14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2010 9:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I have been using PE3 for a long time.

I just got a new computer running Windows 7 64 bit.

I thought that PE3 was working great until I got ready to write my production to DVD.

When I get to that point I get the "No DVD drive detected" message.

I have two DVD writers in my computer both are working normally.

I put a blank DVD in each of them but no matter what I do PE3 doesn't see them.

When I click on the drop down it is blank.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get Elements to see my drives?

If this fails, can I write the project to a folder (that seems to work OK) and then just copy the project to a DVD from there?

Any help welcome

Mike

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
          Nohjekim Level 1

Also...

I was going to update to a later version but the reviews of Elements 8 are so bad I'm reluctant to make the leap.

It seems like many people are finding it unusable on their computers.

Is there a trial download that I could try before spending my money?

Mike

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Many considerations in your present situation, but for now I will leave you with a link to the free 30 day Premiere Elements 8.0 tryout from Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=en_us

Top of the list for getting started on the right foot with version 8.0

a. Download and install the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch)

b. Turn of the Background Rendering (that should be done automatically by the installation of the 8.0.1 Update) but check anyway...Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

c. Turn of the AutoAnalyzer Feature (See Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options)

There are users out there successfully using Premiere Elements 8.0.1.

I do not work for Adobe nor have any affliation with them. I will take another look at your Premiere Elements 3.0.2 issue and see if I can come up with any worthwhile suggestions.

ATR

Add On....If you can burn to folder successfully, take just the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder and burn that to a DVD disc using a program such as Nero (Burn Video Files category, not Make Data Disc) or the free program IMGBurn (strange program but effective for the purpose) using the Write files/folders to disc category. In either case, the VIDEO_TS will be burn to the DVD disc with the right file system for DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

For the issues with the burners, this ARTICLE will give you some tips. Depending on what the actual issue is, a newer version of PrE might, or might not, solve those issues. That article goes into a bit of detail on some of the things that can get in the way. If those exist on the computer, with the newer version, you will most likely suffer the same fate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the info, I'll check all this stuff out.

I have both Nero and Imageburn so I can go that rout if I have to.

Mike

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                  Nohjekim Level 1

Hi again

I downloaded and installed PE8, applied the patch before I opened it and then opened the project that I had done in PE3.

No problems, it opened, and after making a few changes I tried to write it to DVD.

It saw both of my DVD drives and in about 20 minutes wrote the one hour video to disk.

If it didn't have a big banner across the center of it, I'd be done! LOL

Anyway so far so good, I don't have to get this done right away so I'm going to mess around with it for a week or so and see if I can do a complete film in it.

If it works I'll buy the DVD and register it, no more banner!

Thanks for the help

Mike

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

By any chance does your new Windows 7 64 bit computer come with a Windows XP compatibility mode? If so, have you tried running your Premiere Elements 3.0.2 in it?

Just some miscellaneous...about your 2 burners, have you checked their status in Hardware/Device Manager/DVD CD ROM? Are the drivers and firmware updated for these drives in your new system? If they are listed as working, have you disabled one at a time, to see if one would work without the other present?

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

You have probably already seen this FAQ Entry on removing the watermark, but if not, it will prove useful, when time comes to address that Project, once you have the full-paid version.

For Burning your Project, here are some tips that might also prove useful:

For testing, I use two separate processes: first, I will Burn to Folder and test the Project in a DVD software program, like CyberLink PowerDVD, or the freeware, MediaPlayer Classic HC. If all is good, then I will use a program, like the free ImgBurn, to do the physical burn to disc. Here, I first use RW media, and test that in many different make and models of player, plus at least 2 computer multi-drives, with the same DVD software players.

When those tests indicate that all is good, I will then do the burn to either a Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank (not to an RW disc - those are ONLY for testing), and use less than the max. burn speed.

That is a lot of testing, but I often have to deliver up to 10 copies of a Project, and I also want to insure that I will have zero returned discs. So far, so good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I did try running PE3 in Windows XP compatibility mode and my DVD drives are both working fine outside of PE3.

As I said PE8 didn't have any problem seeing them.

I put together a couple of quick slide presentations with sound and everything worked fine so I'm going to put together a short film from scratch and write it to disk.

If it all goes smoothly I'll spring for PE8, it was time for an update anyway, I've used PE3 for years.

Thanks again for the help!

I'll probably be back with some specific questions about the program once I get into it.

Mike

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I'll probably be back with some specific questions about the program once I get into it.

Mike,

Do not hesitate, as there are some folk here, who know PrE 8 very well, and would love to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the follow up information.

I do not want to mess up your plans, but... Are you aware that annually September/October typically a new version of Premiere Elements is released. The details of the new release are kept secret by Adobe until the release day.

I know that you are happy about finally being able to burn to disc with a version of Premiere Elements, but are you OK with buying Premiere Elements 8.0 now when a new version will be released in a few months?

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I tried everything I could think of and it all worked fine.

Much faster then PE3 on my computer.

I ordered the program from Amazon for $85 and I got a form for a $20 rebate so it's only going to cost me $65.

I get free 2 day shipping from Amazon so that's it.

Can't wait to get rid of the banner across the screen.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. It is good that you are moving forward in your projects. Continued success.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                                  Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Got my disk, put in the registration number and I'm up and running with no banner across the screen.

Still having a little trouble finding some to the stuff but I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks again for the help

Mike

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 3 doesn't see my DVD drives?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Sounds good.

There are more similarities between Premiere Elements 4.0, 7.0, and 8.0 than there is between version 3.0 and the later versions.

But, if you cannot find the feature that you are looking for, please do not hesitate to ask. We will all be here to help.

ATR