2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2007 8:40 PM by Newsgroup_User

Font Error

sarah louise water
      Hi

Can anyone please help.

My movie has an error message when opening in author mode. - The movie uses fonts that are not available on this system. Direstor will use a default font to display the folowing. Arial *

My movie is a Windows only movie - and I mainly use the Comis Sans font. I have a couple of unseen fields for variables that may be set at Arial.

Could you please tell me how to fix this problem.

Many Thanks
        • 1. Re: Font Error
          Level 7
          The easy way would be to embed the Arial font into your movie, with the
          name Arial * and that would just about do it.

In order to actually fix it so that there are no members that use the
          Arial * font, you need to go through them all and set them to something
          else. I know there are a few scripts that you can get from mediamacros
          that will go through all the text and field members and other
          text-bearing members and tell you which ones use which font.

http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-1006687631/

http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-1006687632/
          • 2. Re: Font Error
            Level 7
            sarah louise water wrote:

> My movie has an error message when opening in author mode. - The movie uses
            > fonts that are not available on this system. Direstor will use a default font
            > to display the folowing. Arial *
            >
            > My movie is a Windows only movie - and I mainly use the Comis Sans font. I
            > have a couple of unseen fields for variables that may be set at Arial.

Hi Sarah,

I'll elaborate on what Mike said.

Often when creating Director movies with text with special formatting, you'd
            embed the font into the cast. So, if you're using Cosmis Sans font, you'd go to:
            Insert > Media Element > Font
            then choose the font name and press OK.

When you do this, a copy of the font is created and becomes part of your internal
            cast. The default name of this copied font is the same as the original font plus
            an *. With an internal font, you can take your movie from one computer to another
            and still have that font available for text formatting. If you don't have the
            font embedded, then if you go to a computer without that font, you'd get the
            message saying the font is missing and the text won't display properly.

For a font like Arial, it is not really needed to embed the font as it is such a
            standard font on Windows. Perhaps if you want to ensure it works as best as
            possible from Windows to Mac, maybe you would embed it.

When you embed the font and create the internal copy with the *, you need to make
            sure all your text is formatted to FontName * (internal one) not FontName
            (external).

I suspect in your case, someone created some text with Arial, embedded the font
            and created Arial *, formatted the text to Arial *. Then at some later stage, the
            internal Arial * font member was deleted. Maybe text members were deleted too.
            But, at least one text member remained that has its formatting set to Arial *.
            And since the member cannot be found, you now get that Missing font message.

So, as Mike said, embedding Arial and creating an internal Arial * font cast
            member will fix the problem as the font will be found. But, I'd suggest you go
            through all your text members and make sure their formatting is what you want
            them to be and if you find an Arial * member that you're not using, just delete
            it. If you do want text with Arial, just format it to Arial without teh * as
            you'll know this will eb available on all Windows computers.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au