13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 12:48 PM by fishmor

sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing

fishmor

I have a project that is about 30 minutes in length, 2 soundtracks at times and probably 15 transitions/titles.  They looked OK during playback but some didn't turn out so good on the DVD burn - it was like the transition caught some frames and "got stuck" on them - or it flashed at the end - also some of the soundtracks that came with PRE wouldn't play at different points during playback, so I deleted them and put them back in and they seemed to work.  I got a good burn so I saved it as a "share" but then had problems with this burn afterwards with some of the transitions and also with some of the sound tracks.  Any suggestions?  Eric

• 1. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With the info provided, this is just a guess, but...

some didn't turn out so good on the DVD burn - it was like the transition caught some frames and "got stuck" on them - or it flashed at the end

This sounds like a lack of Handles. If so, then you probably just did not notice the issue in playback. These will give you some background on Handles, and explain their importance:

Handles_01.jpgHandles_02.jpg

What happens with a lack of Handles is that Frames that you thought you'd cut out, are needed and used, or one gets a "flash."

As for the Audio, can you tell us all about the Assets used, and also how you have them setup on your Timeline?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
            fishmor Level 1

Thanks Hunt - As far as the audio goes I dropped in a few of PRE's preloaded tracks (need for speed, cold metal smack down)  in several different places and have the audio from the capture as well in most places - when the "need for speed" doesn't play in the timeline, it also will not play when I double click on it from the organizer window - wierd - of course it's my favorite soundtrack so far

Eric

• 3. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
              fishmor Level 1

The info on handles makes sense, but I never got a warning message from PRE about lack of handles-  I also have not done ANYTHING with organizer yet and am wondering if not "organizing" is clogging up my workflow -

• 4. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're interested in learning about these types of things -- and lots more you probably haven't anticipated -- you might want to check you my books, based on my nearly six years of hosting this forum, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix.com store.

http://Muvipix.com also includes hundreds of tips, tutorials, DVD templates, motion backgrounds and licensed music clips that we've assembled to help get people up and running with the program. Much of it is free, and even more is available for a small annual subscription.

At the very least, be sure to check out my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorial series!

• 5. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Where the warning will come in is when you have a Clip that ends, before the adequate Handles. If you had individual Clips, where the In, or Out Points were at the physical end of the Clip, PrE will warn you, to the effect, "Frames will have to be repeated," and what you will end up with is basically a Freeze Frame at the beginning, or the end of that Clip. When you have a larger Clip, and have set the In, or Out Points too close to where a scene change occurs in the Clip, PrE just uses the required number of Frames from that other scene, to have adequate Handles. When this happens, one ends up with a few Frames showing in the Transition, that they thought they had cut out. Since PrE is a non-destructive editor, it does not make any changes to the original footage, but only makes notes about how much of it to use, when one does an Export/Share. All of the original Frames are still available, and will be called upon, if needed.

The solution is to move the In & Out Points a bit, to allow adequate Handles for Transitions, or to use a Butt-Cut, instead. This is why a videographer should start recording a moment before any significant action, and should continue recording for a moment after the significant action has concluded - to proved Handles on both ends, or one will have to choose In & Out Points into the significant action, or will have to Butt-Cut.

The concept of Handles was easy to grasp with film, as one had to have the Frames to include in the "overlap," when they added a Transition and sent the work footage to the lab to print, with the Transition. Same thing, when one did A - B Roll editing - they overlapped the Clip on Video Track B over the Clip on Video Track A. That is what is shown in my second image. When digital editing programs added single Track editing, it was no longer so obvious, and people began struggling to understand the concept of Handles. However, once one has that understanding, they will have it for life. It will also influence how they shoot - starting the camera earlier, and leaving it going for a moment afterwards. That is the way that Hollywood has always done it. If you were on a set, you would usually hear the director say something like this, "a-n-d_____Cut!" That lead-in to "Cut," is to allow a little film to run, after the Action. Same at the beginning of the scene. The Audio crew calls "speed," when the tape deck is up to speed, then the camera operator calls "speed," and then the director calls "action!." The audio recorder and camera have already recorded excess footage before the action is called. Even with digital (no film), the same thing happens, but some of the terms have probably changed. Still, video has been recored before the call, "action!"

Hope that this helps - just move your In & Out Points to accommodate the chosen Transition Duration, and all will be fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If those were PrE Library Audio Assets, I have no idea what the issue is.

If you placed those onto the Soundtrack (the obvious Track to use), I would move them to another, unused Audio Track, say Audio Track 2 (even if you have no Video on Video Track 2), and test. Some users have found issues with the two fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration, and just moving the Audio Clips elsewhere has cleared that up for them.

If these are PrE Library Assets (Sample Files), I would assume that they are PCM/WAV. Is that correct? The reason that I ask is because PrE has issues with MP3's, which are popular, as they are highly-compressed and small. I would suspect that Adobe would not use those, unless they had been well-tested, and should work.

Just thinking here, but good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                      fishmor Level 1

Thanks guys, wow I have SO much to learn but having fun.  Actually that sound file is an mp3 that came with PRE (need for speed) but I will try moving it around and do the other things you guys suggested -

I would really like to go to a workshop on PRE since I come from the GIS world and video work is fairly new to me - do they ever have any?  Just for fun, I put a fireworks video I did for our local newspaper on youtube - this time the presets seemed to work pretty good in PRE for uploading to youtube - I shot this with a canon xha1s - if you have time, could you look at it and tell if you think the quality is good? (considering I'm shooting with a pretty high end camera)  My account on youtube is MrFishmor - thanks!

Eric

• 8. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

It DOES sound like you are having fun, and should be part of it.

I am surprised that Adobe is shipping MP3's, but guess that the file size lured them. If they came from them, it should work.

Do you have a URL for your YouTube video? You can link to that with the little A with the chain beside it, in the toolbar of the editing screen.

Good luck, and I' love to see the video.

Hunt

• 11. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Great fun, Mr. Fishmor! And you did a terrific job of shooting pictures of those fireworks!

• 12. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Very nice, and thank you for posting.

We missed the fireworks this year, as most of AZ was so tinder dry, that all of the local shows were canceled. We had a new puppy, who had never encountered fireworks, so did not even bother with the shows that did go on. In past years, we usually have 3 - 4 shows, within a few miles and below us in one of the nearby valleys. We'd normally just go to the upper deck, and watch in almost any direction, but not this year. Luckily, the neighbors were pretty respectful of the weather conditions, so the pup did not have too much to be concerned with.

Your video gave me my "dose" of July 4 fireworks, so I am doubly thankful.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 13. Re: sticky transitions in final project burn / sound files sometimes not playing
                              fishmor Level 1

Glad I could help YOU with something - Eric