I decided to isolate the drive that was generating the clicking sound and it turned out to be the drive I'm using for Elements. This is a Seagate drive so I ran all of their diagnostics tests (all tests passed) and it must have done something to the drive because the clicking sounds have stopped and Premiere Elements no longer hangs.

I did a quick google of the drive (ST31500541AS) and found that a lot of people have experienced the same problem though running diagnostics did not clear it up for everyone. Nearly everyone experienced a premature drive failure and I think mine is headed down that path as well. Running the diagnostics has bought me some time and I plan to swap it out from a different manufacturer.

I'm hoping that this indeed was the cause of my problem and I will post an update if otherwise.

Thanks for the help!

TK

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0.1 hangs
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As video editing is highly I/O sub-system intensive, it can point up weaknesses in a hurry.

A clicking HDD is not a good thing to hear. I would get a replacement HDD, and plan on replacing that one soon.

Good luck, and while a failing HDD is not a good thing, if that is the cause, a replacement should solve your issues.

Hunt