4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 11:02 PM by vh2

UI freezing

vh2 Level 1

I am having a lot of problems with  my UI freezing in AE CS5.  The projects are generally very small, and  it seems to happen randomly.  Sometimes I will merely click on a  particular window and that particular window will "white out" and I get  the little Windows spinning circle.  Then when I click on another  window, it also whites out.  Sometimes this has happened when I tried to  render something.  Sometimes it happens when I try to save a project.   There seems to be no pattern.  I work with a variety of media, including  SD, HD and image sequences (.png).

When the UI freezes, it never  unfreezes.  I have to shut down the program and open it again.

Thanks for  any help.

WINDOWS 7  PROFESSIONAL 64-BIT

16 GB RAM (11 GB MADE AVAILABLE FOR AE)

DELL  PRECISION T7400 WORKSTATION

DUAL QUAD CORE

NVIDIA GEFORCE  GTX 285 (NEWEST DRIVERS)

LOTS OF HARD DRIVE SPACE

OPENGL  TURNED OFF IN PREFERENCES

ENABLE DISK CACHE TURNED OFF

• 1. Re: UI freezing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is Render Multiple Frames Simultanously enabled? What footages do you use? where are they stored? is your system drive an SSD? are there any other background tasks running? Please provide more info and possibly have a look at your system event viewer and task manager first.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: UI freezing
            vh2 Level 1

Hey, thanks for offering to help.

--Is Render Multiple Frames Simultanously enabled?  NO

--What footages do you use?   QT, AVI, .PNG SEQUENCES, MOSTLY 720X480, BUT SOME HD.

--where are they stored?  ON VARIOUS SATA HARD DRIVES, BUT NOT ON THE SAME DRIVE AS THE AE.EXE IS.

--is your system drive an SSD?   NO, IT IS A SATA HDD DRIVE

--are there any other background tasks running?  A FEW THINGS, MAINLY MY ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM (BIT DEFENDER), PLUS ADOBE CS5 SERVICE MANAGER, SOMETHING CALLED CTXFIHLP, AND SOMETHING CALLED SBSV 2010/02/19-11:02:07 (ADOBE).  THESE ARE THE ONLY THINGS RUNNING AT STARTUP.  BUT I OFTEN HAVE PHOTOSHOP OR PREMIERE OR FIREWORKS OPEN AS WELL.  AND SOMETIMES A BROWSER (FIREFOX) IS OPEN AS WELL.

• 3. Re: UI freezing
              vh2 Level 1

just sayin...

• 4. Re: UI freezing
                vh2 Level 1

anybody?...