7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 3:09 PM by chefcarlos

An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML

Stefy Teneva Level 1

Hello!

I got that error message while I am using flex in a week tutorials and have problems with downloaded files exercise tutorials. The error said : "An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML document. Switch to sorse mode to correct it" It is on design mode view error and not able to do anything else with it onwards

Can somebody help with this problem I wrote that it could have any problem in case there any witespaces in first three lines of code and tried to do so but no result

Thanks

• 1. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
          e2dev Level 2

What version of Flash Builder are you using? Also, is this happening to you when you import a project or after you've made changes? Please share exact steps for what you are doing so we can help debug. Thanks!

• 2. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
            Stefy Teneva Level 1

Hello again

I\ve already fixed the problem.

According course I follow in Flex in a week I can put directory with exams for the day anywhere on the disk space and have only to change workspace from FB4 to my directory. It worked for some time then it start showing me this error and since I remove project and start it when I create first new project in a directory when I put lessons from lerning site in Flash Builder 4 then problem disappear although there is .matadata directory in lessons Somehow FB4 do not count correct or something else I am not sure what is the problem in real but since I did this it strated work for me ok again.

I hope this could help for somebody that will have same problem and solve it easily since to me took me more time to read and fix it.

Thanks a lot

• 3. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
              Stefy Teneva Level 1

Hi again

As I mentioned the first error disappear but now I am not able to compile the project it compiles but give me nothing only background color and that is it.

Steps i am doing while I put ready lessons for training:

1. Downloading the file for instance about day1
              2. Extract the directory somewhere in the disk
              3. Change workspace to that directory
              So according these three steps projects should work correct but it does not happen and got that error I explained in my first post

Can somebody help.
              I have doubt but not sure that this error started when I download last updated for FB4

Can somebody help me. Thanks

• 4. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
                Flex in a Week, FiaW Level 1

Hi Stefy,

We can help you.  Please send a message to this email:  fiaw@trilemetry.com and we'll set up a time for Monday or Tuesday.

• 5. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
                  cheftmo

I swear, if you are into bugs, Flex is better than The Nature Channel.

I had not worked on my Flash Builder projects for a week or two. Today when I opened a project, I experienced this “unknown item” issue. What is strange is that it happens on some of the projects, not all – some of them use SDK 3.5, others SDK 4.1. The problem is happening regardless of which SDK is in use, i.e. some SDK 3.5 projects exhibit the problem, but not all of them; same thing with the SDK 4.1s.

I noticed this has been going on for a couple of years, but it seems nobody has come up with a solution.

This just started today out of nowhere. Does anybody know what is going on here? I would appreciate any ideas.

Peace,

Carlos

• 6. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
                    Flex in a Week, FiaW Level 1

Hi Carlos,

What version of Flash Builder are you using?

Also in order for us to help; you will need to write out the exact steps & paste the errors you are experiencing.

• 7. Re: An unknown item is declared as the root of your MXML
                      chefcarlos

Hello, FiaW:

When I saw that this thread is 10 months old and this question has been asked all over the web for the last couple of years and I never saw any real answers, I re-installed my FB 4 and everything is back to normal.

But thank you for your reply.

Carlos