4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 5:11 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE7 and Sony HDR-XR520 help

4myruby

I apologize up front if this issue has already been discussed but I cannot seem to find a solution.  I have a little very amatuer editing experience with a different program and different camera, but am very green when it comes to editing and knowing what to do or options available.  As noted, this is what I have:

Premiere Elements 7

Sony HDR-XR520

Issue: When I attempt to add movie clips to the sceneline they group together and I cannot ungroup them.  Also, when I play back the clip on the computer in PE7, the audio sounds fine but the video is choppy.  The closest explanation I can find is that this has something to do with the surround sound or that the video was shot with the 5.1 audio.  The camera has the 2ch audio option but we did not realize this would be a problem until we went to edit.

So, I guess my main question is, can video shot with this camera be edited using a computer software like PE7 and avoiding the above problems?  If so,which software and how?  If it has to do with the fact that this footage is shot in 5.1, is there a way to output it in 2ch though it was shot in 5.1?  Can I record the footage from the camera to DVD using the computer?  Do I need a different program?  I am not sure what else to ask or info to give; I am stuck at this point.  Maybe someone has some suggestions..

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: PE7 and Sony HDR-XR520 help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your camcorder is an AVCHD camcorder. You add the video to your project by using Premiere Elements Get Media, from AVCHD

and downloading it over a USB connection to your computer.

It's very important that you make sure that your project us using the correct project settings for your camcorder! These settings can only be made when you first open your project. If you are shooting in 5.1 audio, you must select the AVCHD preset for 5.1 audio or you'll get the strange behavior you're describing.

According to the specs I've found, your cam shoots in 1920x1080. Make sure you choose this preset and not the 1440x1080 preset.

I've created a free 8-part tutorial series for videomaker support site Muvipix.com called Basic Training for Premiere Elements. It's a great introduction to the program for a newby. Part 1 should be particularly interesting to you, since it describes how to select the right project preset for  your camcorder.

While you're there, check out the extremely knowledgeable and helpful Community forum as well as the over 1000 tips, tutorials, motion backgrounds, DVD menu templates and licensed music clips -- many of which are free and even more of which are available for a small annual subscription.

• 2. Re: PE7 and Sony HDR-XR520 help
            4myruby Level 1

Steve:

Thank you for your help!  Finally I am able to add clips to the sceneline without them stacking (yay!!!).  However, when I play the clips the video is still 'choppy' but the audio is fine.  Any other suggestions?

I have visited Muvipix.com; I need to look closer into one of your books, but I want to be sure first that my camera and this program are compatible.

Thanks!
            Tammy

• 3. Re: PE7 and Sony HDR-XR520 help
              CruelRhetoric Level 1

I have never had PE 7, but if 8 is anything close to its predecessor you may want to make sure your drivers are up to date for your graphics card.  That worked for me in PE 8 when I was experiencing the same thing you are.  Good luck with that.

• 4. Re: PE7 and Sony HDR-XR520 help
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I note in my books, the biggest challenge with editing AVCHD is that it takes a very fast computer to work with it! We usually recommend a quad core processor and 4 gigs of RAM at least.

That said, watch for red lines above your video clips on your timeline. These indicate the need to render your timeline. (Press Enter and the computer will render the timeline and the red lines will turn green.) Rendering your timeline should improve your performance considerably.

However, if after rendering you're still seeing choppy playback, it could be that your computer isn't powerful enough to work with this type of video.