38 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 8:12 AM by as2353 Branched from an earlier discussion.

About the List of Supported CUDA Cards

Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

[Moderator's Note: more info from Wil Renczes (Adobe)]

Here's the link in the help  documentation:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/CS5/Using/WSd79b3ca3b623cac9-e423b201260  b3b62c9-8000.html

Unfortunately, there wasn't a screenshot - so  here's one.  The GPU Acceleration option won't be available on  non-supported cards.

Mercury settings.jpg

• 1. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards

From Petrula:

The approved Nvidia Quadro cards will dramatically  speed up composite CS5 renderings. What about encoding?

Does Quadro card affect encoding speeds (Adobe Media  Encoder) or transcoding in Encore?

If not, can  it theoretically?

If it can but does not  currently, will an update include encoding?

By the way, where are documents showing real world  rendering speeds of the approved Quadro cards for various PPro CS5 test  cases.

Thanks in advance.

• 2. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards

From RoboGuighes:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_gpus.html

I realize this topic has  been talked about alot, but isn't "CUDA" a low-level specific  language(for GPU-assisted acceleration) for the CUDA-enabled GPU's on  nvidia cards, which according to nvidia, is just about every GPU's from  the 8800's -> GT*-480',s, ...are also supported.

Why is it only the above  "5" cards that are mentioned in this thread that will work with CS5's  mercury GPU-acceleration ?

On a minor note, the  GTX285, around my area, is about as easy to buy as an Atari these days  ?  -thanks to nvidia.

thanks again.

Rick..

• 3. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
              Philip Colmer Level 1

The FX3800 is listed as a valid CUDA card for the Mercury Engine. Does this extend to the

FX3800M which is used in mobile workstations such as those from Dell?

If this can't be answered through the forum, is there a way of getting pre-sales support from Adobe? I do not want to spend several thousand £s on a new mobile workstation specifically for this purpose only to find it won't do the job.

Thanks.

--Philip

• 4. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I'm pretty sure that the FX3800M is not MPE enabled, or whatever the correct jargon happens to be!    I'm not sure that any laptop card is certified at the moment.

• 5. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                  Philip Colmer Level 1

After posting my initial query, I went to the nVidia site and found

this page which, near the bottom of the page, lists nVidia GPUs which are supposed to be compatible with CS5. Three of them have an asterisk against them which says "Adobe qualification will be available with upcoming software release.". One of those GPUs is the 5000M, which is a mobile GPU and has already been announced in an HP workstation and apparently should be available in a Dell workstation sometime as well.

Unfortunately, the nVidia page doesn't exactly make it clear when an "upcoming software release" might be available from Adobe :-(.

--Philip

• 7. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                    steveprc Level 1

Be careful about the information you get from the Adobe reps. I specifically asked the sales representative if it was compatible with my Quadro FX 5600, and he said "Yes, my supervisor just confirmed that it's supported." When I asked a second and third time just to be sure, because it wasn't on the list of the promotional email that prompted my call, he kept insisting, "Yes, it's supported. It's not listed in the promotional email because we don't have room to list all the compatible video cards" Well, that turned out to be complete bunk along with just about everything else that he told me. So, don't put too much faith into what an Adobe rep will tell you. If you get the same one that I did, he'll tell you anything you want to hear. Now I have CS5 Master Collection (actually two of them, but it's a longer story) and a rather expensive, but incompatible video card. I have to stick with the Quadro line for SolidWorks support. So now I'll have to drop another couple grand on another card to take advantage of these features, in spite of the sales rep's insistence that my current configuration will work.

• 8. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Be careful about the information you get from the Adobe reps.

You don't have to be careful about the information that you get from this "Adobe rep".

Regarding Phillip's original question: Here's the complete list of cards that Premiere Pro uses for CUDA acceleration of effects. The 3800M isn't on that list; therefore it is not used by Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.0 or 5.0.1) to provide acceleration of rendering of effects.

Regarding any statements of what may or may not be coming in a future release: Yes, a new update is coming quite soon. Yes, we have publicly stated that it will enable some additional cards for CUDA acceleration of effects. The only thing that has been officially and publicly stated is that an update this year would add support for some cards with the "Fermi architecture".

I promise you that if you hold off speculating for just a tiny amount of time longer, you can get solid information from the official documentation of the update.

• 9. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                        Philip Colmer Level 1

Todd - thank you for the information you provided.

I do find it all too easy to look at the list of supported nVidia processors and think "what difference would an M make?" - I know it is wrong but I guess I'm like a lot of other people who are wanting to use mobile workstations with CS5 - we want to take advantage of MPE and are somewhat disappointed by the fact that there aren't any mobile GPUs listed at the moment.

Hopefully (particularly if nVidia's asterisk on their website is correct), we'll see some positive news about that soon. It is good to learn that it isn't too far away. That's it - no more speculation from me now :-). I can wait.

--Philip

• 10. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                          jeremy d. Level 3

Where did you find this Adobe rep?

steveprc wrote:

Be careful about the information you get from the Adobe reps. I specifically asked the sales representative if it was compatible with my Quadro FX 5600, and he said "Yes, my supervisor just confirmed that it's supported." When I asked a second and third time just to be sure, because it wasn't on the list of the promotional email that prompted my call, he kept insisting, "Yes, it's supported. It's not listed in the promotional email because we don't have room to list all the compatible video cards" Well, that turned out to be complete bunk along with just about everything else that he told me. So, don't put too much faith into what an Adobe rep will tell you. If you get the same one that I did, he'll tell you anything you want to hear. Now I have CS5 Master Collection (actually two of them, but it's a longer story) and a rather expensive, but incompatible video card. I have to stick with the Quadro line for SolidWorks support. So now I'll have to drop another couple grand on another card to take advantage of these features, in spite of the sales rep's insistence that my current configuration will work.

• 11. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                            Rkenosha

I wonder if the sales rep knew about the hack that most people are using to support and run their unsupported cards?

RS

• 12. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                              steveprc Level 1

Jeremy, I contacted Adobe in response to a promotional email that was sent out on August 12th explaining the virtues of Premiere Pro CS5 explaining CUDA and MPE. I use PP quite often along with most other Adobe products, and have for years, so I decided to give Adobe a call on their customer service number because I have a Quadro FX 5600, not a 5800, and I wanted to know if the card would be compatible. This was above the level of knowledge of the support staff in India, or wherever they're located, so I was transferred to a higher level support staffer that was supposed to be able to answer my question. It appears in hindsight, that I was not transferred to technical staff, but instead to a sales rep here stateside. Of course that wasn't disclosed, but if they can definitively answer my question, I don't care what department they're from. So, it was directed to this person by Adobe as a direct result of a techincal question that I needed answered before purchasing the entire CS5 Master Collection. In fact, I believe his name was Jeremy. You by any chance?

The rep didn't mention anything about a hack to enable cards such as mine, but after finding out that the answer I was given was a total fabrication, I decided to give it a try. It apparently doesn't work with my card even though the last few driver updates specifically include CUDA and MPE features.

Todd, I appoligize if you felt included in my criticism - it wasn't directed at you. You've been helpful and I'm sure there are many others like you, but my purchase experience related to my CS5 upgrade is the worst I've ever had with Adobe in my 25 year history of using your products. I've worked in publishing since the early 80s and our company was one of the first in the country to fully adopt desktop publishing, and Adobe products were always a significant part of the process. We consulted and beta tested for Aldus, Adobe, Apple, Quark and even Next (Jobs failed DTP system venture in the late 80s/early 90s when he was fired from Apple), so I've been a strong advocate of Adobe products for decades. After this most recent experience, not so much. The saga still continues even today, nearly three weeks later. It's been a sobering experience to say the least.

• 13. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

For those following along, here's the thread in which Steve first gave the details of the bad information that he was given:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3050200#3050200

I told Steve in email that I had forwarded his information to the person in charge of dealing with sales and customer service mistakes like this, and that he should let me know whether they responded and resolved his issue.

• 14. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                  steveprc Level 1

Todd, thanks for the follow-up. I since reviewed my email to you and recall that the reps name is Tyler, and not Jeremy, so my mistake on that. Nobody has responded to resolve the issue, other than to let me know that I need to return the first software package that I puchased within 30 days. The problem is, the package was delivered to the wrong address (not the address indicated in the confirmation email or the address I had given to the sales rep) according to FedEx tracking data, and it hasn't surfaced yet. Apparently, it was dropped outside the door with no signature required, and the people at that residence haven't seen the package. So, my apprehension about spending a lot of money on a second software package to resolve the issue (as suggested by another Adobe rep as my only solution at the time) appears to have been well founded. Now I'm on the hook for a second CS5 Master Suite package, and have no way to put my hands on the package to return it. The folks in San Jose are well insulated from their customers and so difficult to contact, that I'm not sure where to go next. The foreign support staff are incapable of making a decision on this, and the people that I really need to talk with are entrenched in their offices in San Jose and are impossible to contact. Any suggestions? I've run out of time and patience on this issue.

• 15. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>package was delivered to the wrong address (not the address indicated in the confirmation email or the address I had given to the sales rep) according to FedEx tracking data

That is the fault of FedEx, and they should pay for the lost item

BUT... my understanding is that YOU may not file a FedEx claim, since you are not the one who sent the item and paid FedEx for delivery

If you paid by credit card, enter a dispute claim with your card to see if they will take the $$ back from Adobe for you

Adobe is the party to file a claim with FedEx... again, as far as I know

• 16. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                      steveprc Level 1

You are 100-percent correct. Which is another aspect of this transaction that is so troubling. I told Adobe that I had not received the package, and went so far as to go to the address where it was supposed to be delivered to try and find it. But Adobe didn't initiate a claim with FedEx. Instead, I just got a form letter than tells me that I need to return the package within 30 days of purchase in order to receive a refund. It shouldn't be this much work to be a customer.

• 17. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Steve,

According to one of our customer service folks, this should be taken care of now. Let me know if that isn't the case.

• 18. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                          steveprc Level 1

Hello Todd,

Thanks very much for the follow-up. I have not heard from anyone in customer service since our last email. That doesn't mean that nothing has happened, but I would have to imagine that they'd want to keep me in the loop regarding the status of this issue.

Best regards,

Steve Pond

• 19. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                            rickg1949 Level 1

Any info about the 5.0.2 upgrade and if it will allow me to get "Mercury-Power" out of my Quadro FX 5600 card?  Option still seems to be grayed out.  Is there something else I might need to do (driver, etc) to get that functionality?  Would love to add the horsepower.

all the best,

RG

• 20. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Just increase the memory to 1+ GB and then it may work.

• 21. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for details about what's in the update:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/09/premiere-pro-cs5-5-0-2-update.html

"Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) for Windows adds support for the following  graphics cards to accelerate processing using CUDA technology on the  GPU: GTX 470, Quadro 4000, and Quadro 5000."

• 22. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                  klsteven-vBdprK Level 1

Todd, can you tell us why the GTX 480 is not supported?

• 23. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                    rickg1949 Level 1

Preferences show I have 6.5gigs allotted to PR, AE, EN and 1.5gigs to "other apps".  Guess my Quadro FX 5600 is left in purgatory for some reason.  I'd think that if a 4000 and a 5800 are supported that the one in the middle should be too??

• 24. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Not with only 256 MB memory. You need practically at least 900+ MB on your video card.

• 25. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                        steveprc Level 1

My FX 5600 has 1.5G of memory on the video card, I have 29 GB of memory dedicated to Premiere Pro, and 6TB of hard drive space for scratch discs if needed. I also have the latest driver that adds CUDA support and all the bells and whistles that are needed for my card to be compatible. Still no joy. Forget the fact that the adobe sales rep said it WAS compatible... ( a whole other story).

• 26. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We only certify and officially support a limited set of cards because that official support implies a high level of confidence in performance and the overall robustness and quality of the experience. We must test something very thoroughly before we officially support it. We can't test every card without drawing resources away from other things that (I think) you would agree are important.

I think that the conversation about which cards we choose to support is an interesting one, but it really requires the participation of the individuals who make those decisions. I think that what I'll do is talk to those people about doing a guest post on my Premiere Pro team blog.

• 27. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                            Douggie_Han Level 1

Hi Todd,

I can understand and agree with adobe position "We can't test every card without drawing resources away from other things that (I think) you would agree are important"

However, if you can share, is 480 still being tested so that it will be listed as offical at some point of time or there has been a decision by adobe to drop it.

Cheers

• 28. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Douggie, I have to say "no comment" to your last question. I'll try to get someone else to give a more satisfactory answer.

• 29. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

From what I heard, was that there was a limited time frame to test a certain set of cards, and the 470 was picked over the 480 purely because the 470 is available both on the mac & win platforms, whereas the 480 isn't available on the mac.  From a technical standpoint, both are Fermi, and 5.0.2 has a bunch of improvements for Fermi - both will benefit.

• 30. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                  naartjie gello

Hi,

It looks like only Nvidia cards are supported for Mercury playback. I have an ATI Radeon 4850. Are there any plans to provide Mercury playback support for ATi cards?

Thanks

• 31. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                    Flash2k8

This is seriously the most donkey thing ever...   the only fundamental difference between the GTX 470 and the GTX 480 is memory size and number of active cores.   They use the exact same GPU die, the lower performing units get binned as 470s and the better performing units get binned as 480s.

There's no reason Adobe couldn't have enabled the GTX 480 in this release, it's just another example of poor software release cycles and excuses about not being able to certify a card in time.   Give me a break, driver sets, instruction sets, CUDA versions, physical hardware of the GPU .. it's all the same, it should have been enabled.

Just like the GTX 285, the 260, 280, 275 .. those all should be enabled too, same architecture, same fundamental hardware, same driver sets, same instruction sets, no reason for Adobe to not include them other than working with Nvidia to ensure the Quadro line continues to sell.

Typical Adobe, but don't worry guys, they'll drag us out waiting for 6-9 months, then announce CS6 or some other upgrade version, extract some more money to give us support for a card that should already be enabled.

Cat and mouse .. the game never ends.

• 32. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                      tclark513 Level 3

Flash2k8 wrote:

This is seriously the most donkey thing ever...   the only fundamental difference between the GTX 470 and the GTX 480 is memory size and number of active cores.   They use the exact same GPU die, the lower performing units get binned as 470s and the better performing units get binned as 480s.

There's no reason Adobe couldn't have enabled the GTX 480 in this release, it's just another example of poor software release cycles and excuses about not being able to certify a card in time.   Give me a break, driver sets, instruction sets, CUDA versions, physical hardware of the GPU .. it's all the same, it should have been enabled.

Just like the GTX 285, the 260, 280, 275 .. those all should be enabled too, same architecture, same fundamental hardware, same driver sets, same instruction sets, no reason for Adobe to not include them other than working with Nvidia to ensure the Quadro line continues to sell.

Typical Adobe, but don't worry guys, they'll drag us out waiting for 6-9 months, then announce CS6 or some other upgrade version, extract some more money to give us support for a card that should already be enabled.

Cat and mouse .. the game never ends.

You are way off base!!!!!  I'm am thrilled with Adobe recently and the progression of Premiere!  Keep going Adobe!

• 33. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                        Flash2k8 Level 1

Clearly you didn't read the context of my post.  I'm not displeased with Premiere as a product, or its progression, nor do I think the new version is bad, I actually think the jump to 64-bit and many of the new features were by far the best move for the product overall.

My post is about the hardware, that is fundamentally the same, yet one is supported and the other is not, when there is ZERO reason for them not to enable it.   It's the same physical core, same driver, same instruction set, same baseline functions... IT'S THE SAME, so why enable the 470 and not the 480, the 480 is BETTER in every way, more active cores, more memory.

If the 470/480 were based on different die cores, I could see them not doing it, but they aren't.  Take apart any 470 or any 480 and you will see, it's exactly the same core.

One could speculate as to why they did this, but if you believe for a second it's because they "didn't have time to certify" the card, then I've got a bridge in Texas to sell you.

Do some homework on the NVidia line up, and maybe you'll also see why it's a complete joke that they don't have more cards on the supported list, when there's almost zero reason for it other than a marketing and joint sales ploy between the companies, neither of which help the consumer.

The purpose of the CUDA architecture is to provide a unified API set to enable programmers to access GPU based functions through a common set of instructions.  It doesn't matter what card you have, provided the generation of cards supports X instruction set it will work.  Any 200 series card will work, not just the 285 GTX.   Same with the 400s, the 460, 470, and 480 should all work since CUDA is the middleman between Adobes product and the Hardware.   For Adobe not to unlock that, and target very specific cards is ridiculous, and only hurts the end users.

Adobe may have a specific performance criteria it wants to attain, but if you base it on the lowest common denominator, then the higher performers should perform better, everybody wins.  Determine a happy medium, set all the cards to that level and if Adobe wants to tweak a few specific cards, so be it, but don't just lock the other cards that are more than capable and in some cases better than the supported cards from the features.

• 34. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I keep hearing the same song.  I'll repeat the logic that I posted when we first released CS5:  we kept hearing from our user base that Premiere needed to be more 'Pro'.  CUDA support for realtime effects was a big step in that regard.  However, with all the different chipsets and driver versions, the goal was that you'd get consistent, expected results.   You can't simply throw a dart & say 'yeah, a GTX 285 is good enough, so everything higher is certified'.  Sorry, but that's a load of hooie.   If someone encountered a rendering bug, then we'd be sitting there looking like fools saying 'well, it shoulda worked...'

Part of earning the Pro moniker is that we're guaranteeing that the render results will be better or equal to a software render.  The only way to ensure that is to certify a set of cards as we've done.  On top of that though, you've got the added bonus of being able to unlock any CUDA card you like, so you're not limited by what Adobe certifies.  So as far as I'm concerned, you've got the best of both worlds and no one's really losing here.

Remind me again what the problem is??

• 35. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                            Flash2k8 Level 1

Maybe Adobe should provide documentation on the "unsupported" unlocking feature then.

Many of your users don't visit these forums, nor do they randomly go searching the net for "work arounds".  If the application has the ability to be unlocked, if a user CHOOSES to override what Adobe "certifies" .. then throw a pop up, or a disclaimer or something to let the user know... "Hey, you can do this, but it's at your own risk, we've only validated X, Y, and Z cards but other CUDA cards have been successful from our user base."

The issue is that Adobe isn't providing any kind of "official" documentation about the situation, and instead the public is left to figure it out on their own, and then they're left wondering .. "Well, am I hacking the program?  Is this against the license agreement?  Can I get in trouble?  Will patches break this?  Will my changes break future patches?" or any number of other thoughts.

See the problem?  Sure we have the best of both worlds, but there's no documentation from Adobe supporting it, and most users won't even know that a work around exists.   They just get their product, see Mercury Playback Engine then see it can't be enabled because they have a GTX 480 instead of a GTX 470 and are upset about it.

I personally don't care, if I want the app to work a certain way, I'll make it work a certain way myself, but the general population may not be so savvy.

• 36. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Wil,

Well stated, and thank you for sharing. Too often we users loose sight of what it takes to produce the software, and then certify the hardware. You insight is appreciated.

Hunt

• 37. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Maybe Adobe should provide documentation on the "unsupported" unlocking feature then

Wil told you about what's supported. He then mentioned something that is unsupported. Adobe will not provide official documentation on something that is unsupported; that would be... well... support. If you use an untested, uncertified, unsupported card, that's your business. If another user helps you to do so, that's between you and them.

• 38. Re: About the List of Supported CUDA Cards
                                                                                  as2353 Level 1
                                                                                  you've got the added bonus of being able to unlock any CUDA card you like

It's a good point, although strangely enough, my card: the Quadro FX5600 seems to meet ALL the requirements for MPE (albeit not cs5 certified) including 1.5 gigs of fast on board RAM with a price tag of over $1,500.  I'm more than a little curious as to why this card will not work with the MPE - my edit system was purchased before the release of Cs5 with the thinking being "buy the best video card you can afford" to assist with Open GL previwes, etc.

Is there something specific about this card that will never make it incompatable with MPE? If so I'd be happy to sell it and buy one of the 'Certified Cards' for a third of the price.

Adobe Premiere keeps getting better, and I whole heartedly applaud the progress - so far CS5 is incredibly stable  - but...and I'm speaking as a die hard  Premiere user  - it had a long way to go.