7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 1:10 AM by David_Forden

Previews not automatically saving in EPS files

David_Forden

Hi

Just got Illustrator CS5 yesterday and immediately noticed that when saving a new EPS file it doesn't automatically include a preview, you have to choose it. In all past versions i have used this defaulted to 8-bit tiff with transparency.

This would be fine if you did it once and it remembered this for next time but it doesn't. So every time I save an EPS file i have to make this choice. I know it isn't much but if I forget to do it I have to go back and resave the file which is annoying.

Is there a way of making this choice permanent?

thanks

David

• 1. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
          David_Forden Level 1

So no one has a clue then?

Adobe certainly dont, this was their reply from technical support...

Hello David,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I apologise for the late reply.

David, I have searched a lot on the issue, also recreated the issue on

my end. So, I found that it a normal behavior of the software. It

depends not only on the software, but also on the system. Also, there

are a lot of factors.

Thank you for choosing Adobe.

Regards,

Nargis

Adobe Technical Support

Also there are a lot of factors, like, I don't care.

HOW IS THIS HELPFUL?

SOMEBODY PLEASE REPLY TO THIS PROBLEM!!!

• 2. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

TIF (8-bit Color) preview with transparency is default on my station (15.0.0 on Mac OSX 10.5.8), but it will also not remember different settings for newly created files.

That is naturally no help to you, but it seems to indicate that your setting is not actually ubiquitous.

Do you create the files anew completely?

And could you not avoid the matter altogether by just using ai-files?

• 3. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
              David_Forden Level 1

Hi, thanks for replying.

You aren't the first person to say this, AI files use the whole artboard as the image size so its like replacing one issue with another.

Its a completely random problem, it happens when creating a whole new EPS file and when saving out a new version of an existing EPS that already has the 8 bit tiff preview attached. Whats worse is, it doesn't always happen, I can't say that the next time I save a file so I can't replicate the problem myself.

its definitely NOT a problem with my system either, the same thing happens with my 2 colleagues macs in here.

As much as I'd like to I don't want to switch to indesign, I've tried a few times and it just doesn't sit right with me, it lets you get away with things that in 15 years I would never do because it would cause issues at the print stage, it makes me uncomfortable when I get files in from other agencies and they're just a mess with all random formats just forced into a document, its lazy.

Anyway, back to topic Adobe's TS reply is frankly laughable and unacceptable, I was hoping I'd get some support form them considering how much we pay for the software in the first place.

thanks again

David

• 4. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                Adobe's TS reply is frankly laughable and unacceptable

I’m more of a regular at the Photoshop Mac-Forum than here, but there people have also complained about support, so I guess you are very much not alone in that perception.

files in from other agencies and they're just a mess with all random formats just forced into a document, its lazy.
                I don’t know, what kind of work you do, but for page-layout I have to object (at least slightly); combining different formats in one file is not in and of itself a sign of laziness but may well be the most efficient way of organizing a layout.
                And with multi-page documents Illustrator may have caught up considerably, but Indesign still offers some advantages in my opinion.
                • 5. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
                  David_Forden Level 1

Sorry I confused the issue there when i went off topic, Im using quark for page layout, when I get a document through from agencies in indesign format they're usually full of ais, psds, jpegs and EVEN PNGS!

• 6. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Oh, when pngs are used I understand you get to wonder about the people 

who deliver that stuff.

• 7. Re: Previews not automatically saving in EPS files
                      David_Forden Level 1

Well this has now gotten to a new level of pathetic.

Hello David, Thank you for your reply. David, I would like to inform you that I have re-confirmed it.

It is not an issue with the product.

Regards, Nargis Adobe Technical Support

I've got to speak to a manager about this, how can it NOT be a product issue, its happening on 3 machines exactly the same and just as random.