9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2010 10:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio

jo_dfilm

Sorry out there, but I do need some help!

Premiere CS5 wont import the audio of AVCHD clips (1920x1080 50i) shot with a Panasonic AG-HMC151E.

Is it possible I miss an AC3 codec? Thanx

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
          dradeke Adobe Employee

No, it's not AC3.  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSd79b3ca3b623cac97fa024001235833a568-800 0.html

Are you able to hear the audio on the camera?

are you able to see the waveform in Premiere Pro?

Are you able to play other AVCHD clips with audio from the camera?

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
            jo_dfilm Level 1

hi Dennis

yes, I hear the audio on the camera

no waveform on premiere, but the clip, both audio and video, plays fine in Edius 5.0 and in Windows Media Player

I can play other AVCHD clips in Premiere

it's not AC3, you're right!

what can it be?

thanx for your help!

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
              CoastGhost

I will be following this one ... same problem.  Details - AVCHD MXP from a Cannon HF200 - plays fine with audio on several programs including Windows Media Player.  On other editors - even Windows Movie Maker, the sound is there and I can see the wave form.  I transferred the original files from the SD card directly to hard drive and imported the clips from there.  The icon in the clip store of CS5 has only the film icon and not the speaker icon.  And it does not show the wave form or anything else in the timeline audio track.  Other files, such as WMA files imported in the same way, show both icons in the clip store, shows the wave form in the timeline and plays audio.  Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
                CoastGhost Level 1

OK - Here's the problem apparently   http://forums.adobe.com/message/2896245#2896245

The trial version does not support MP3 (remember that 3rd party caveat?)

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

CoastGhost,

Do you have the trial? If so, you have zero MPEG support, and that includes AC3 Audio, with is common with ACVHD material. Many cameras also produce DD 5.1 SS AC3 Audio, and that is muxed in the AVCHD files. Those can be problematic, even with the full-paid version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
                    CoastGhost Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I found that info in another forum post on the site just a few minutes ago.

For the time being, I will convert to WMV HD - using a freeware program

recomended by PC Mag called Free HD Converter - works real well to almost

any format.  seems to work, although slightly lower resolution.  At least I

can see what CS5 will do for me.  I already like it.  My camera does Dolby

Digital 2 Ch according to the manual.  Do you know if CS5 has any problems

with that?  Probably not an issue for me really as I record my audio

separately at 24 bit and 96 K, usually multitrack/mixed down in post. But I

use the cam audio trax to wild sync my files.

Jim

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If the AC3 is fully Dolby-compliant, the full-paid version of PrPro will have not issue with it. I would assume that your camera WILL produce fully Dolby-compliant AC3's.

One of the issues with some AVCHD cameras is that they allow the user to record as DD 5.1 SS (6-channel), and PrPro will Import those into a 5.1 Audio Track. The rub comes with the Export from PrPro. It requires the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in (costs extra), to Export as DD 5.1 SS, but PrPro will do a mix-down to 2-channel just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if one DOES go for the SurCode plug-in, be sure to buy it from within PrPro, as they will get an Adobe discount below the price from the Minnetonka Audio site. It's only about US$50, but that counts.

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
                        jo_dfilm Level 1

hi

I found out the clips they gave me  were somehow corrupted ... at least for Premiere CS5.

I tried the  next day with other clips, always from the same camera, and transferred  them directly from the SD card to my hard disk and it all played just  fine!

Audio is Dolby Digital (AC-3).

I also updated my card  audio drivers, since I passed from Win XP to Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Next  thing to get AVCHD going is a new graphic card

By the way, I have a full version of  Production Premium CS5 (no trial problems).

Wish  you a nice day.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS5 doesn't import AVCHD audio
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you have the Audio in the "good" Clips.

Good luck with the Video,

Hunt