34 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 9:36 AM by davidmacy RSS

Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

bjheinley

I'm experiencing what I considerable a major issue in CS5 where I have points and lines that are, apparently, snapping to some unknown grid or point.

It's most noticeable when I'm working on an illustration, and then I scale it down.. all of a sudden things get wonky.

I'm a longtime illustrator user and am pretty familiar with the ins and outs of these functions... just wondering if something has changed in CS5 or if anyone else has experienced this... and obviously looking for a solution. Thanks!

BJ Heinley

howdy@heinley.com

Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 12.57.54 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-07-07 at 12.58.18 PM.png

• 1. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
          Eric Livingston Community Member

Having the same problem - was trying to align a vertical line with the center point in a circle - the closest I could get the line to the center poitn was approx 1 pixel up and 1 pixel left. I've never experienced a precision problem like this in Adobe products before - very strange. Tried changing keyboard increments and transparency grid resolution ot see if anything would change it. If I make the circle and line larger, it works OK. Also, when scaling things down, they now become slightly out of alignment.

Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 2.46.56 PM.png

• 2. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
            Jesseham Community Member

Is "view -> snap to grid" turned on or is "align new objects to pixel grid" (in the flyout menu of the transform panel) checked?

• 3. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
              bjheinley Community Member

This might have worked ..

--»  Align new objects to pixel grid" (in the flyout menu of the transform panel)

... I'm going to do some further tests this evening, but I just did a quick one and it seemed to do the trick!

• 4. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                123cmec

Clicking on the Transorm, click the flyout menu and uncheck align new objects to pixel grid works.

Thanks Jesseham

• 5. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                  Mutem

Thank God for this thread because I having the same issue.  Unchecking the "Align to Pixel Grid" fixed my issue.   Thanks Jess...

• 6. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                    psisar

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. This issue was driving me absolutely crazy. THANK YOU!!!!

• 7. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                      Eric Livingston Community Member

Turned off align to pixel grid and snap to grid was off - it doesn't fix it. Don't know why it's working for everyone else but it's not for my computer. Smart guides are off too. all snapping is off.

• 8. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                        therabbit86ed Community Member

This wasn't solved for me either after turning off the 'Align New Objects to Pixel Grid' or unchecking everything in my smart guides preferences. I am working on a small scale to begin with and this is frustrating the crap out of me because I never had this problem in Illustrator CS3.

Please Help!

• 9. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                          nomis123 Community Member

I’ve still got this issue, and the fly-out menu setting hasn’t worked for me either.

Furthermore, I’ve got another related problem in working at small sizes, when objects aren’t the size they should be, further adding to aligning woes. I tried to align a small circle and square, and not only were they not aligned, they weren’t the right size either.

E.g. I created a 4mm x 4.mm cirle using the elipse tool, and a “square” using the rectangle tool dialog box, which then patently wasn’t square on screen, and bringing up the dialog box it now read 3.88mm x 4.2mm. They wouldn’t align centre to each other either.

Any other suggestions very welcome!

• 10. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                            psisar Community Member

You don't use the flyout menu, there's a checkbox in the transform panel which you have to uncheck.

• 11. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

Ah thanks, psisar, that’s good of you to get back to me so quickly, but the fly-out menu should change the pixel alignment setting for the whole document (like un-checking the tick box in the initial set-up panel when you create a new document).

I think that I see the problem may be that if you change the over-all setting via the fly-out) it doesn’t make the change to all existing objects, only to new ones (which is fair enough, but not something which was obvious to me in the middle of last night). The good thing is, once you have made the change in the fly-out menu, you won’t have to un-tick in the alignment panel any more.

Better yet, un-tick it when you make a new document, and the problem doesn’t arise.

I think having it checked as the default is an error, really: I presume it helps those who use Illustrator in web-work, but it was counter-intuitive for a print based person like me.

But thank you once more for the help - it clarified something which was puzzling me.

Simon

• 12. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                davidmacy Adobe Employee

The setting Align to Pixel Grid is available in 4 places:

1. In the New Document Dialog under Advanced. Here it is on by default ONLY for the Web profile and Flash Catalyst profile

2. In the Transform panel. Here it controls individual selections.

3. In the flyout menu of the transform panel. Here the setting is Align New Objects to Pixel Grid and it only controls newly created objects, NOT anything that is already in the document.

4. In the Symbol Options dialog. Here it sets whether each instance of a symbol will be pixel adjusted.

There is also an option available under the Select menu: Select > Object > Not Aligned to Pixel grid. You can use this to check for alignment after creating content.

• 13. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

I agree.. how retarded is it that it's checked in the first place! -BJ

• 14. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

Many thanks for the clarification, davidmacy; I found that the profiles supplied were singularly unhelpful to me - I work as standard in RGB at A4, which I had though pretty normal, but Adobe hadn’t thought to include, so have had to work with a custom set-up, based on the “Basic RGB” one - don’t know how/when I must have checked the box in the set up panel…

• 15. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                      davidmacy Adobe Employee

You are welcome.

You may want to create your own Document Startup Profile to add to the list that shows up in the New Document dialog

see

http://blogs.adobe.com/infiniteresolution/2009/05/startup_profiles_a_great_tool.html

for tips on what you can define in Document Startup Profiles. That blog was written before CS5, so now you can add the Align to Pixel setting to the list.

• 16. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                        MeltingDog

This is all very well: I had the same problem with Align to Pixel Grid being checked. But now whenever I create a new object it rechecks the box so I must constantly uncheck it. Anyway to turn it off for the whole document?

Sorry disregard that. didnt read the above posts properly

Message was edited by: MeltingDog

• 17. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                          davidmacy Adobe Employee

Please see setting 3 listed in my post of Aug 19, 2010 10:53 AM in this same thread.

• 18. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                            mmdemeyer Community Member

I had issues snapping guides to point or to zero origins. Turned off  Smart Guides, made sure that pixel and perspective grid options were  off, still did not work. Drove me crazy but I think I found the issue.  Under 'View' menus, under 'Rulers', select 'Change to Global Rulers'.  Mine by default was set to 'Change to Artboard Rulers'. As soon as I did  this, my 'snapping' worked as it did for CS3 and CS4.

• 19. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                              coltapini Community Member

The reason this is a feature is for the saving. did you ever make a 1px straight line and have it blury when you saved it. This feature gets rid of that.

Here is a blog post by John Nack:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/05/illustrator_cs5_has_excellent_pixel_chops.html

(it's too bad the "fix" broke other things, in my opinion it isn't illustrator but the user that needs to be aware of pixels)

• 20. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

Sorry, but that doesn’t seem to be a justification at all for the 

change - in fact that makes me even more dissatisfied!

Illustrator may be bad for web work, but that’s not what it’s for; 

it’s wrecking what it is fantastic at (print graphics) to cater for a 

use that it doesn’t need. You might as well add a synthesizer because 

it’s not good at music, or a thing for doing tax returns because it’s 

no good at accountancy.

It’s a post-script programme, for creating vector art for print. I 

have used it for around a couple of decades now, and if I wanted to 

do pixel art, I’d use Photoshop.

Please don’t turn Illustrator into a weak web-graphics thing at the 

expense of its core skill, and please don’t blame the user when you do!

• 21. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

Sorry Nomis, Adobe Illustrator is for illustrating with vectors in all media, not just print design. I've been using illustrator for 16 years almost exclusively for web and internet related work and while I understand what you're saying about why it was originally created, that's not necessarily it's primary function.

• 22. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

I’m sorry, but I disagree with you entirely - pixel work is not the primary function of a vector - it’s a contradiction in terms. Vectors were designed to free us from the pixel grid, and now that’s being screwed up. Good for you if you’ve been using it for web-work for so long, but that *isn’t what it’s for. It may be what it it is to become, but I think that it is at the expense of what it is/ was really good at. The very least that should have been done is to leave the default position as to not to snap to grid, and let those that wish to hobble the vector in favour of screen work turn it on…

• 23. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

You can disagree all you want, but that doesn't mean that you're right.

The web, the film industry, 3D design, any pdf file, iconography, user interface and user experience, the iphone/ipad and many, MANY more use Illustrator as the starting point if not the main place to work with vector based projects. Your argument is weak, and if you think illustrator's only purpose on the planet is for print, then you need to pull your head out of 1996 and get with the program (sic) here in 2010.

I'll let you have the last word as your weak argument needs a few more words .. but in case you missed them, here are a few examples of Adobe Illustrator being used for (gasp) Illustration!

http://www.khulsey.com/masters_yukio_miyamoto.html

http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/39-astonishing-examples-of-3d-typography/

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/05/illustrator-tutorials-best-of/

Happy Halloween to the rest of you.. BJ

• 24. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

Gosh, I’m devastated by  the strength of your argument, and cut to the quick that you left me out of your happy Hallowe’en!

I bow out, because I’m not going to rise to your flame bait and trolling.

You can disagree all you want, but that doesn't mean that you're right.

The web, the film industry, 3D design, any pdf file, iconography, user interface and user experience, the iphone/ipad and many, MANY more use Illustrator as the starting point if not the main place to work with vector based projects. Your argument is weak, and if you think illustrator's only purpose on the planet is for print, then you need to pull your head out of 1996 and get with the program (sic) here in 2010.

I'll let you have the last word as your weak argument needs a few more words .. but in case you missed them, here are a few examples of Adobe Illustrator being used for (gasp) Illustration!

http://www.khulsey.com/masters_yukio_miyamoto.html

http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/39-astonishing-examples-of-3d-typography/

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/05/illustrator-tutorials-best-of/

Happy Halloween to the rest of you.. BJ

>

• 25. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                          pjm10 Community Member

The best thing you can do is go back to using cs3, Adobe wrecked smart guides in cs4 and cs5.

• 26. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

are you kidding? Go back to cs3. There are way to many features in cs4 alone let alone cs5. If it was only the artboard tool it would be worth the upgrade. Have you researched the guides? You can easily turn them off or work around them. If you have questions ask and you will get some better answers and be able to use the great stuff in cs5.

"sometimes you need to fly a kite; in hopes that eventually you'll leave the ground" --

• 27. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                              pjm10 Community Member

Hi there,

I design furniture and interiors and need accuracy. Adobe changed the smart guides after cs3 and messed them up, they

snap all over the place.If you explore smart guides a bit more you will find they are truly ****** and there is NO FIX.

I have cs3/4/5 loaded when i need to draw anything in anyway detailed I use cs3. Many people like yourself using illustrator are not aware of the problem.

• 28. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator

I don't think there is anyone who uses vector and doesn't expect / require precision. With my workflow, I have never relied on snapping for precision, I always use the x and y coordinates.  I am never off with that.

Colt Pini

“sometime you need to fly a kite in hopes that, some day, you will leave the ground.”

• 29. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                                  pjm10 Community Member

Hi there,

I am glad using the x and y coordinates works for you.I rely on the smart guides to do their job and they simply

do not work properly.

• 30. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                                    psisar Community Member

Smart guides are supposed to snap, thats their feature. Use rulers instead if you're trying to align your objects to measurements.

• 31. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                                      jaseinatl@gmail.com Community Member

SIDENOTE: First of all, I can't believe just how miserable and nasty and hateful people get in Adobe forums. I have been in this industry for more than 20 years and consistently the people posting to these forums are just intolerant, and rude.

To wit, the comments you have made, JB, are really uncalled for. Especially when you consider the fact that you have taken the context out of the discussion and reinforced it with haughty arrogance in a childish and laughable, "I'll let you have the last word, because I am better than you" attitude. Are you proud of yourself? You missed the point completely and your intolerance says more about your ignorance than it does your 16 years of experience.

The point of the matter is that nomis has a valid point regarding the focus of Illustrator: it is a vector based illustration program first. Where his argument went astray was his assertion that it's primary USE is for print illustration. While that may be his primary use and while it may be his opinion that it is best for said use, that is not the issue and your beligerence simply took the conversation in the wrong direction.

So, not in anyone's defense, I would like to clarify that the issue is not what Illustrator should be used for, but rather what the focus of the program should be and whether the default settings should remain consistent with Illustrator's previous core functionality.

Ironically, in the first paragraph of Smashing Magazine's article about Illustrator (which you used as a supporting reference in your argument) you will find:

[people] use Illustrator to create vector-based graphics which — contrary to raster-based editors such as Adobe Photoshop

Pixel-based graphics are raster-based. Vector graphics, according to one of your own sources, are by definition not pixel or raster based.

According to Wikipedia's article on Vector Graphics:

Vector graphics formats are complementary to raster graphics, which is the representation of images as an array of pixels, as is typically used for the representation of photographic images

The entire concept of vector-based graphics was to create an image that was NOT dependent on pixel resolution. This gives you the advantage of scaling a vector-based image to almost any size while maintaining it's appearance. It could be said that by definition, vector-based artwork is non-pixel depth dependent. This makes it completely counter-intuitive to have a pixel-snapping feature be the default setting for a program whose primary focus has historically been and should remain the production of non-resolution or non-pixel based illustration.

The notion that it is bad to add raster effects and pixel-grid alignment to an otherwise purely vector-based illustration program is not even being questioned here. It's whether the default settings for a vector-based illustration program should be based on resolution-dependent, media-dependent, pixel-based graphics or should the default settings maintain allegiance to the very prinicipal of vector-based illustration?

Also, I would like to point out that your first link, though showing an outstanding use of vector-based illustration to create photo-realistic images without the use of raster effects, does more to damage your argument than support it as well. The reflections and textures created by the featured artist (who has been using illustrator since it's creation) show how to use solid outlines, not raster effects and not pixel-aligned grids to create photorealism.

Even your example at Tutorial9.net lacks any support for the notion that  grid-based, resolution dependent graphics should be the defaults for illustrator. In fact not a single example of the 39 presented were created using illustrator alone. Every single example of 3D Typography used a raster-based illustration program or rasterizing renderer. None of that has anything to do with whether or not your graphics are aligned to a pixel grid or not*. And considering the dates of most of those images, they were undoubtedly done without the added functionality of pixel-grid alignment.

So, BJ, I have to say that I am shocked and amazed at your response. Not only are you completely off-base by attacking another user during a time of frustration and taking one small aspect of their argument to represent the entirety of the topic at hand, not only do you claim that the other user lacks support for his argument and that your experience makes you more qualified to have an opinion, but also your nasty demeanor, your arrogance, your lack of understanding and compassion are completely overshadowed by the fact that every reference you provided to support your argument was in fact a glowing example of why Illustrator is, has been, and should remain focused on vector-based Illustration--no matter for what you should choose to use it.

Sorry to be so easily baited by such simple trolling, but I am frustrated with Illustrator CS5's loss of focus as well. If I wanted pixel-based alignment, I'd have used Fireworks or Photoshop. In fact, I still do my work in Illustrator and import it into another program (usually photoshop) to produce non-scalable resolution dependent graphics--where the pixel-grid alignment just gets in the way. In fact, the only time I have found any benefit to pixel-grid alignment has been when using importing into Flash...but since HTML5's canvas handles the majority of what I used Flash for, I don't use it any more.

btw, my align functions still do not work, even with all the pixel-alignment garbage disabled-rough.

Jase

*okay, this is a little hyperbolic, but the intent justifies the exaggeration.

• 32. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                                        steve5555

This has been a HUGE pain in my rear. Thanks Adobe, for wasting a couple hours of my time. You've hidden the way to turn off this alignment, which should be a default value of "off". Way to go ... not!

• 33. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                                          steve5555 Community Member

Precisely! I don't need the application to do this for me. I couldn't line up my oject because it insisted on moving it .25px from where I wanted it. I turned off snap to grid. I unchecked the  item in the fly out menu. But I have to click on "show all options" to find the culprit of my problems. The default should be to have this box unchecked and then allow us to turn it on if we want.

• 34. Re: Alignment / Snapping Problems in CS5 Illustrator
                                                                            davidmacy Adobe Employee

Folks, the Align to Pixel Grid setting is OFF by default, UNLESS you start with the Web document profile.